DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

A24!!!!!!

X

RELEASE DATE: March 18

DIRECTOR: Ti MOTHER FUCKING West

CAST: Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, Martin Henderson, Brittany Snow, and Scott Mescudi

This one looks sleazy and fun.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Curse of La Patasola

Directed by AJ Jones

Starring Luciana Faulhaber, Gillie Jones, Patrick Walker

Also starts this weekend on limited release.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, just drew said:

The new SCREAM was an absolute delight. It felt like the freshest and most biting since the original. 

I will try to catch a matinee before the bad weather hits overnight.

• Like 1

I was a little less into the new SCREAM. It was good, very good even but certain aspects had me shaking my head. I loved the final set piece though and the big kill had its desired effect. You know, maybe I liked it more than I thought last night. 

Spoiler

The killers weren't a big shock but made a nice throw back. My biggest complaint was the visions of Billy. My eyes rooooollllled.

Also, went thriving today and found some cool discs. One shop had "The Horror of Dracula," "Dracula Has Risen From The Grave," and "The Hammer Franchise Collection." Another had "The Burning" and VS's  "The Candy Snatchers." I realized I've never seen a Hammer film so I'll be digging into those tonight.

• Like 1

Well, if you want to binge Yellowjackets from start to the most recent episode before the season finale tonight, there will be a marathon on from 9AM EDT to 5PM EDT on Showtime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Well, if you want to binge Yellowjackets from start to the most recent episode before the season finale tonight, there will be a marathon on from 9AM EDT to 5PM EDT on Showtime.

Also if you want to watch tonight’s episode it’s already on the Showtime App and the Showtime section on Prime. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

The Hammer Franchise Collection

Definitely watch Curse of the Werewolf first. That and those two Draculas are pretty much the tippy top of Hammer's library aside from some Frankenstein and Quatermass movies. 

EDIT: Have to amend this: Hands of the Ripper is really good too. The Plague of the Zombies has a really good rep too but I haven't seen it all the way through. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Holy shit, dudes.  Season Finale of Yellowjackets was fucking awesome!

Spoiler

Well, I finally got my answer about Jackie.  RIP.  

It also looks like Lottie is the BBEG of the series.  She is obviously the spiritual ringleader of the burgeoning cannibal cult and apparently she also survived to be rescued and may have had Travis killed and ordered her followers to kidnap Natalie at the end of the episode.

Well, it might have been an intervention since it looked like Nat was about to commit suicide.

Taissa also has some wild shit going on at her house.  It looks like she killed her son's dog and God knows what else she's done.

Misty poisoned the investigator that Taissa hired to follow them so Shana's not the only adult Yellowjacket that has committed a confirmed murder.  We've yet to see if Taissa or Natalie have killed anyone aside from Taissa maybe killing her son's dog in a ritual.

The high school reunion was totally fucking great.

I've enjoyed what I have seen so far and I hope it won't take too long to get S2 out.  The world building was a really slow burn and I am afraid that I will probably forget half of this shit if it takes them forever to crank out more episodes.   I'll most likely binge this all over again a week or so before a new season is announced.

Edited by J.T.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Definitely watch Curse of the Werewolf first. That and those two Draculas are pretty much the tippy top of Hammer's library aside from some Frankenstein and Quatermass movies. 

EDIT: Have to amend this: Hands of the Ripper is really good too. The Plague of the Zombies has a really good rep too but I haven't seen it all the way through. 

My roommate wanted to watch the two Dracula's so that was last nights viewing. They were pretty damn good. Probably liked them more than the Universal Dracula films. Also watched The Burning again. Just a fun summer camp slasher. 

• Like 1

So, hey!  Watched Warning: Do Not Play last night during the ice storm and thought it was pretty good.  A nice genre mash-up of classic K-Horror, suspense, found footage and an interesting take on the old "cursed movie" trope.  I kinda figured out in the middle of the movie that:

Spoiler

The "cursed" horror movie wasn't just a normal horror movie. it was the real footage of the movie crew being murdered by the ghost that haunted the abandoned movie theater.

but it didn't matter because I was still intrigued by the premise.  Seo Ye-Ji does a great job of being the slightly amoral film producer and really gives a sense that she is genuinely terrified in the clutch scenes.  The film also takes time to offer scalding criticism of the cutthroat nature of motion picture industry.

