DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Run Sweetheart Run, on Prime.

not gonna lie, strongly disagree with this review. Not really over the top, and legitimately doesn't have much violence either. That last part about reshoots makes a lot of sense because this movie, imo, was all over the place story wise. 

mad props to the lead, Ella Balinska, she carries like 70% of the movie on her shoulders, when the dude who played crazy uncle Greyjoy wasnt chewing up the scenery, Ella is practically a one woman show, making the movie watchable in spite of writing and shitty wooden background characters 

Spoiler

Last sentence sums it up, for the subject matter they could've done so much more with the story. 

For starters, She Hulk had better cgi than this low budget flick. It looks all flashy cinematography wise but they really only use their fx budget for two scenes and all the rest is just for practical wounds fx.

Plot is all over the place, the bad guy has different powers that are never really consistent, he can shape-shifting and he can go invisible and even teleport but he only uses them for cheap jump scares or plot hammer deus ex machina moments

Other than the lead and the bad guy, everyone else, but Agent Colson from the mcu movies, sucks. Shitty actors who look and sound like they're reading from cue cards and can't even focus on the same spot in a group scene where they're all supposed to be facing the front door, ready to go after the bad guy

Speaking of facing the camera, uncle greyjoy playfully acknowledges the camera Deadpool style and even makes the camera cut away but even that's more plot hammer nonsense where you feel like they shot three versions of the movie and sent out a jumbled poorly edited mix as the final cut

For a horror movie it's almost not that scary and not that violent at all, other than seeing the lead with cuts and wounds we never see how she got them and even the bad guy claims he wants to kill her, wants to hunt her, it's either plot hammer nonsense that he keeps gloating like a cartoon villain or the reshoots really fucked up the script and premise because the guy literally has about a dozen chances to kill her, especially since he's on a deadline to beat sunset, and in typical cartoon villain fashion he keeps monolouging (sp?) to drag things out for the plot hammer ending.

This could have been sooo badass but it felt like that one godzilla movie with the Migos monsters wher every time they're gonna fight the camera cuts away and the one fight we do get is only at the end and even then it's a three minute squash 

I don't watch godzilla movies for them to cut out the fight scenes until the very end and I don't wanna watch scary movies where they constantly cut away from the terror and violence especially when the camera shows the aftermath and you're like, well HOW did she get so beat up so quickly when the cutaway was just a few seconds, what the fuck is happening 

And since the demon reveal isn't until the last third of thr movie, her sustaining soany wounds when the dude is using his bare hands never makes sense

So they're heightening the suspense and urgency but the script is just totally outta waxk and I spent way more time writing up my gripes than I did actually enjoying the flick

Make this a serial killer flick where they cut to tv news reports for exposition on the urgency of the situation and the threat to thr community, and maybe this flick makes more sense, if the filmmakers were that queasy about showing violence?

Just my thoughts, y'know. I don't go into a pizza place because I'm hoping to eat sushi, in other words

• Like 1

The Ritual - Had a fucking blast just going into this one. Saw a still from the movie about 

Spoiler

That freaky fucking Jotun, which had me like OH FUCK I definitely gotta look at this one!

Now I'm curious if the good bubbas can recommend any more "Nordic horror" flicks, as I'm wondering if maybe there's some subgenre I'm missing out on? Between Mortal and this one and possibly Midsommar, i'm absolutely hoping to see what else there might be with Norse/viking horror 

The Rental - Hearing this was directed by Dave Franco, I gotta say this was way better than I would have thought it would be. The ending kinda teases we could see sequels and im for sure on board for more. For a flick with only 5 folks this was good shit, way better than the Run Sweetheart Run flick which looked way more glitzier and has a flat landing 

• Like 1

It is pretty funny.  People ask me if I am the black dude that runs the Movie Reviews by JT feed on Twitter and I say, "No, that is the other black JT."

I think I recommended The Rental for last year's Halloween review project.  It was my intro to Mumblegore right behind You're Next.  I've had a celebrity crush on Sheila Vand since A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, so The Rental was an easy sell to me.

I like The Rental because of the misdirection.  The friction between the main characters that takes center stage for the majority of the runtime is totally NOT what the movie is really about, and once bad shit starts happening, you are at a loss trying to figure out what's going on.

I always recommend The Ritual for people struggling to find good horror on Netflix.  It is such a great monster movie and it also has the same character dynamic as The Rental.  Instead of uniting against the mysterious evil, bad history and personal tension fragments the group and only leads to tragedy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Hey, Junji ito's Maniac will debut on Netflix in January.

Trailer is spoilerized due to cartoon nekkedness albeit it is totally not erotic.  It's kinda scary actually..

Hopefully it will be a better adaptation than the last collection of his work.

This announcement only makes me angrier about Uzumaki's continuing delays.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Forgot that this was over at Bloody Disgusting when I checked last night

All Jacked Up and Full of Worms

Yeah. You read that right.

EDIT: Oh yeah this is NSFW but if you have two brain cells to scrape together you figured that out already

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Technically this should go in the business thread but since it is so specific to Horror

James Blum and James Wan are in negotiations to merge Blumhouse and Atomic Monster into one mega Horror company

Part of the reason this is possible is because Wan's first look deal with Warner Brothers ended earlier this year (Blumhouse has a first look deal with Universal for another year and if this merger happens that deal would expand to cover Atomic Monster)

The expectations is both would continue as separate labels

I also learned that Blumhouse and Atomic Monster are collaborating on that M3gan forest fire so obviously I want this merger to fail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you missed Smile during its theatrical run and you have either Epix or Paramount+, you can now stream it at your leisure.  It's still showing in some venues, but most of the showings are in the evening.

BTW, Epix will become MGM+ after the first of the year.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching Watcher on Shudder.  It is well paced, but absolutely nothing in the plot will surprise you.  This movie totally depends on Maika Monroe being awesome and boy is she ever.  She makes her fear, anxiety, and rage feel genuine. Props to Chloe Okuno for encouraging that performance with superb direction.

If the name, Chloe Okuno, sounds familiar, she also directed the Storm Drain segment of V/H/S/94.  I think she has a future in the horror game.

• Like 1

Somewhere along the line, Joko Anwar directed a sequel to his 2017 prequel of Sisworo Gautama Putra's 1980 classic, Satan's Slaves.

Here is the trailer for Satan's Slaves 2:  Communion, which is actually the third film of the series,

Satan's Slaves 2: Communion - Official Trailer [HD] | A Shudder Original - YouTube

Edited by J.T.