DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Peacock has cancelled the Saved by the Bell reboot

I finally got around to using my Peacock to binge both seasons of this a couple months ago and ended up liking it way more than I expected to, so I am bummed it's already done. Mario Lopez always seemed thrilled with it in interviews.

It didn't hook me straight away but I ended up loving it by the end of season 1 and especially through season 2. Some amazing callbacks to the original, especially with regards to various songs used in the original. 

I had missed this because I don't watch the show but ABC announced last month that Dancing With the Stars will be moving to Disney+

The repeats will not air on ABC and will just be on the streaming service thus it will be the first live series on Disney+

The show got a two season renewal

(Ironically I only became aware of it because Nick Khan brought it up on the WWE investor call)

https://deadline.com/2022/05/fred-savage-fired-as-the-wonder-years-ep-director-following-investigation-into-inappropriate-conduct-1235018451/

The new Wonder Years show has yet to be renewed, but Fred Savage got canned as a show EP and director for being a giant a-hole.

I recall the allegations about him in regards to The Grindr, but first time I've heard of the Alley Mills claims in the piece.

God's Favorite Idiot

It is a Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone joint (as the kids would say) so you pretty much know what to expect

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

turns out that the guy falsely accused of being Marilyn Manson was one of the normal ones on the WY cast

He only removed a rib to fellate himself! Leave the guy alone, he’s not hurting anybody!  ?

Ah, the pre-internet good old days where we could actually have weird urban legends about celebrities.  Like Phil Collins singing a to a murderer and Richard Gere doing unspeakable things to rodents.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

He only removed a rib to fellate himself! Leave the guy alone, he’s not hurting anybody!  ?

Ah, the pre-internet good old days where we could actually have weird urban legends about celebrities.  Like Phil Collins singing a to a murderer and Richard Gere doing unspeakable things to rodents.

Or Fred Rogers... MARINE SNIPER!
That one really was beyond the realm of sanity

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

James

That one isn't overly hard to belive given Rogers' age, and that also on PBS you had former USAF First Sergeant Bob Ross.

Watched the first two episodes of The Pentaverate and it’s hysterical! I also love the idea that Mike Meyers walked into Netflix showed them a scene from So I Married an Axe Murderer and got a bunch of money to make this show. 

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

What’s really something is that Savage guest starred in this episode of Boy Meets World (which he also occasionally directed) about sexual harassment. 

when you get a role on your brothers show, where you're sexually harassing his on-screen girlfriend

The IASIP guys have talked about in the past about how Fred Savage was by the far the biggest party guy and would just get absolutely blasted drunk. So Fred Savage now getting called out for sexual harassment isn’t surprising. It’s kind of a 2+2=creep type of thing.

Oh, i too finished Ozark. I was mostly ok with the finale. 

Spoiler

If it didn’t end with at least one of the Byrdes winding up dead, then it was going to end with all of the Langmores being dead. The story always seemed to be headed in a these city folk go to the sticks and literally ruin everything and that’s exactly what happened. My one gripe was nearly everything with Camila. First, Marty is smart to know right away that Camila was the one who put the hit out on Omar. Second, Clare coming clean AT THAT MOMENT was pretty hackneyed. Like, come on, Camila is really going to let Clare admit that with no repercussions? Or Clare would wait that long to break the news that Ruth killed Javi? From her first second on screen Clare always looked like she would crumble like a cookie and she was able to hold out for that long and the moment she comes clean is right then?! Get the fuck outta here.

And the very end I’m iffy on. I don’t think the evidence would be admissible considering Mel broke in to get it. Everyone in that final scene should know that. And then Jonah doing a total 180 is a little hard to swallow.

All in all, I dug the series, but it just goes to show you that if you come from where I live in South Bend, then move to Chicago, and then venture down to the Ozarks, shit is going to get fucked up. Thankfully, I only tick two of those boxes. Live in South Bend, we go to visit my mother in law who lives down in the Ozarks, but my family hasn’t moved to Chicago…yet. So the Ozarks are safe for now. And I’m nowhere near as smart as Marty. When it comes to criminality, I’d be like the guys in Office Space looking up how to launder money and asking a dude selling magazines for advice.

• Like 1

Dunno how many of you have been watching Outer Range, but I just finished the last 2 episodes. If I had to sum up my feelings on it, I would use the Krusty "What the hell was that?" meme.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I still had notions up to the very last couple years that Bob Ross had seen some shit in Vietnam when in truth he was stationed in Alaska the whole time (as one helpful Tromatagon let me know). 

Yeah, but he was the ranking Enlisted man on a base in Alaska during the height of the Cold War.  That doesn't exactly jive with the guy we watch do painting for 20 years.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, J.H. said:

I am a fan of the legend that Jennifer Lopez's ass is insured for two million dollars and that Jamie Lee Curtis filmed the striptease scene in True Lies to show off her boobs and celebrate the successful hormone therapy geared to correct her hermaphroditism. 

• Haha 3

Good point; I'm sure they were on high alert back then. But anyway there are plenty of things that don't jive with our perception if you watch the documentary on him. Like him having a long-term affair with his older (I think, she looked it anyway) business partner, who ended up ripping him off and stealing the rights to his likeness without his permission. Or him coming up with the patented silky Ross voice after adjusting the pimp-hand voice he already had for that use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am a fan of the legend that Jennifer Lopez's ass is insured for two million dollars and that Jamie Lee Curtis filmed the striptease scene in True Lies to show off her boobs and celebrate the successful hormone therapy geared to correct her hermaphroditism. 

As someone who watched Trading Places 4665478544665512 times as a kid, I could never buy into Jamie Lee Curtis being anything but All-Woman.

• Like 5