DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Terminal List

The two main stars are Chris Pratt and Constance Wu but the full list of folks is...

Hide contents

The series stars Pratt, Constance Wu, Taylor Kitsch, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Riley Keough, Arlo Mertz, Jai Courtney, JD Pardo, Patrick Schwarzenegger, LaMonica Garrett, Stephen Bishop, Sean Gunn, Tyner Rushing, Jared Shaw, Christina Vidal, Nick Chinlund, Matthew Rauch, Warren Kole, and Alexis Louder.

I miss when Chris Pratt was just Andy Dwyer and Peter Quill, which was just a less dumb Andy Dwyer.

• Like 1

I'm liking Under the Banner of Heaven but I think I'm spoiled on HBO and its like; I actually just don't want commercial breaks or the suggestion of them in my TV anymore.  I think something like this really suffers for it, since the transitions feel more jarring as a result.  I've seen people here and there compare it to True Detective but it's not really a fair comparison; maybe S3, but even then, not really.  The whole narrative structure of that show lends itself to cool storytelling tricks, and this is a lot more straightforward.  The imagined historical flashbacks were pretty hokey at the start, but they get a lot, lot, lot better as the show goes on.

But, mostly, the show is just

Spoiler

a big fat reminder that religious people are fucking crazy.  Good people tend to do good things, and bad people tend to do bad things, but to get a good person to do a bad thing takes religion, and that's the through line of this show if there ever was one. 

I think the (relative*) straightforwardness of UTBOH is one of my favorite things about it. Too many shows fuck themselves up trying to be too clever for their own good.

*I feel like it’s probably not a spoiler to say that there’s a certain member of the cast who is clearly a bigger star than the role he’s playing in the first few episodes, so you implicitly know there’s some kind of shoe waiting to drop with him, but the way the show slowly unravels that character over episodes 4 and 5 is top notch stuff. And of course the actor nails it.

And, in terms of narrative structure, I love that the show patiently waited to reveal that it wasn’t playing *completely* straight with the audience to coincide with the point in the story when Det. Pyre is beginning to realize just how much the church hasn’t been playing straight with him. Any time you can put the audience and the main character in the same headspace, you’ve done a damn good job.

Barry last night had maybe one of the funniest/darkest segments in the history of the show with Barry describing what he could do to the head of the Banshe channel. I was laughing my ass off. It was so fucked up and I want to know what the process was like to write that dialogue.

Finally got around to watching the Atlanta finale and, man, I know reviews for it were positive, but I hated this season. I watch Atlanta for the goings on with Ern, Al, and Darius and whatever weird hijinks they get themselves into while Ern is always teetering on getting fired by Al. This season was just fucking weird. Just a lot of social commentary and the finale being all about Van and a seemingly flash forward of Van now having a French accent and wanting to move to France was just whatever. If Van were wanting to move to Germany then I would at least buy that, but France? It was just weird for the sake of being weird. The only good part of the finale was the amazing cameo with that guy playing himself. The rest though? I just don't care about Van in this series and never really have. I believe that they shot seasons 3 and 4 back to back with 4 being the final season so I'm hoping that season 4 will have the group out of Europe and the series gets back to normal, as weird as its normal usually is, and less of whatever the fuck this season was, which I think I can only describe as experimental.

Trailers for two of the new CBS shows

East New York

Fire Country

Apparently to get a series order - someone has to have a stupid mustache on each show.

Oh and East New York is the one that has Rusev as a bad guy

So, Seth Green created a show based on NFT's, specifically his Bored Ape Yacht Club purchase:  

General awfulness and casual(?) homophobia aside...   You know what's coming next...

Seth fell for a Phishing website and all his apes are gone.

The best part is now the show is in complete legal limbo.  Since someone else bought the NFT that was scammed from him, he does not own the copyrights to the character.  He says he's working with the authorities to get his jpegs back, but the whole point of crypto...  

So, yeah... lol.  

