DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Had a good time with The Menu. Ana Taylor Joy and Ralph Fiennes are fantastic and Nicholas Hoult continues to play the best insufferable dorks (see Great, The).

I'd put it as a second tier movie of the current prestige horror trend, but as someone who spent most of his adult life working in high end restaurants, it really connected with me. Without spoiling anything, the premise is clearly far-fetched, but it still made me go "yeah, that tracks"

• Like 2

S2 of Yellowjackets is now in post-production!  Additions to the cast will include Elijah Wood!

E1 is expected to debut 1Q of 2023 so hopefully we'll get some S1 questions answered, but I have a feeling that we will get hammered with more mysteries.

• Like 4

The trailer for Skinamarink is soooo the throwback to the horror movie trailers of the 70's.

SKINAMARINK | Trailer - YouTube

The trailer for It's Alive traumatized me for life.   

It's Alive 1974 Trailer 1080p - YouTube

There are few things that are more frightening than a 1970's horror movie trailer.  I will admit that the trailer for It's Alive creeps me out to this very day and I am an old geezer who knows his way around the scary.

I'm excited about Shudder and IFG Midnight giving it a theatrical run.  I will try to see it in theaters, but most likely I will end up waiting until it queues up on AMC+.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Knowing Brandon, he will push for simultaneous releases of the theatrical cut and the uncut versions of Infinity Pool for theaters just like he did with Possessor and I will cheerfully buy a ticket for the uncut version knowing that I will be totally weirded out by it.

There are still some things from Possessor:  Uncut

Spoiler

like futanari Andrea Riseborough

that I cannot unsee.

Edited by J.T.

So.  I have discovered that BloodyDisgustingTV is one of the channels on the WatchFree+ streaming service native to VIZIO high-def televisions.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Just watched Scream (2022). It was interesting... they were really trying hard to stand on two stools and have it be a sequel/ tribute to the 90s movies, whilst also trying to be the start of a new franchise. It sort of worked. The franchise was pretty deeply up it's own arse from the get go, so having a new movie in the series also be up the historic franchise's arse makes sense.

I don't remember the earlier ones being quite so liberal with the blood loss. Like this was realistic in terms of, if you bled to death that quickly, there would be *that much* blood on the floor around you.

In terms of the plot and the big reveal of who it was doing the killing and why, it was OK. They were kind of locked in to where it couldn't really be a mind-blowing surprise or a huge disappointment, so the fact that it was an "Oh right, that's who did it" reveal was pretty inevitable.

Of the returning cast, Skeet Ulrich was either digitally de-aged, or he found the fountain of youth.

• Like 1

Apparently BloodyDisgustingTV works on the same principle as El Rey.  They have no problems going full gorehound at all times, but all boobies are pixilated out during the day and most vulgarities are bleeped out.  I'll have to tune in around 10PM to see if the nudity embargo and the F-Bomb censorship are lifted after dark.

Edited by J.T.

The Menu debuts on HBO on January 6th and should be available for streaming on HBO Max by the 3rd.  I think I am going to wait until it comes out on cable.  The weather really sucks and my house is warm and comfy.

Lullaby was supposed to drop last Friday, but it didn't.  Or at least it did not drop at a theater anywhere near me.  I dunno about this "no child is safe" tagline.  Children in peril is my berserk button.

Edited by J.T.

Watched Margaux on Showtime On Demand last night in prep for the release of M3GAN.

MARGAUX | Official Trailer | Paramount Movies - YouTube

Very flawed and a bit silly, but not entirely horrible.  It is This House Possessed (1981) for the Millennials.

As long as Siri and Alexa exist, I won't be installing a shiatsu massage chair in my house ever.

Be warned.  The CGI is laughably bad.

Edited by J.T.

I went through the year and did a top ten horror movies for 2022.  This was an incredibly deep year for horror movies.  No list is perfect but I ended up happy with it because it kind of naturally ended up representing how much variety there was this year.  Theatrical, streaming and on demand releases.  Comedy horror and Gory horror.  Foreign Language, sequels and prequels.  There was so much stuff that I genuinely loved some of the movies that didn’t make it.  I counted anything that became widely available in he US this year.  If it was available overseas or at a festival before then it still counted.

In alphabetical order I settled on…

Deadstream

Fresh

The Harbinger

The Innocents

Nope

Pearl

Prey

The Sadness

Terrifier 2

When the Screaming Starts

The full write up with links to the reviews if anyone wants it:  https://scarevalue.com/best-horror-movies-2022/

Edited by gizmo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gizmo said:

I went through the year and did a top ten horror movies for 2022.  This was an incredibly deep year for horror movies.  No list is perfect but I ended up happy with it because it kind of naturally ended up representing how much variety there was this year.  Theatrical, streaming and on demand releases.  Comedy horror and Gory horror.  Foreign Language, sequels and prequels.  There was so much stuff that I genuinely loved some of the movies that didn’t make it.  I counted anything that became widely available in he US this year.  If it was available overseas or at a festival before then it still counted.

In alphabetical order I settled on…

Deadstream

Fresh

The Harbinger

The Innocents

Nope

Pearl

Prey

The Sadness

Terrifier 2

When the Screaming Starts

The full write up with links to the reviews if anyone wants it:  https://scarevalue.com/best-horror-movies-2022/

Excellent List!

Mine looks something like (in no particular order):

Barbarian

The Sadness

The Innocents

The Black Phone

Prey

Pearl 

Scream

Nope

Deadstream

X

And more honorable mentions than I can list including Smile, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Offseason, Mad God, The Menu, What Josiah Saw, Watcher, Saloum, Resurrection, Orphan:  First Kill, Speak No Evil, and lots of other stuff. 

2022 was a pretty good year for scary stuff, but only because the pandemic caused quite a few movies with 2021 completion dates to get pushed back to a 2022 release

Edited by J.T.