DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

From what I read tonight, they are still married and she is kind of counselor and Sunday school teacher and grandma. Makes one a little guilty having prurient thoughts. ? 
—-

Watching this episode of McCloud, I was not expecting a clothes ripping catfight between Linda Evans and Stefanie Powers. ?

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I seem to remember Emmy Jo being in short skirts and go-go boots more often than not.

I never knew that Doug and Emmy Jo were married in real life.  If Doug managed to land Emmy Jo, there's hope for all of us.

Oh Emmy Jo.  You kids don't understand what she meant to us seven year olds in 1973.... so many short skirts....

• Like 3

Benny Hill episodes are now airing on Antenna TV (at Midnight/Sunday and 9am/Sunday) for the benefit of anybody encountering the "They couldn't air Benny Hill these days" takes

So there's an nice 7 hour stretch of Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, That Girl, Benny Hill, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, and Bachelor Father on Saturday nights for older people wanting to watch some old TV

• Like 3

On 1/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, odessasteps said:

I was talking to Matt about how many of these kids shows in the 70s had ladies in the cast who, in the words of Doctor Who, “dressed for the dads.” New Zoo Revue, I’m looking at you.

Pretty sure Emmy Jo was dressing for me. I'll never forget taking a 6th grade class trip to UNLV to see a production of Twelfth Night  and EMMY JO WAS PLAYING OLIVIA!!!!

• Like 2

I'm sure a lot of the kids show performers in that era had all kinds of training not really used talking to puppets or people in animal costumes. Like all the RSC/RADA actors doing British Sci Fi at the same time. 

I mean, look at Rita Moreno doing the Electric Company. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

I was very annoyed last night when I opened HBO Max and the first thing that popped up was the banner for season 2 of the Righteous Gemstones. I thought episode 1 was on last night ?

On another note, man, I'm getting pretty annoyed at how short all of these seasons of TV are. I didn't realize episode 8 of It's Always Sunny was the finale. I figured they would go back to Paddy's and finish out with 2 or 3 more episodes to close things out. What's more annoying is that the season only last 4 weeks because they did two episodes per week.

Same annoyance with Letterkenny. Episode 6 ended and that was that.

Yeah, quality is better than quantity, but I feel like you can have both and it's a little disappointing that after waiting 2+ years for some of this stuff that all we get are 8 or 6 episodes.

Another example is The Expanse. 6 episodes for it's final season fucking sucks. I mean, you thought the final season for GoT was disappointing. This final season for the Expanse has been the most meandering, lack of urgency bullshit. Marco and Filip both suck and to think that all of the universe building the series did up to this season is just going to end with Marco probably dying is just dumb and disappointing. There was so much more to explore with the protomolecule, or any of the rings, or literally anything else, and instead it's this boring crap with the Marco's Free Navy.

Similar issue/concern with The Boys. It returns in June, but only has an 8 episode run. Fingers crossed that it's good, but it feels like Amazon has dumped so much money into Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, and a bunch of other stuff that their other series are starting to suffer as a result.

Leterkenny and that is as it should be. To stretch it out further would result in it getting repetitve. I'd rather there be shorter seasons where thee material remains fresh than stretch it out and I lose interest. They also crank 2 seasons a year under normal pre-covid circumstances so that is 12 episodes a year (plus the occasional Holiday epiode).

James

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Um... they dropped 2 episodes of Gemstones today.  

I need to watch it later.

Oh shit. I thought new episodes always came out on Sundays. Nice. I'll be watching that tonight.

SUSPICION

Uma Thurman along with...

Kunal Nayyar (“The Big Bang Theory”), Noah Emmerich (“The Americans”), Georgina Campbell (“Black Mirror”), Elizabeth Henstridge (“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”), Tom Rhys-Harries (“White Lines”), Elyes Gabel (“Scorpion”) and Angel Coulby (“Dancing on the Edge”).

8 episodes first two dropping on Apple TV+ on Feb 4

NBC has officially greenlit the Quantum Leap "sequel" pilot

Scott Bakula may or may not be involved

Original series creator Don Bellisario will be executive producer