It also clocks in at under 90 minutes so you can scratch your Asian horror itch and not tear out a large chunk of your day.

Available both on SHUDDER and through AMC+ OnDemand.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So you're saying I should watch Yellowjackets.  I'd prefer to watch it with my wife, but I have to know: Is Yellowjackets not for the squeamish?  I can be squeamish.

Yellowjackets is pretty awesome but yeah, there are some gory bits here and there.  Episode 2 starts off with a plane crash and the horrific aftermath.  Just sayin'.

Edited by J.T.

I am slowly working my way through the Shudder queue on AMC+ OnDemand.

Holy shit, dudes.  Ryuhei Kitamura's Downrange, a slasher movie masquerading as a survival misadventure about some kids running afoul of a crazed sniper, is kinda badass and gives zero fucks about what you think about its sheer ruthlessness.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I really would like to say that i enjoyed Kandisha, but it is about as by the numbers as a folk horror movie can get.  It is kinda cool that the movie silently acknowledges that the largest population of Moroccans outside of Morocco is in France, so it makes sense that the urban legends would follow.

There have to be as many versions of the woman becomes boogeyman story (Bloody Mary, La Llorona, La Patasola, The Woman in White, Oiwa, Baba Yaga, ad nauseum) as there are stories about dragons.

I do approve of the indiscriminate bloodlust of the titular monster, though.  Kandisha's victims are male and she really does not give a shit how old or how young they are and her method of murder will please the gorehounds among us.

Edited by J.T.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:17 PM, J.T. said:

Holy shit, dudes.  Season Finale of Yellowjackets was fucking awesome!

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I finally got my answer about Jackie.  RIP.  

It also looks like Lottie is the BBEG of the series.  She is obviously the spiritual ringleader of the burgeoning cannibal cult and apparently she also survived to be rescued and may have had Travis killed and ordered her followers to kidnap Natalie at the end of the episode.

Well, it might have been an intervention since it looked like Nat was about to commit suicide.

Taissa also has some wild shit going on at her house.  She killed her son's dog and God knows what else she's done.

Misty poisoned the investigator that Taissa hired to follow them so she's not the only adult Yellowjacket that has committed a murder.

The high school reunion was totally fucking great.

I've enjoyed what I have seen so far and I hope it won't take too long to get S2 out.  The world building was a really slow burn and I am afraid that I will probably forget half of this shit if it takes them forever to crank out more episodes.   I'll most likely binge this all over again a week or so before a new season is announced.

Holy shit we binged watched all ten episodes in two days and it was crazy.  Loved it.  Favorite character is Misty (but I may be biased, my wife's name is Misty).

I'm thinking there's some supernatural stuff going on, but I like that it's kinda hard to tell.  Thanks for the recommendation!!!

And nobody mentioned that the theme song was a banger:

By Craig Wedren (Shudder to Think) and Anna Waronker (that dog.)  Fucking awesome.

• Like 2

Yeah, there is some wild shit going on with Lottie.  I cannot tell if it is supernatural, crazy, or a little from both.

Misty is a pretty complex character.  She's a tragic figure, but it is hard to feel sorry for her because she's manipulative and also batshit insane.  I thought that Misty was the lunatic of the bunch, but I think we've yet to see how dark Shauna and Taissa can really be.

Definitely looking forward to the rabbit hole that will be Season 2.

Edited by J.T.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, Lawful Metal said:

Holy shit we binged watched all ten episodes in two days and it was crazy.  Loved it.  Favorite character is Misty (but I may be biased, my wife's name is Misty).

I'm thinking there's some supernatural stuff going on, but I like that it's kinda hard to tell.  Thanks for the recommendation!!!

I have finally found someone who appreciates Yellowjackets as much as I do.  My wife said I was fangirling when I was giving her updates on my binge watch, I started watching it about 6 episodes in.

Resonates with me as a high schooler in the mid 90's.  I played Soccer as well as having coached some High School Women's Soccer , I can totally relate to it.  

• Like 1