DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I was thinking about and it really feels like everyone around here doesn't watch shows on regular network TV anymore or nothing that is memorable enough to discuss.

Not that I do either since the only shit I watch on regular TV is singing competitions.

This is correct.

I'm trying to watch Shadow & Bone while I still have Netflix for another week-plus, but man, it's just not - it's not anything.  It's not funny, it's not different, it's not well-written or acted, it's not quirky.  It's not terrible, either, but it's just lukewarm across the board.  Of course, I could probably watch the lead actress read the phonebook, but as soon as it goes to one of the other plot threads, I lose interest.  It's also yet another "Being the Chosen One is SOOO HARRRRD" thing that I would love to see vanish from the face of the Earth.  But hey, if you're into generically-executed Steampunk/Alternate Earth history/Specialized Magic fantasy shows, you might not be as bored as me.

To revisit the tail end of last year's TV thread

Full trailer for The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

They definitely upped the "thriller" aspect of it in parts.

It appears that Keanu Reeves will play the lead in Hulu's adaptation of The Devil in the White City

I am assuming it will be a limited series as originally the adaptation was supposed to be a movie

• Like 1

Nice, that's one of my favourite books. I don't think he looks too much like Holmes, but stick him in the giant moustache and it should work. Has he played an out and out villain before?

Edited by elizium

22 hours ago, elizium said:

Nice, that's one of my favourite books. I don't think he looks too much like Holmes, but stick him in the giant moustache and it should work. Has he played an out and out villain before?

He is totally brilliant as the hillbilly shitkicker town bully in The Gift.

• Like 1

if you are bored on Twitter, look for one of the hotter feuds in TV right now is currently on Sesame Street involving Elmo and Rocco.   Rocco is the pet rock of Zoe and her best friend.   Can't remember the last time I saw a Sesame Street character openly not having any of this BS  ?

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Amazon has officially greenlit the Fallout TV series done by the Westworld co-creators

Having flashbacks to my reaction to a Fallout MMO. I want it but am cautious.

Is this the spot to discuss old tv? I'm getting my roommate into The Wire. We just pushed through season 1 and I'd forgotten how damn good it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I haven’t seen it discussed here, so I just wanted to throw out a recommendation for STATION ELEVEN on HBO Max to all my fellow LEFTOVERS lovers out there. Same energy.

We hit episode 8 last night and that was really great.

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Is this the spot to discuss old tv? I'm getting my roommate into The Wire. We just pushed through season 1 and I'd forgotten how damn good it is.

It seems like you have seen it before so you can probably safely read this without worrying about spoilers but there was a Wire thread you can check out too

By no means I am saying you have to post about it there instead of here - more as reference material if you never saw that thread before

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Amazon has officially greenlit the Fallout TV series done by the Westworld co-creators

For some reason I thought it was already greenlit. Wonder how long it take to actually take form with Westworld still being a thing.

They're supposed to start production this year. COVID permitting, of course. I'm one of the few Westworld lovers (all seasons) so sign me the fuck up for this.

I finished my 3rd or 4th watchthrough of 30 Rock last week (still amazing), so I started Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I had originally watched S1 and half of S2 when they were released, but just... stopped, for whatever reason. Ellie Kemper is great, and I love all of the little 30 Rock universe easter eggs.

Things I discovered/rediscovered tonight

there were electric company/Sesame Street corossovers.

irene Cara was one of the kids on the electric company.

the Sesame Street episodes on HBO Max seem to be missing most if the celebrity guest stars. No 1973 Johnny Cash episode. ?

also, still get feels from hearing this 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

also, still get feels from hearing this 

My kid brother had a ginormous crush on Trini (Ginny Ortiz).  I totally forgot that she played the girl in the candy store in The Warriors.

• Like 1

I was talking to Matt about how many of these kids shows in the 70s had ladies in the cast who, in the words of Doctor Who, “dressed for the dads.” New Zoo Revue, I’m looking at you. 

Also, there are some funny clips on YT of Morgan Freeman talking about playing Easy Reader and what it was like to be so recognizable as a kids’ tV star.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was talking to Matt about how many of these kids shows in the 70s had ladies in the cast who, in the words of Doctor Who, “dressed for the dads.” New Zoo Revue, I’m looking at you. 

Yeah, I seem to remember Emmy Jo being in short skirts and go-go boots more often than not.

I never knew that Doug and Emmy Jo were married in real life.  If Doug managed to land Emmy Jo, there's hope for all of us.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2