DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Barry is... I just don't have words... Hader and Winkler are just firing on all fuckin cylinders. This season is just 2 episodes in and so intense.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

Man, Barry just gets crazier and crazier. Both the character and the show. I can't think of another series that has evolved like this one has. Not sure if this or Succession is HBO's best series, but at best it's a tie.

Meanwhile, am I the only one that is totally not feeling this season of Atlanta? I hate to say it has sucked, but man, it's kind of sucked. We got two non-sequitur episodes in one season. I get Donald Glover wanting to deliver some kind of message and is in kind of this Aziz-like space when it comes to making a TV series, but Aziz at least stuck to one non-sequitur episode a season and even that had to do with the overall series. This season of Atlanta has just been a mish-mash of some weird shit while we're I guess left to assume that in the last few years Paperboi has blown up.

I think the few things from Atlanta I've liked so far is a dude so rich that he had his own Nando's in his home, Darius seeing his favorite Nigerian restaurant get bought out and turned into a food truck by some white folks, and Al learning the hard way about creating a charitable organization and having his idea stolen from him. All of this shit with Ern and Zazie is boring. Ern running errands is boring. This season of Atlanta is just weird. Weirder than usual.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, Barry just gets crazier and crazier. Both the character and the show. I can't think of another series that has evolved like this one has. Not sure if this or Succession is HBO's best series, but at best it's a tie.

Meanwhile, am I the only one that is totally not feeling this season of Atlanta? I hate to say it has sucked, but man, it's kind of sucked. We got two non-sequitur episodes in one season. I get Donald Glover wanting to deliver some kind of message and is in kind of this Aziz-like space when it comes to making a TV series, but Aziz at least stuck to one non-sequitur episode a season and even that had to do with the overall series. This season of Atlanta has just been a mish-mash of some weird shit while we're I guess left to assume that in the last few years Paperboi has blown up.

I think the few things from Atlanta I've liked so far is a dude so rich that he had his own Nando's in his home, Darius seeing his favorite Nigerian restaurant get bought out and turned into a food truck by some white folks, and Al learning the hard way about creating a charitable organization and having his idea stolen from him. All of this shit with Ern and Zazie is boring. Ern running errands is boring. This season of Atlanta is just weird. Weirder than usual.

I've loved Atlanta this season.  There have been small connections between the non-sequitur episodes, so I kind of think they may end up leading to something.

I'm just looking at it as a quality series.  They're slowly moving the main story along, but I'm fine with all of the other stuff.  It's just all been so spot-on.

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

This season of Ozark has been great so far (I have 3 episodes left).  Also, it's funny seeing Veronica Falcon (Camila from Queen of the South) show up...playing another character named Camila. 

I hated the first episode.  I've enjoyed the series overall, but that one did not hit for me.  I'm sure it'll get better, though.

My thoughts on that first episode:

Spoiler

Why did we need a hundred Ruth flashbacks?  We know how close she was with her cousin.  If you're having to "prove" that after he's dead, then you haven't set it up well.  Also, Ruth is suddenly a serious hip hop connoisseur?  That was clunky as hell.

I did like the ending.  I thought they'd wuss out on her killing him, but she did it.  

• Like 1

Ruth has always been into hip hop. They've used Biggie, Wu Tang-Clu and Tribe Called Quest before for Ruth's scenes. I loved that surprise Killer Mike cameo, especially after they used his song "Untitled" so well. Great episode. Hand me on the edge of my seat right until the end. 

I thought it was great and seeing Wood fucking Harris basically remix the Stringer reveal from The Wire was inspired. Maybe it helps to NOT know the history because I have no issue with any creative license.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought it was great and seeing Wood fucking Harris basically remix the Stringer reveal from The Wire was inspired. Maybe it helps to NOT know the history because I have no issue with any creative license.

I mean, I mostly *do* know the history, but that hasn't stopped my enjoyment of it.

The Haywood stuff was incredible, and only slightly tweaked from what happened irl. Kareem and West, funnily enough are the two best characters on the show now.

• Like 1

Due to the success of Jackass Forever - a revival of the Jackass TV show is being discussed for Paramount+

Beyond a line of "working with the original creators" - it is unclear who will actually be on the show

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RandomAct said:

This week's Winning Time was some damn good television. Best episode of the series so far, and the show has benefited from focusing less on Magic the last few episodes.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm with you guys on this. I thought the episode was great. I mean, at this point, I feel like all you need to do is comically hammer home the message of THIS IS HOW MAGIC GOT HIV, LOOK AT THE RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF WOMEN HE'S BEEN WITH and that's probably enough for Magic's role right now.

And yeah, West and Kareem are the two best guys. I really like this series. It almost sucks that John C. Reilly had the career he's had. I mean, I appreciate all of the crazy and funny shit he's done, but all of those appearances in comedies and as Dr. Steve Brule make you forget that he's a serious actor. It makes it hard to tell if he's being serious or ridiculous in his portrayal of Buss. Obviously, in this episode, it was serious, but most of the time the line is blurred. Early on I made a joke to my wife that with every episode Buss's shirts get unbuttoned by one more button and by the end he'll just be completely open shirted. That's pretty much where he's at now. 

