DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 1/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

So who else is thrilled that Righteous Gemstones is back?

Hide contents

GEMSTONE1-BJ-MILK.gif

Totally binged Season 1 and the first 3 episodes of Season 2 over the last couple of Snow Days.  Loving it.  Curious to see where the wrestling flashback storyline goes.

Edited by Justin877
  • Like 1

Slowly watching Mayor of Kingstown. Jeremy Renner is some sort of big deal in a Michigan town where the prison is the main employer. The first episode was really slow, the second picked up quite a bit. It's on Paramount+ if you're curious.

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m on S4 of Game of Thrones, and I have to give them credit for drawing out Daenerys’ story this long of getting armies and dragons and whatnot on her slow march to Westeros and King’s Landing. I thought for sure by the end of S1 or at least S2 she’d be there by now, but, nope.

Joffrey was a little bitch.

I do have one question: is the surname Snow just given to every “bastard” or what?

Snow = North

Rivers = Riverland

Stone = The Vale of Arryn

Flowers = The Reach

Sand = Dorne

Hill = Westerlands

Storm = Stormlands

Waters = Crownlands

Pyke = Iron Islands

Wow, so Game of Thrones really cast Ian McShane for half an episode and that’s it?! The fuck.

Maybe I haven’t hit the season(s) where it all goes off the rails, but I’m halfway through S6 and I’m still really liking it. Getting a little sick of the start and stop and start with Daenerys, though.

The three-eyed raven stuff and the backstory of the White Walkers and Night King are… a bit much, I can’t really follow all of that.

EDIT: Holyyyy shit that S6 finale was fucking insane!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I don't think I understood a thing anybody said in that aside from the captain and the black gal (who I also assume is a pirate captain). 

EDIT: Nevermind, I watched it again (last viewing was days ago). Did I see Steve Carell there with presumably Blackbeard? Who it would be awesome if it was Alan Moore? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 1/23/2022 at 11:02 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I don't think I understood a thing anybody said in that aside from the captain and the black gal (who I also assume is a pirate captain). 

EDIT: Nevermind, I watched it again (last viewing was days ago). Did I see Steve Carell there with presumably Blackbeard? Who it would be awesome if it was Alan Moore? 

That is indeed Blackbeard, played by Taika Waititi

• Thanks 1

MURDERVILLE

Starring Will Arnett

Guest starring Annie Murphy, Conan O’Brien, Ken Jeong,  Kumail Nanjiani, Marshawn Lynch, and Sharon Stone 

---

The premise of the show is a murder mystery where the guest stars have not been given the show's script, so they must improv as the show progresses. 

Premieres on Netflix on February 3

• Like 1

Everything up until the S7 finale was great I thought, but man - they bungled that last season, and the whole Jon Snow reveal at the end of S7 was just fucking stupid. Spent 8 seasons building up to a takeover, and THAT'S what happens? I liked GoT better when it was mainly royal drama and fighting and stuff, and White Walkers/Night King stuff was just brief glimpses or kept to a minimum - the medieval zombie stuff didn't really hook me, nor did anything with Brandon Stark. I'll give them this, though: the Long Night episode was pretty great, it's a tie between that and the S6 finale as my favorite, but... geez. Can't imagine following this show for that many years, and this is the ending you get.

I'm all in on a prequel series about the Targaryens, though.

EDIT: I hope that's all vague enough to not warrant a spoiler box. I'm pretty sure it is.

Edited by Casey

I don't think I'd ever re-watch this, but on the other hand - the only shows I actually re-watch are comedies, like 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Curb, Friends, etc.

I think I might start ER, actually. What say you, @John from Cincinnati? I believe you're doing a watch through/rewatch of that, right? The only memory I have of this show is it being appointment viewing for my parents in the 90s, like Friends.