DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Ok, I knew I wasn't just imagining things. I haven't watched the Hulu thing yet, but I imagine that one is probably based on the podcast going by the same name.

There are actually two podcasts

ABC News does one called... The Dropout

The other podcast is called... Bad Blood

Oh wow. The Dropout was the one I was subscribed to. I had no idea about the Bad Blood podcast. Although, I think I have my fill of how crazy she is from the podcast, the HBO documentary, and just stuff in the news.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

One episode in, and its like a Justified light. Nowhere near as good as that program. It’s Funny, I felt the same way about the films. But I do like it even with its short comings. It’s my kind of junk food TV. Reminds me that I need to watch Jack Ryan for even more junk food TV.

Jack Ryan is really good!  Not necessarily junk food, but definitely Homeland Lite. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tokyo Vice will be premiere on HBO Max on April 7. Ansel Elgort, Ken Watanabe, Rachel Keller, Rinko Kikuchi, etc. Michael Mann is EP and will direct at least the first episode. 

Can’t wait for that. 

I know it’s based on a book, but I wonder how much it’ll be it’s own thing, and if they are just using it for the name.

There is definitely enough in the book for a full series. In fact with all the plot threads available I'd be disappointed if they falsified it. Truth is stranger than fiction in this case, and more interesting. 

Goddamn HBO. I'm gonna have to wait for this to come out on DVD or else wait until the series is over with to sign up and steal everything for my DVR. 

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tokyo Vice will be premiere on HBO Max on April 7. Ansel Elgort, Ken Watanabe, Rachel Keller, Rinko Kikuchi, etc. Michael Mann is EP and will direct at least the first episode. 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There is definitely enough in the book for a full series. In fact with all the plot threads available I'd be disappointed if they falsified it. Truth is stranger than fiction in this case, and more interesting. 

Goddamn HBO. I'm gonna have to wait for this to come out on DVD or else wait until the series is over with to sign up and steal everything for my DVR. 

I know, but I wish it were just a Miami Vice reboot set in Japan, with a electronic music soundtrack, and scenes of characters brooding to the music of the time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I know, but I wish it were just a Miami Vice reboot set in Japan, with a electronic music soundtrack, and scenes of characters brooding to the music of the time.

Got me like... (this literally just popped onto my Spotify)

• Like 1

Oh look at me being a dumbass, deciding to rewatch the last episode of Quantum Leap and then crying for 20 minutes afterwards leading to Sandra Violet, in a moment of genuine concern, patting me on the back while quietly whispering in my ear "don't  cry Daddy, blue light man come back".

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heard it was him wanting a pay raise, but that was just something some rando on Facebook posted that I saw. 

That is the story that at least Entertainment Weekly is going with

Hulu and 20th Television Animation went out to West, Sagal, and DiMaggio at the same time last year to begin negotiations. This is an example of "favored nations," which is a pretty standard negotiation process in the animation field that seeks to pay series regulars the same. The goal was to close those deals before reaching out to other voice actors from the original show.

According to sources, an offer was extended to all three actors. West and Sagal accepted. DiMaggio's team did not, seeing it as a lowball and not competitive to the market or the legacy of Futurama. One source suggests the favored nations process fell apart with West and Sagal taking the offer without consulting DiMaggio. Another source refutes that notion.

DiMaggio's side counter-offered with more competitive quotes, but some sources suggest conversations with the studio ended in November and have not progressed since.

A search for a replacement voice actor is still ongoing, while the offer for DiMaggio to return remains on the table for the time being, EW has learned. The studio doesn't want to pay DiMaggio more than West and Sagal, which contributes to the standstill.

Disney has put the Beauty and the Beast prequel series on hold and it might be dead

Per the Hollywood Reporter

the Disney+ musical spin-off series has been put on hold due to “delays with creative elements and scheduling challenges with its cast.” The plan is still to eventually go forward with the series, although it’s unknown if stars Josh Gad and Luke Evans will still be attached once it is put into production. The delay comes just days after Rita Ora was confirmed to be joining the cast, alongside Gad, Evans, Briana Middleton, Fra Fee, and Jelani Alladin.

The eight-episode Beauty and the Beast prequel series is being developed, executive-produced, and written by Gad, Edward Kitsis, and Adam Horowitz (Once Upon a Time), and each is also serving as a co-showrunner. The series’ creative team also includes Tony Award-nominated director Liesl Tommy (Eclipsed), who has come on board as an executive producer and will direct the first episode.

That Futurama story reminds me of the later seasons of Ren & Stimpy.  The story, as told on the Stern show, Billy West and John K went into negotiations with Nickelodeon/Viacom.  John K was ready to walk away because they were, he felt lowballing him and thought he had West's support in just leaving and ending the show.  

Viacom went to West and said "Can you do both voices?", he said "Yes, for a raise."   They gave him the raise and tossed John K.  

I will note, though I was mad when I heard the story... boy did history show that West was the horse to back between those too. ?

• Like 7

The media related to the DiMaggio business feels like just another step in the negotiations. I think there’s still a decent chance he’ll be in it. Futurama’s never going to be The Simpsons, but the multiple revivals demonstrate its value as IP. The cast deserves to have the studio by the balls. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, Casey said:

I like Futurama but I'm more hyped for the King of the Hill revival tbh

King of the Hill is probably my favorite animated series and while I'm hoping it comes back, I'm not really keen of the idea of a time jump that's been rumored.

While I like Futurama as much as the next guy, I think they got the right amount of mileage out of it they could and am kind of indifferent to its return. A different voice for Bender would really sour the deal.

• Like 1