DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Me and the babes watched Shadow in the Cloud, which is absolutely astonishing in its amazingness.  To set this scene up, our hero is on a WWII Flying Fortress, in a dogfight with multiple Japanese fighter jets when her baby is kidnapped by a giant bat / monkey / gremlin creature and she must spiderclimb underneath the fighter jet during a dogfight to rescue said baby that is on a WWII Flying Fortress during a dogfight with Japanese fighter jets during World War II, and she has to rescue a baby. 

Spoiler

And then after they crash land god knows where and the bat / monkey / gremlin thing tries to kidnap the baby again she defeats the creature, rescues the baby, then decides to chase after it as it tries to run away, gets into a fist fight with it, eventually breaking its arm with an americana and beating it to death with its own broken arm.  Then she breastfeeds the baby.

I will not count the Harry Potter 20th special as my first thing for 2022, but last night I decided to sit down with The French Dispatch. I never VOD movies for rent because I know they're either going to pop up in streaming or as a Red Box kiosk rental sooner than later, but I was bummed this one never played in Dothan.

I really enjoyed it. The cast is really impressive even by Anderson standards for a film that runs under 1:45 not factoring in credits. However, I think it's something that will either benefit or be hurt from repeat viewings because the initial screening, especially the prologue and the opening chapter feels like a lot. 

Also, the way some of the moments in the Jeffrey Wright scenes are shot make for an interesting way to capture action sequences. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

i also skimmed thru that Harry Potter HBO special. Mostly interesting to hear the kids talk about growing up in this fishbowl. 

I'll probably buy the books again and read through them at some point this year. I haven't read the first 4 since Middle School, and the last 3 I read around the time book 7 came out, so they're due a reread/reappreciation. Plus, I'd like to have a better sense of how I'd rank the books. HBP was probably my favorite read the first time through. I also recall loving Goblet of Fire, which makes the film version being a miss a bummer. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Most of my HP memories of Book 4 were the chaos it caused working at Borders at the time, 

Pretty much the same for me but with the films. I worked at a movie theater when 3 and 4 were released and they were brutal opening weekends. 

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I will not count the Harry Potter 20th special as my first thing for 2022, but last night I decided to sit down with The French Dispatch. I never VOD movies for rent because I know they're either going to pop up in streaming or as a Red Box kiosk rental sooner than later, but I was bummed this one never played in Dothan.

I really enjoyed it. The cast is really impressive even by Anderson standards for a film that runs under 1:45 not factoring in credits. However, I think it's something that will either benefit or be hurt from repeat viewings because the initial screening, especially the prologue and the opening chapter feels like a lot. 

Also, the way some of the moments in the Jeffrey Wright scenes are shot make for an interesting way to capture action sequences. 

I also finally saw The French Dispatch this weekend. I loved it. It's Wes Anderson at his most Wes Anderson-y.  

I can't decide which segment was my favorite.  Benicio Del Toro was great in his part, as was Jeffrey Wright.  Anderson pulls a huge (but frustrating for me) flex by bringing in Christof Waltz for like two lines.  Everyone is great, even if they have a tiny part. 

I also got to see The Power of the Dog and loved it, too.  It moves very slow, but is shot and acted beautifully and has a great ending.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'll probably buy the books again and read through them at some point this year. I haven't read the first 4 since Middle School, and the last 3 I read around the time book 7 came out, so they're due a reread/reappreciation. Plus, I'd like to have a better sense of how I'd rank the books. HBP was probably my favorite read the first time through. I also recall loving Goblet of Fire, which makes the film version being a miss a bummer. 

I reread the series over the fall. The first two are clearly meant for kids. It's cool that the writing matured as readers likely would be. Deathly Hallo as still feels like they rush through a lot of story fast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Don't give Joanne Rowling money. She'll just donate it to transphobic "charities" again.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Don't give Joanne Rowling money. She'll just donate it to transphobic "charities" again.

You can find them at pretty much any Half Price Books or even thrift stores these days, if you want a hard copy without giving her any money.

• Like 1

I'm so out of the loop.  Why are we canceling JK Rowling?

Watched Con Air last night.  They don't really make these kind of movies anymore, do they?  I was astonished it wasn't directed by Michael Bay.  (It's Simon West, actually).  Is Jerry Bruckheimer still producing these over the top action movies? 

I watched Finch last night, and I'm quite happy that I did. Here's some thought vomit about it that I posted on my Letterboxd.

I'm really happy this exists, and that this is one of Sapachnik's first projects post-Thrones. For Hanks, I'd imagine in some ways this experience was very similar to Cast Away for him because he's largely acting alone to a dog and what projects to be a sentient robot. Finch does a good job of giving Jeff the robot plenty of emotive qualities, and Caleb Landry Jones gives a stellar vocal performance. If this had been released on a platform that would garner more conversation (or even a temporary theatrical stint), I think Hanks would at least get some awards buzz, as this is one of his many great performances.

The movie is sweet, tender, and hopeful; however, you have to question if the events after the credits roll may be much more bleaker for Jeff and Goodyear.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

TLDR?

It all started with a tweet where she she mocked a headline that used the phrase "people who menstruate" (instead of "women") and has kinda gone off a TERF cliff ever since.

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I'm so out of the loop.  Why are we canceling JK Rowling?

Watched Con Air last night.  They don't really make these kind of movies anymore, do they?  I was astonished it wasn't directed by Michael Bay.  (It's Simon West, actually).  Is Jerry Bruckheimer still producing these over the top action movies? 

He produced the last Bad Boys move and is producing the new Top Gun one.

And I'll leave the whole JK Rowling "controversy" alone besides saying that people on both sides are coming off like morons.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

NOBODY TELL HIM. Treat him like one of those lost tribes that never made contact with the modern world. It’s better if he never knows about the JK Rowling online discourse.

Tell me!  I really don't want to have to look this stuff up.  I quit Twitter for a reason! 

Edited by Lawful Metal