DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Big fan of Tokyo Vice, watched the first 4 episodes and really enjoying it. Ya there’s a few nitpicks like Elgorts character, pacing and the waitress subplot but it looks SO good and feels like nothing I’ve seen before. 

• Like 2

I feel like that's the furthest away from "what actually happened" we've seen Winning Time get.

Spoiler

The first Magic vs Bird NBA game was in L.A., and the Lakers stomped a mudhole in them from opening tip to final buzzer (it was pretty similar to the first game in Boston, except Magic only played limited minutes and was ineffective due to injury and Norm hit two free throws to win it...)

I mean, it's fine, obviously based on a true story never really is, but it had been sticking at least relatively close to reality before tonight.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I finally pulled the trigger and got an HBO Max subscription. So, (besides Deadwood), what should I watch? I already caught half an episode of Winning Time and I'm hooked.

I'd go with Raised by Wolves, Barry, Banshee, True Detective, Successsion, Warrior, Tokyo Vice, Peacemaker, and all of the DC Batman toons.

You've already seen The Wire, so you are good there.

I'd recommend Euphoria because Zendaya is awesome, but it is so fucking depressing.

Edited by J.T.

Fuck me. Okay. I'm gonna start with Tokyo Vice, Deadwood, and the rest of Winning Time -- and then I'm probably going for documentaries, so any help in that category is very welcome too. To give you a timeline, we cancelled during the second season of True Detective (not a bad idea in retrospect). 

At some point I will be knee-deep in a Treme binge and I will curse myself for this folly

Ugh, the first half of the first episode of that had my Injustice Radar pinging so fucking hard, I couldn't watch anymore of it. I just knew everything they went out of their way to show was going to turn out for the worst. I don't have to see it to know it.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not a DC guy much but Peacemaker looks filthy enough for me to give a shot. 

Oh my God it is so offensive.  You will love it.  It is the best shit.

• Like 2

Yeah, I’ve tried 3 episodes of WINNING TIME, and it’s just not for me. Even beyond the McKay-ness of it all, which irks me, I agree with Kareem that the characters are all one-dimensional cartoons, and I don’t care about any of it.