DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm not sure why, but I've been watching the original Postman Pat episodes. Maybe because they're cute or they're just 15 minutes or it's fun to see pre-CGI stop motion. Or all of the above. Or it's the song. 

It's the song. Still pops into my head every now and then. Pure pre-school nostalgia for me.

• Like 1

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I wish there was an American version of Big Fat Quiz. I love watching those, I went down a rabbit hole in 2020 watching the current ones (at the time) and going backwards through the years.

When I had Kevin Day on the pod, one of the things we talked about was the difficulties in importing British panel shows from the UK to the US. I didn't know before doing my research they had done pilots for HIGNFY for TBS years ago. 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:42 AM, Greggulator said:

There’s a new comedy on Fox called Welcome to Flatch. It is a mockumentary about life in a small Ohio town. They also released seven episodes on Hulu.

It is the US adaption of a British show called This Country, which is probably my favorite comedy ever made.

Flatch is pretty funny. What is really interesting is that all of the stuff they have that is taken from the original is “eh” and shoe-horned in while everything they have done original to the show’s own universe is at least pretty good. 

A clear second behind Abbott Elementary in mockumentaries released this year but still a decent watch.

As someone from a town that is twice the size as the town in this show, and let me tell you there is way too much stuff in this town.  I've been to quite a few tiny Ohio towns and none of them have a strip of storefronts like this place.  Not only that, why is there a bus?  You know how people got around my old neighborhood if they didn't have a car?  Riding mower.  Everyone has enough land that almost everyone has a riding mower, and people just drove those muhfuckas around.  They do get some stuff right though, the abundance of weirdos is just about perfect.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 7:42 AM, Greggulator said:

There’s a new comedy on Fox called Welcome to Flatch. It is a mockumentary about life in a small Ohio town. They also released seven episodes on Hulu.

It is the US adaption of a British show called This Country, which is probably my favorite comedy ever made.

Flatch is pretty funny. What is really interesting is that all of the stuff they have that is taken from the original is “eh” and shoe-horned in while everything they have done original to the show’s own universe is at least pretty good. 

A clear second behind Abbott Elementary in mockumentaries released this year but still a decent watch.

As someone from a town that is twice the size as the town in this show, and let me tell you there is way too much stuff in this town.  I've been to quite a few tiny Ohio towns and none of them have a strip of storefronts like this place.  Not only that, why is there a bus?  You know how people got around my old neighborhood if they didn't have a car?  Riding mower.  Everyone has enough land that almost everyone has a riding mower, and people just drove those muhfuckas around.  They do get some stuff right though, the abundance of weirdos is just about perfect.  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

*One finger on the Monkey's paw curls*

Big Fat Quiz US will be hosted by Colin Jost and only feature SNL alum

My eye just twitched.

you know, sometimes you have to stop and admire a 1970s kid tv show having a segment where Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel are the hero and villain of a cartoon  (and Joan Rivers as the natrator).

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

It is probably funny show but from watching the commercials Flatch just feels like Parks and Recreation without the political office part.   

I started watching the first 2 episodes of Super Pumped on Showtime.  It is the story about the rise of Uber.   I don't know how realistic this is about the actual people in charge of the company during the beginning of the company.   It is entertaining but it feels like someone just watched the Wolfs of Wall Street and thought that is what the leader of Uber should be.   Maybe he was this arrogant asshole who at a young age thought he could destroy everyone and had all the answers.  And of course wouldn't be it wouldn't be a show about a startup company during that time without employee parties that looked like spring break parties from Girls Gone Wild.

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is probably funny show but from watching the commercials Flatch just feels like Parks and Recreation without the political office part.   

More like if Parks and Rec was focused on the people who show up at council meetings instead of the people running the meetings. I like the 2 episodes I watched,  but it's still finding its legs. The ride share episode was really funny, and was great way to flesh out multiple characters that you're introduced to in the pilot. I'll probably continue watching. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:48 AM, RIPPA said:

I know @CSCis the only person who cares about this tonight (since he posted about in the Music Thread) but American Song Contest starts tonight which is NBC doing its own version of Eurovision. Of course it is gonna be really fucking funny when Jewel, Michael Bolton, Macy Gray or Crystal Method doesn't win. (Side note - Cisqo of all fucking people is representing Maryland.)

Damn right!

It ended up being a fun show with a couple memorable songs but man it loses everything in translation being an 8-week event with only 11 songs per week and a commercial break sandwiched between each one rather than a major event like Eurovision is.  Just seems like another in the long run of similar TV singing shows just with original songs  

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I have no idea where they're going with Halo but it was pretty cool so I'm here for it.

Also, if anyone didn't know - Xbox Ultimate Gamepass (in the US) is giving away a free month trial of Paramount+ until June, I believe, so if you want to watch Halo for free... there ya go. Just wait a few weeks.

• Like 1

Halo is filling the void left by the Expanse so I'm enjoying it. I don't know if I'm enjoying it as much as I am because Halo is probably my favorite video game IP or if it's because I desperately need some kind of intergalactic sci-fi show to take the place of the Expanse, but I dig it.