DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Eight for Silver got a title change after its premier at Sundance.  It is now entitled, The Cursed.

Release date is this coming Friday where it will most likely be buried by Uncharted unless it carves out a healthy niche for itself.

No but a friend of mine was spamming a couple of us via text about it. I can't catch Joe Bob as he airs live on Shudder Prime (or maybe I just haven't figured it out). FYI, the films are 

Spoiler

Black Roses and Frankenhooker

neither of which I've seen. Well, parts of the latter, if you'll pardon the pun. ? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Or it could have been both My Bloody Valentines. Was that remake any good? It does have Tom Atkins in it, I see. 

The 3D reboot with Jensen Ackles was actually pretty good.  It falls apart a little by the end, but it is a tidy little thriller with more than its share of gory bits.

I was thinking that the double feature could've been My Bloody Valentine 3D and:

Valentine was kinda bleh, but I really wanted to like it because the Cupid Killer was such a great looking gimmick.

Edited by J.T.

Let the Right One In is back on Showtime on heavy rotation and is also available on SHO On Demand.  

I haven't watched it, so I cannot tell if it is the American version with the shitty subtitles or the European version with the good subtitles.

Edited by J.T.

Joe Bob's Valentine special was pretty damn good. Boulet Brothers were solid guests, had some fun stories, and made me and my wife want to watch their show. Black Roses was silly and me and my wife mostly ragged on it the whole time. Some hilarious, baffling shit.

Yuki's Cursed Karaoke Machine cutaways always got a laugh.

Frankenhooker is probably one of my favorite comedies of all time. Frank Hennenlotter was a great guest as well.

So, against my better judgement, I watched the Chainsaw picture. Good, fun gore in spots, but absolutely devoid of any other charm. 

All of the main kids are pretty bad actors, and in no way hook me for any interest in why they exist. And unlike the original, where I feel bad for these folks in a fucked situation, these dumb dicks bring all the bad shit down on their own heads. I hate them, and I enjoy watching them get clipped.

Spoiler

Also, why make a big deal out of resurrecting Sally? Chainsaw 3 makes reference to her dying in an institution. But in this film, here she is, trying to avenge her friends murders from 50 years ago. And she fucking fails! Why isn't she the destroyer of this monster that fucked up her whole life and killed her brother and friends? 

It feels very much like where they have gone with the revenge arc for Laurie Strode, and it is every bit as meaningless and flat as that story. 

Oh, I almost forgot! One of the main characters is a school shooting survivor, because why wouldn't that need to be a defining characteristic? 

So much of this movie was like "Hey, this is a thing that is important. Oh wait, nope. Here's a fun-ish chainsaw murder. Never mind that other thing."

It feels very much like a movie that has been in and out of different people's hands, and something with too many studio notes worrying about how to hamfistedly get to this convoluted plotline in which Instagram influencers are coming to gentrify your town. There seemed to be no worry about trying to capture any of the stuff that made the first film so special. 

Much like everything else in this remake/reboot/restart batch of TCM films, it fails pretty miserably. 

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

What’s weird is that most of these TCM movies are happy to just mine the first one when I think audiences would welcome the black comedic self parody of the second movie. They should get Russell Crowe to play a variation of the Dennis Hopper character and get nutty with it. 

• Like 3

Since it's frankly pretty disastrous rollout a few months ago, KinoCult seems to be improving a bit. Just logged in today for the first time in a couple weeks and it's on it's third (at least) layout, this one looks a little less slapped together than the previous version. They've also added a scheduled live stream as well, currently Virgin Witch (1972) is playing. I just flipped it on, so I don't know how bad the commercial breaks are going to be. When the service first started it was every 10 minutes on the dot, regardless of what was happening on screen. It seemed to improve a bit when I was last watching something 2 weeks ago (can't remember what the title of the movie, some nunsploitation something) and was maybe every 15-20 minutes or so.

Two other things it has hopefully improved is remembering when you've logged in and remembering where you left off during a movie. One reason I haven't logged on in a bit is because I wasn't able to finish the movie I was watching and it would start right from the beginning every time I went back to it.

At 5am is something called Lucha Mexico. I'm definitely not going to be awake for it, but I'll look around and see if its something that can be streamed anytime.

Edited by elizium

Update: at least during the live stream, whenever they go to a commercial break it has just been a static shot of a lava lamp in front of the KinoCult logo. Curious? Still not great at always getting them in natural break spots, it at least hasn't been every 10 minutes exactly.

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

What’s weird is that most of these TCM movies are happy to just mine the first one when I think audiences would welcome the black comedic self parody of the second movie.

And that's what this did, far as I'm concerned. There are more than one verbal quotes from TCM 2. I feel like this is a fan fiction version (then aren't all of them, when you think about it?) that touches on 2 but hits the self-titled ones harder. It was a blast and definitely worth a watch. Also... hmmm...

Spoiler

It kind of felt like the film that Halloween Kills wanted/could of been. Or that could just be me. Think about it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1