DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

I might go tomorrow night as I have it off. I kinda want to see Barbarian more though Pearl looks more fun. Jaws in 3D is playing there too so if I asked friends to go they'd just cut off my suggestion and want to go to that instead. 

EDIT: I asked anyway we'll see what they say in the group chat

Edited by Curt McGirt

I will put this here since it is based on the Stephen King novella

Mr. Harrigan's Phone

Written and directed by John Lee Hancock (The Highwaymen, The Blind Side)

Donald Sutherland and Jaeden Martell

• Like 1

Hey!  Pearl is at 88% Fresh at RT after a pretty rocky start to the review period.  My last day on graveyard is this Saturday, so I will most likely catch a showing sometime next week when I am on leave trying to reset my body clock back to normal.

I think that Smile starts next Friday and I will hopefully go see it with my kid since that is Friends and Family weekend at JMU and I will be heading up to Harrisonburg for a couple of days.

Edited by J.T.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Trailer for the Let The Right One In series that Showtime is doing

Demián Bichir is playing the Dad

Yeah, there is more of a focus on the surrogate father's role rather than Eli, the vampire, but it looks like it will be a good adaptation.

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, how have I never seen this: 

(this is a good twitter acct to follow btw)

I have always heard stories about it, but I have never watched it.

Brandon Cronenberg's latest sci-horror flick, Infinity Pool, has shocked the MPAA enough to earn an NC-17 rating for graphic violence and sexual content. Cronenberg, who is the son of body horror director David Cronenberg, is no stranger to pushing limits, having previously directed the violent sci-fi shockers Antiviral and Possessor. Infinity Pool stars Pearl star Mia Goth and Alexander Skarsgård and tells the story of a rich couple who vacation at a luxury resort that harbors dark secrets beyond its walls. In addition to Goth and Skarsgård, Infinity Pool stars Thomas Kretschmann, Amanda Brugel, Caroline Boulton, John Ralston, Jeff Ricketts, Jalil Lespert, and Roderick Hill.

If they do not go ahead and release an uncut or unrated version of Infinity Pool like they did with Possessor and Antiviral, I will be pissed.

According to Polygon, this is the October lineup for the Criterion Channel 

Spoiler

Inferno, Dario Argento, 1980

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Walerian Borowczyk, 1981

Dead & Buried, Gary Sherman, 1981

The House by the Cemetery, Lucio Fulci, 1981

The Funhouse, Tobe Hooper, 1981

Strange Behavior, Michael Laughlin, 1981

Wolfen, Michael Wadleigh, 1981

Scanners, David Cronenberg, 1981

Road Games, Richard Franklin, 1981

The Fan, Ed Bianchi, 1981

Basket Case, Frank Henenlotter, 1982

Next of Kin, Tony Williams, 1982

Cat People, Paul Schrader, 1982

Q: The Winged Serpent, Larry Cohen, 1982

The Slumber Party Massacre, Amy Holden Jones, 1982

The Keep, Michael Mann, 1983

The Hunger, Tony Scott, 1983*

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer,John McNaughton, 1986

The Hidden, Jack Sholder, 1987

Prince of Darkness, John Carpenter, 1987

White of the Eye, Donald Cammell, 1987

Near Dark, Kathryn Bigelow, 1987

The Vanishing, George Sluizer, 1988

Brain Damage, Frank Henenlotter, 1988

Dream Demon, Harley Cokeliss, 1988

The Blob, Chuck Russell, 1988

Lair of the White Worm, Ken Russell, 1988

Vampire’s Kiss, Robert Bierman, 1989

Society, Brian Yuzna, 1989

Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Shinya Tsukamoto, 1989

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, RIPPA said:

The Midnight Club

Since it is full of teens you will have to accept the random angsty versions of early 00s pop songs

Is there a term for a marked loss in anticipation between reading a synopsis and seeing a trailer?

I read the synopsis of this yesterday, which did not include the word "teens."  People in a hospice meet to tell ghost stories, make a pact that the first to die will try to contact them, then weird shit starts happening?  And it's made by Mike Flanagan?  Nice.   Sounds like "Ghost Story."

Then I watched the trailer and it's angsty teen bullshit.  The very idea of a hospice just for teens is stupid and contrived.  So disappointing.

Edited by Technico Support

At first I thought The Midnight Club was another Are You Afraid of the Dark? series, but that was The Midnight Society. The premise of that sounded familiar, then I remember I read the book when I was a preteen. Chrisopher Pike's YA horror novels had more sex and gore than did RL Stine and was a bigger gateway to Stephen King style adult horror novels. I might give this a watch, though as a genxer I'm getting tired of 90s nostalgia already.

I’m watching the Rob Zombie Munsters movie with the three-year-old because he loves them and anything else that utilizes the classic Frankenstein design.

It’s not good, but it’s my kind of not good, which in this case is in the vein of the sub-Hocus Pocus children’s horror fantasy comedies that Disney/ABC Family often churned out in the 90s and early aughts. Richard Brake is having a blast riffing on Hammer stalwarts like Cushing and Price. It’s as thriftily made as the trailers suggest, but not nearly as incompetently constructed. It has the same flaw as Zombie’s other work, which is a kind weird rambling pacing caused by Zombie having too much affection for his actors to cut down long scenes of dialogue. 

Ultimately I wouldn’t suggest it, but if Zombie wasn’t attached and it premiered on Nickelodeon it wouldn’t have had such weird expectations and negative buzz.