DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

King of the Hill is probably my favorite animated series and while I'm hoping it comes back, I'm not really keen of the idea of a time jump that's been rumored.

I'm excited with King of the Hill aging everyone up, there's a lot more story wise they can do with Bobby as an adult. 

I was moaning last week about the nostalgia cash ins of 80s and 90s material. I had no idea there's a Gremlins show out this year portraying the old Chinese guy's childhood days with Gizmo in China. Which makes you think if he was hanging with Gizmo since he was a boy, why did he end up selling his friend for money?

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

With the success of Wordle, you knew this was coming.   But, a drag queen is hosting a major broadcast network game show.  What a time to be alive. 

I will never get used to RuPaul in his non-RuPaul look.

In high school in the mid-90s, I remember hanging out at my friend's place and watching tv. His parents were probably in their 60s at that point as they had kids later in life and were pretty hardcore Irish Catholics. Rupaul popped up on screen in whatever show happened to be on and my buddy's dad goes, "That Rupaul is one fine looking woman, isn't she boys?" He had no clue that Rupaul was a drag queen and me and my friend just tried to not bust out laughing as this super religious old man kept on gushing just how beautiful she was.

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

WINNING TIME: THE RISE OF THE LAKERS DYNASTY

Starring John C Reilly, Jason Clarke, Adrian Brody, and Quincy Isaiah

Directed by Adam McKay

A friend of mine did some background extra work for this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess it was similar to people such as Elivra or Pee Wee Herman or Father Guido Sarducci playing other parts. I seem to recall it was sort of a big deal when Reubens was in the Buffy movie not as Pee Wee. 

It was to me. That’s just something you don’t get anymore in the industry with actors sticking to one character. That might’ve been the most pro wrestling for Hollywood in the 80’s, and early 90’s.

https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/617009

The Squid Game Experience in Riyadh offers an identical experience of the games shown in the series, starting from meeting the soldiers in their red suits and ending with announcing the winner, thus making Saudi Arabia the first in the entire world to offer the Squid Game event at this level, with all its games.

It’s possible that something was lost in translation when Squid Game was viewed in Saudi Arabia?

Clark

Directed by Jonas Åkerlund

Starring Bill Skarsgård 

6 episodes

Based on the truth and lies of Clark Olofsson's autobiography, the Swedish language series will feature Clark's early years until present day. The notorious gangster started his criminal career in the 1960s and became one of the most controversial personalities in contemporary Swedish history. Convicted of several counts of drug trafficking, attempted murder, assault, theft and dozens of bank robberies, he has spent more than half his life behind bars and has left behind a trail of trauma, heartbreak, disappointment and general devastation. In the 1970s Clark gave rise to the idea of "The Stockholm Syndrome" during a failed bank robbery in Stockholm and has ever since kept his position as celebrity criminal fooling all of Sweden to fall in love with him. Just like he desired.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:06 PM, Swift said:

I was moaning last week about the nostalgia cash ins of 80s and 90s material. I had no idea there's a Gremlins show out this year portraying the old Chinese guy's childhood days with Gizmo in China. Which makes you think if he was hanging with Gizmo since he was a boy, why did he end up selling his friend for money?

He didn't. The father stole him.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:44 PM, Tabe said:

I will never get used to RuPaul in his non-RuPaul look.

I will never get used to him wearing normal men's dress shoes.  He walks better in stilettos than most women do.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

I am sure this is posted somewhere else but I can't think of where

I guess after the last 1.5 Hobbit movies, I am past the point where a bad Tolkien adaption would upset me, so let's see what we get. The trailer had some weird or potentially annoying shots (e.g. the antler people or the naked man in the fire) and I am not 100% in on some of the casting choices or that they apparently felt the need to have Hobbits in there.