But the big reason I like this series so much is that it's giving time to a lot of actors I really love that don't see a mountain of work for various reasons. People like Jason Clarke, Tracy Letts, Wood Harris (who, I think my love for Rocky movies makes me look at him more as the son of Duke Burton than anything else), Gaby Hoffman, and Jason Segel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Due to the success of Jackass Forever - a revival of the Jackass TV show is being discussed for Paramount+

Beyond a line of "working with the original creators" - it is unclear who will actually be on the show

I was hoping that this would happen. Of the four newbies on the movie, none really fill that Johnny Knoxville hole. Finding someone to lead a whole new crew is going to be hard because you're going to need someone as magnetically charming as Knoxville that's also willing to do a bunch of stupid shit. Most people who are into doing stupid shit are kinda annoying.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was hoping that this would happen. Of the four newbies on the movie, none really fill that Johnny Knoxville hole. Finding someone to lead a whole new crew is going to be hard because you're going to need someone as magnetically charming as Knoxville that's also willing to do a bunch of stupid shit. Most people who are into doing stupid shit are kinda annoying.

If you don't have Johnny(or maybe Steve-o) as host, there really is no point. Obviously they can't do the bumps, but you can't Jackass without Knoxville in some way.

• Like 1

CM Punk is on Mayans MC?

Well, I'm the only person still watching that show anyway, so thought I'd let y'all know

EDIT: The funny part is he was holding court talking shit and his storyline wife called it his "Mystery Science Theater act" ?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Oooooof Ozark's ending sucked. 

Spoiler

Kill off the closest person the show had to a moral center, the person who had every right to get out alive and the only person worth rooting for, and then have the Byrds pull it all together as an evil cohesive unit at the end.  Imagine ending Breaking Bad with the Nazis killing Jesse while Walt, Skyler, Walt Jr., and Baby Holly all team up to keep cooking meth.

I wonder if this was Netflix messing with creative to reserve the right to follow up with a movie or another season sometime down the road like Showtime did with Dexter.

Edited by Technico Support

On 4/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, (BP) said:

I haven’t watched that show since Craig Kilborn was in the time slot, but if they’re going to stay with folks from the UK they should give it to Richard Ayoade. He’s the second funniest Brit I can think of (Matt Berry already has multiple series.) 

Many moons ago, I worked on the customer service desk of a bank in the centre of Dublin. One day, I see Chris O'Dowd in the queue, and being a big IT Crowd fan do my best to get rid of the customer I was serving so I could call him from the queue. Couldn't make it in time, so one of my colleagues gets Chris, and I'm all sad about it. Then overhear that he doesn't have ID and my colleague won't allow him to make his withdrawal. I swoop in, saying I know him and I'll look after him, take him away to my desk. Chris is very appreciative and I tell him how much I love the show. "Oh thanks, that's great to hear". I then for some reason spend the next 3 minutes explaining how amazing Matt Berry is and how Matt steals every single scene with his presence alone and Matt was incredible in Mighty Boosh and at one point find myself quoting, "goddamn these electric sex pants". Anyway, Chris gets his money, leaves and I see him in the bank maybe 5 more times after that. Every single time, he somehow managed to receive a phone call at the precise moment when he was next in the queue and I was calling him though. Odd that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oooooof Ozark's ending sucked. 

Hide contents

Kill off the closest person the show had to a moral center, the person who had every right to get out alive and the only person worth rooting for, and then have the Byrds pull it all together as an evil cohesive unit at the end.  Imagine ending Breaking Bad with the Nazis killing Jesse while Walt, Skyler, Walt Jr., and Baby Holly all team up to keep cooking meth.

I wonder if this was Netflix messing with creative to reserve the right to follow up with a movie or another season sometime down the road like Showtime did with Dexter.

I thought the ending was all right, however...

Spoiler

I thought they should have done a better job handling Jonah's crossing over to the family's side. I'm not sure Wendy checking herself into the mental hospital was the best they could have come up with. I also thought the coda at the end took away from the 'sacrifice' the Byrdes had made of choosing the family over Ruth, or at least coping with what they'd done. After all, Wendy had said the consequences of Ruth's death may be unbearable (after earlier telling Ruth that nothing is unbearable.) Ruth's days were numbered as soon as she took revenge on Javi, so that was no surprise. The car crash plot point didn't serve much purpose. It was kind of a cynical ending considering the conversation they had with Mel, but I get the message was pretty clear. The Byrdes getting away with it was always going to be an option as an ending. They kind of did that in a way where it wasn't a happy ending.  

It definitely wasn't an ending that kicked the show into the stratosphere of all-time great TV shows, I'll say that much. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Many moons ago, I worked on the customer service desk of a bank in the centre of Dublin. One day, I see Chris O'Dowd in the queue, and being a big IT Crowd fan do my best to get rid of the customer I was serving so I could call him from the queue. Couldn't make it in time, so one of my colleagues gets Chris, and I'm all sad about it. Then overhear that he doesn't have ID and my colleague won't allow him to make his withdrawal. I swoop in, saying I know him and I'll look after him, take him away to my desk. Chris is very appreciative and I tell him how much I love the show. "Oh thanks, that's great to hear". I then for some reason spend the next 3 minutes explaining how amazing Matt Berry is and how Matt steals every single scene with his presence alone and Matt was incredible in Mighty Boosh and at one point find myself quoting, "goddamn these electric sex pants". Anyway, Chris gets his money, leaves and I see him in the bank maybe 5 more times after that. Every single time, he somehow managed to receive a phone call at the precise moment when he was next in the queue and I was calling him though. Odd that.

I don’t get Ayoade. One of my least favorite guests on Cats Does Countdown, along with most of the guests in dictionary corner.