DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Lighthouse is the latest A24 horror juggernaut to debut on Showtime.  It is now available OnDemand and is also on heavy rotation.

It is been on Amazon Prime forever not that I ever plan on watching it since I would like to not have to see Willem Dafoe naked.... again

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is been on Amazon Prime forever not that I ever plan on watching it since I would like to not have to see Willem Dafoe naked.... again

Watched it earlier today.  My brain is still analyzing the more cryptic bits, but it's a pretty straightforward and kinda awesome story about guilt, madness, and how isolation and abuse can wreck havoc on the human brain.  A man can only be pushed so far before he begins to push back.

Oh, and drinking turpentine mixed with honey may also be bad for you.

I think the problem some people had with making sense of the movie probably has something to do with similar issues folks had with The VVitch aka you are trying to decode the symbolism the same time that you are deciphering the dialects.  Sometimes it is hard to parse "what the fuck is going on?" and "what the fuck are they saying?" at the same time.

And yeah, I could stand not to see Dafoe or Pattinson naked or engaging in acts of gross self-flagellation ever again.

Edited by J.T.

The Lighthouse is much funnier than it’s given credit for being.

It’s a really great movie about how men have traditionally related to each other. 

Any project that Defoe deems worthy of his notorious “confusingly large” hog is probably a winner. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The Lighthouse is much funnier than it’s given credit for being.

It’s a really great movie about how men have traditionally related to each other. 

Yep, it's the timeless game of "Whose Got The Bigger Dick?" captured into a fable with barely a two hour run time.  I love the sequence where they go from drinking together to dancing together to having a fucking fist fight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I am going to set up a GoFundMe.  I need you all to contribute.

For just a few more days, horror fans and collectors alike can place their bids for a chance to own a piece of Hollywood history: a prop axe Oscar-winner Jack Nicholson wielded during the filming of the 1980s horror classic “The Shining.”

It comes with a high price: minimum bids are $50,000.

Gotta Have Rock and Roll Auctions, which sells pop culture and sports memorabilia, estimates the prop, believed to be made of foam, will ultimately sell for between $60,000 and $90,000. As of Friday afternoon, there were at least three bids for the item.

So, we were talking at work today and came to the conclusion that WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING TO LAMBERT~?! scene from Alien and Christine's "You've got to be shitting me.  This asshole just gave me back the button." scene from Drag Me to Hell are the best "I'm dead and I know it." scenes in all of horrordom.

What do ye offer as contenders?  Most of our runner ups came from slasher movies because it is a well worn trope in that sub genre.

Edited by J.T.

I don't think the Lambert death was so much "I'm dead and I know it" because it happened so fast. Unless you're talking about the crab walk scene that they cut out, which is insane. 

Spoiler

Not sure how to approach this one. How long are you supposed to know you're dead? 

• Like 1

Wouldn't it always come back to some sort of Hero's sacrifice then?

Like - despite the movie's shittiness as a whole - Dillon sacrificing himself in Alien 3 is fairly bad-ass (this is also my Charles S Dutton bias showing too)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not sure how to approach this one. How long are you supposed to know you're dead? 

Not long really.  The scene just has to capture that brutal moment when the person about to die knows they they're about to buy it and it is horrifyingly telegraphed to the audience.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't think the Lambert death was so much "I'm dead and I know it" because it happened so fast.

What lasts two minutes and some change probably lasts for an eternity for Lambert.

After the Xeno kills Parker, it slowly advances towards Lambert and its tail snakes around her leg, and you have those quick cuts of Lambert's face contorted in total fear before the scene shifts to Ripley running through the corridors and Lambert's screams echoing over the loudspeakers.  After watching Parker get it, Lambert knows she's next and she is absolutely terrified.  It is so harrowing.

The button scene from Drag Me to Hell is so great.  We all thought that Christine was going to make it but we forgot that Sam mother fucking Raimi was the director.  How naive were we?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Choose or Die

Started streaming on April 15th.  Reviews aren't very good but I don't usually pay attention to those.. unless it's Morbius.

We were marking out hard for Sven showing up on Joe Bob and getting all his shit in. "NO PERSONAL CHECKS." They even talked about Stooge-a-palooza.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

We’ve almost always had horror guys. Karloff and Lugosi. Price, Cushing, Lee. A couple of Lon Chaneys. Do we have that now? Most recent I can think of is Robert Englund, and he’s old as hell.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does Shari Zombie do anything but her husbands horror movies? 

does Helena Bonham Carter do normal movies anymore? 

I don’t even think HBC has been in a horror film in the last 25 years, and most recently she was in THE CROWN, so I’m not sure I follow.

Shari Zombie doesn’t count, because no one knows who she is.