DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder how they will handle Will, and Carlton getting stuck in a snowstorm.

It's going to be a shot for shot remake of the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos, but with Will and Carlton instead of Paulie and Christopher.

59 minutes ago, Swift said:

I'm not usually one of those "pop culture is in the doldrums" kinda people but I'm a little grouchy lately - holy shit the last few posts in this thread have been about two reboots of 90s shows, a prequel to a 70s movie, the making of a 70s movie, a TV series based on a movie and a TV series based on a video game. I just looked up Gaslit thinking that was probably the only original thing here and even that's based on a podcast.

Someone mentioned Archive 81 previously. I watched that this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Apparently it too is based on a podcast. Good or not, it's just another sign of IPs just being transferred from one medium to another instead of created originally.

Yeah and I guess I'm not that bothered by stuff like podcasts or even video games. After all, films based on books have been around since day one. I guess it's just the corporate greed aspect of "how much money can we squeeze out of our existing content for the nerds to lap up now?" that is annoying me. A Grease prequel? Come on.

I'm reminded of Patton Oswalt's "Remember Darth Vader? Here he is as a little kid" bit. In 20 years time, we'll all be watching the origin story of the chick with three tits from Total Recall.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

It's going to be a shot for shot remake of the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos, but with Will and Carlton instead of Paulie and Christopher.

I wonder if anybody came out, and admitted they stole that idea from Fresh Prince.

Lets face it both episodes are the pinnacle of each program. 

1 hour ago, Swift said:

I'm reminded of Patton Oswalt's "Remember Darth Vader? Here he is as a little kid" bit. In 20 years time, we'll all be watching the origin story of the chick with three tits from Total Recall.

Not sure I want to wait twenty years, but if this is Verhoeven's triumphant return to Hollywood then I'll take it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hulu has pushed back the start of The Orville Season 3 (The Orville: New Horizons) to June 2

It was supposed to start sometime in March

I had completely forgot that was a thing.

We watched the first three episodes with the Nanjiani episode being by far the funniest. The footballer one was ok, but honestly I was disappointed with Conan O'Brien. I thought for sure that he'd be all over the improv trying to make Arnett corpse but he was fairly subdued.

I’m up to the Annie Murphy episode, I think it’s the best one so far.

HBO Sunday Night!

Spoiler

Euphoria was super intense and I can see this episode turning a lot of people off the show. The first part with Rue, her mom, sister and Jules should get Zendaya every award she’s up for, that whole scene was scary real and her performance is why. The last part of the episode and everything so far with that drug dealer seems like it’s from a modern version of Go Ask Alice, the show really doesn’t need that. 

The Gemstones had some funny parts but the assassin stuff is silly, I’m assuming the pastor from the first episode is the one behind it.

Yeah, Murderville is top notch and such a novel concept. It's weird to wrap your brain around a TV series that is acting as something of a game show with celebrities, but is in actuality a police procedural with guest celebs that have no script and everything is improved. Also, everyone is basically trying to make the celebs break. Conan was surprisingly strong and didn't crack as much as I expected until they were interrogating the magician. Arnett throwing the chair back in astonishment was just too much for Conan though. On the other hand, Kumail feels like someone you could point at and he would just start laughing, which I like. Laughter is great.

I mean, this is something that seems too convoluted to work and it totally does.

I also had no idea Reacher was out. I'm up to episode 4 or 5 and...I think I like it? Or rather...I think this is good? In a way, it feels a little like Banshee, which instantly gets you points from me. Hell, even the character Roscoe on Reacher reminds me of Siobhan on Banshee. The dude playing Reacher is a total brick shithouse, but sadly isn't that good of an actor. He's fine. I've seen a whole lot worse and I'm sure he'll get better. My first thought seeing him was, well, here's your next Superman except he may be too jacked to be Superman. Anyway, Reacher is worth a watch. It being Banshee lite is enough for me.

• Like 4

Murderville is based on a British show Murder in Successville. I haven't seen it (I believe someone has uploaded the episodes to YT) but it sounds a lot funnier actually. Successville is a town where a ton of celebrities live and they show up as murder victims/suspects (impersonated obviously) so you get an episode description like this - "The detectives learn that pharmacist Lindsay Lohan has been spray-tanned to death, before tonight's beauty pageant organized by businessman Russell Brand, a pageant in which Sleet and gym owner Vladimir Putin are judges, and psychopathic killer Kim Kardashian is a contestant." or this "A call to Lady Gaga's mansion over a case of topiary vandalism soon leads to the discovery of a murder and its time for new recruit Deborah Meaden to partner with DI Sleet and discover whether Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Jay-Z, Boris Johnson or Nicki Minaj is responsible."

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

also had no idea Reacher was out. I'm up to episode 4 or 5 and...I think I like it? Or rather...I think this is good? In a way, it feels a little like Banshee, which instantly gets you points from me. Hell, even the character Roscoe on Reacher reminds me of Siobhan on Banshee. The dude playing Reacher is a total brick shithouse, but sadly isn't that good of an actor. He's fine. I've seen a whole lot worse and I'm sure he'll get better. My first thought seeing him was, well, here's your next Superman except he may be too jacked to be Superman. Anyway, Reacher is worth a watch. It being Banshee lite is enough for me.

One episode in, and its like a Justified light. Nowhere near as good as that program. It’s Funny, I felt the same way about the films. But I do like it even with its short comings. It’s my kind of junk food TV. Reminds me that I need to watch Jack Ryan for even more junk food TV.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swift said:

Murderville is based on a British show Murder in Successville. I haven't seen it (I believe someone has uploaded the episodes to YT) but it sounds a lot funnier actually. Successville is a town where a ton of celebrities live and they show up as murder victims/suspects (impersonated obviously) so you get an episode description like this - "The detectives learn that pharmacist Lindsay Lohan has been spray-tanned to death, before tonight's beauty pageant organized by businessman Russell Brand, a pageant in which Sleet and gym owner Vladimir Putin are judges, and psychopathic killer Kim Kardashian is a contestant." or this "A call to Lady Gaga's mansion over a case of topiary vandalism soon leads to the discovery of a murder and its time for new recruit Deborah Meaden to partner with DI Sleet and discover whether Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Jay-Z, Boris Johnson or Nicki Minaj is responsible."

Yeah you can quickly find it on Youtube - though if you live in the UK they are blocked.

Tom Davis is in the role that Will Arnett is doing in Murderville

It is a real trip to see who is playing the celebrities in Successville - like discovering Rachel Parris playing Lady Gaga or Doc Brown as Lewis Hamilton

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Isn't there another series in production about Elizabeth Holmes?

Correct

There is one where Jennifer Lawrence is Elizabeth Holmes. That one is being done by Adam McKay

EDIT - the name of that one is Bad Blood

• Thanks 1