I just read that hotels are considering making reservations NFTs so that guests are stuck with having to resell it like a concert ticket instead of being able to cancel if they can’t make it. So, ya know…fuck Seth Green and fuck everything else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, Seth Green created a show based on NFT's, specifically his Bored Ape Yacht Club purchase:  

General awfulness and casual(?) homophobia aside...   You know what's coming next...

Seth fell for a Phishing website and all his apes are gone.

The best part is now the show is in complete legal limbo.  Since someone else bought the NFT that was scammed from him, he does not own the copyrights to the character.  He says he's working with the authorities to get his jpegs back, but the whole point of crypto...  

So, yeah... lol.  

This actually sounds like a good setup for a mockumentary on NFTs.

• Like 1

Dan Olson, he of the great "Line Goes Up" documentary about crypto, pointing out the issues of thinking owning an NFT of somehow gives you IP rights over it. He rightly points out that trying to do a show about this one character would lead to all sorts of issues with owners of near identical NFTs.

See also the choads who bought the NFT of the Jodorowsky's book of storyboards and designs for Dune and thinking that somehow meant they'd be able to start making Dune television shows.

If Seth Green was making a show featuring a Bored Ape Yacht Club character, my guess is that it's because BAYC sold him the rights and not because he bought this one NFT. If I had to guess, I feel like this is a publicity stunt and Seth Green purposely sold/"lost" the NFT.

Thread goes into it:

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, (BP) said:

I just read that hotels are considering making reservations NFTs so that guests are stuck with having to resell it like a concert ticket instead of being able to cancel if they can’t make it.

And free hotels from the responsibility of managing reservations while restricting customer flexibility?  No thanks.  Shit happens and people may need to cancel.  It's not their job to find another customer for the hotel chain.

• Like 3

East New York had me at Jimmy Smits. It REALLY had me when Richard Kind showed up!

I'm hoping the gag for True Lies is that neighbor who watches the kids (who is supposed o be an assassin)  keeps us waiting through the first season for the moment when she kicks ass.

James

Sony confirmed today that Netflix is actively developing a Horizon Zero Dawn show, Amazon is doing the same with God of War and a Gran Turismo show (but no streaming service/channel was named, I’m pretty sure).

I had a film professor in college (circa 2000) tell me that the only genres that had never produced a great movie were biblical epics and video game adaptations.  I can't disagree with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Log said:

I had a film professor in college (circa 2000) tell me that the only genres that had never produced a great movie were biblical epics and video game adaptations.  I can't disagree with that.

Hey, the Heston Ben-Hur was great..

Well I mean the Chariot Race scene was great, and most everything after the first 45 minutes... well ok, he might be right.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Hey, the Heston Ben-Hur was great..

Well I mean the Chariot Race scene was great, and most everything after the first 45 minutes... well ok, he might be right.

Ben Hur's not in the Bible, though.  I know it's based on a Christian novel, but not technically biblical.

53 minutes ago, Log said:

Ben Hur's not in the Bible, though.  I know it's based on a Christian novel, but not technically biblical.

Well, I mean, Judah was present at the crucifixion, and ran into Christ a couple times.. (then there was the whole his mother and sister being cured of leprosy...)  that counts a biblical,  tangently, I guess...

• Like 1

That Halo series is at times pretty good and some of the time not good in the slightest. I still don't know how to feel about some of the stuff from the finale, mainly the big thing that happens with Master Chief. My other problem with Halo is that the guy playing Master Chief kinda sucks. My ideal actor for that role was always someone like Titus Welliver, just someone who is really grizzled and can appear tough. This dude in the role isn't remotely like the Chief.

Pablo Schreiber is great, but yeah he does suck as Master Chief. It's a weird choice for that role. But I only watched the first two episodes before jumping off that train, it's not something I need to see any more of.

1 hour ago, Log said:

MilkyBriefEyas-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Mortal Kombat movies might be a ten if you add their review scores up.

… and throw in the direct-to-video animated movies that came out recently.….

… and count the cheap, awful USA Network animated series from way back.

…… ok.  Not sure all of that gets you to 10, but you’ve got at least a solid 5 or 6 if you count all that together.  And there’s always the Street Fighter movies…… Those movies were….

Um, What was my point again?