DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Is anyone still watching This Is Us? This last season is just....I'm angry.

I wish that they had just closed that particular part out this week (after more or less setting it up two weeks ago) and we don't have to deal with it for another episode next week like we obviously do. That's for sure.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Halo:

I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of Cortana being integrated with Master Chief and not standalone, but since it's Jen Taylor doing Cortana, I'll let it go for now.  I really hope they make Kwan's side story interesting because it's just not there.  I'm guessing the season wraps up with either the Fall of Reach and/or finding the Halo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Halo:

I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of Cortana being integrated with Master Chief and not standalone, but since it's Jen Taylor doing Cortana, I'll let it go for now.  I really hope they make Kwan's side story interesting because it's just not there.  I'm guessing the season wraps up with either the Fall of Reach and/or finding the Halo.

My guess is that it'll be finding the Halo.

I'm really not feeling the dude playing Master Chief or Kwan's side story. And that second episode was boring. Worse yet, it felt really...cheap. I mean that it looked cheap. 

I'd be down for the Fall of Reach happening, but I'd also want Nathan Fillion cast as one of the marines and I don't think they have the budget for that. 

There was a time where I thought Clooney would have made for a pretty good voice of Master Chief. After watching Bosch and some other stuff, Titus Welliver would have made for an excellent Master Chief, but that dude is also in his 60s. 

Man, I just don't know. I liked that first episode a lot and this second episode was just...yeah, this is not what I wanted.

Wheel of Fortune showed a clip of the Finnish version last night and it's hosted by a drag queen, the letter turner is a fancy little hobbit man and it looks 1000x better than the US version.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'd also want Nathan Fillion cast as one of the marines and I don't think they have the budget for that. 

Wasn't their budget like $100m? Let's not pretend that Nathan Fillion is some expensive name that'll eat a 1/3 of the budget or something.

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I wish that they had just closed that particular part out this week (after more or less setting it up two weeks ago) and we don't have to deal with it for another episode next week like we obviously do. That's for sure.

Taking babyfaces that are over with the audience and deliberately sabotaging their character to try and shoehorn this stupid shock twist in.

• Like 1

Anybody checking out "Severance" on Apple?  Crazy-ass show in all the good ways, reminds me of Westworld a little and maybe Lost before it got stupid.  Bonus: John Turturro and Christopher Walken subtly chewing all the scenery and Patricia Arquette being low key amazing.

• Like 3

Young Sheldon Season 5 is coming to E4. I like the show seeing Sheldon Cooper and his family in a prequel to The Big Bang Theory. Some episodes are particularly moving on mental illness, miscarriages and losing faith from a life event. The miscarriage episode has just aired on E4, still gets me choked up. Anyone else watch it?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 7:14 AM, Matt D said:

I quit on "This is Us" a few seasons ago.  The way they ret-conned Jack's death from being a car crash to a house fire bugged me a lot.  And they kinda lost me when they did the whole Vietnam storyline with Jack and his brother.  But, really, I just got tired of the overall sadness of everything.  

18 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I’m assuming they’ll skip the 1980-81 season and start back up with 1981-82 when there was tons of drama early in the season. 

My guess is they do both years in one season. They'll need less time devoted to setting up who everyone is, and while there's a lot of drama around the Magic/Westhead stuff and such, it wouldn't take nearly as much time as Buss buying the team.

Plus you can't skip Norm's interview that the team basically blames the reporter for them losing to the Rockets.

HBO has also optioned Three Ring Circus from Pearlman for down the line, so I suspect we're gonna see multiple years covered each season if they are ever going to get to the second dynasty. I wonder if they'll be willing to actually portray Kobe as the complete asshole that book painted him as.

• Like 3

I watched the first episode of TOKYO VICE last night and really enjoyed it. A bit more slow-paced than I expected, but Michael Mann could shoot a standardized exam and make it thrilling. Which he literally does in this episode.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Technico Support said:

Anybody checking out "Severance" on Apple?  Crazy-ass show in all the good ways, reminds me of Westworld a little and maybe Lost before it got stupid.  Bonus: John Turturro and Christopher Walken subtly chewing all the scenery and Patricia Arquette being low key amazing.

Dude, yes. I found this post by searching Severance just to see if we had a thread for it yet. I'm obsessed with this show. Totally agree on the point about Lost, it's definitely got a lot of that in it's DNA.

Also, if anyone reading here has PS5 and is thinking about checking it out based on our recommendations, you can get six months of Apple TV free by registering through PlayStation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude, yes. I found this post by searching Severance just to see if we had a thread for it yet. I'm obsessed with this show. Totally agree on the point about Lost, it's definitely got a lot of that in it's DNA.

Also, if anyone reading here has PS5 and is thinking about checking it out based on our recommendations, you can get six months of Apple TV free by registering through PlayStation

Cool!  Glad you’re enjoying it. We just finished the season Friday night. It’s REALLY good!

• Like 2