DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV (2022)

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Do we know which version this will be? Ideally, Hollywood stunt man would be best, since we know MCU lovestheir meta these days. 

It looks like the Hollywood stunt man version.  Ben Kinglsey is reprising his role as Travis Slattery for Wonder Man.  Most likely the show will have Travis looking to make his comeback as an actor and cash in on his fame and goodwill following the events of Shang-Chi / Ten Rings.

I await the rage and sadness of internet incels over the woke casting of a black man as Simon Williams.  Their tears will taste delicious.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Also, the announcement of Wonder Man comes on the heels of Vision Quest, so they may actually go with the whole White Vision / Wonder Man brain wave pattern thing as plot resolution even though MCU Vision's core personality came from Stark's AI, JARVIS.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I await the rage and sadness of internet incels over the woke casting of a black man as Simon Williams.  Their tears will taste delicious.

It feels like a miscast to me, but I also have only seen the guy in serious roles.

The only comic I ever had a 'come-in-the-mail' subscription to was Wonder Man. My first comic ever was the Marvel Saga issue which recounted his origin. That said, the comic was written by Gerard Jones and because of that I never revisited the series and am pretty much ok with them doing anything with the character, so long as it's well-done and entertaining. I have no reason to think this won't be. One truism of Hollywood over the last hundred years is that they love to make movies about movies and TV shows about TV shows.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Can finally bring in the Grim Reaper. 

Given the current social climate, bringing in rabidly racist January 6th Grim Reaper as a heavy for black Wonder Man to smash to bits might be the most Disney thing they've ever done.   Woke casting Grim Reaper and making him a black man would be even more ironic..

I'm just glad that M'Baku / Man-Ape is a good guy in the MCU and won't be there to be Grim Reaper's resident gorilla henchman if they keep Grim Reaper true to the comics.

If they bring in Black Talon in his evil voodoo rooster outfit as Reaper's co-conspirator, I may have to unsubscribe to Disney+.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Given the current social climate, bringing in rabidly racist January 6th Grim Reaper as a heavy for black Wonder Man to smash to bits might be the most Disney thing they've ever done.   Woke casting Grim Reaper and making him a black man would be even more ironic..

I'm just glad that M'Baku / Man-Ape is a good guy in the MCU and won't be there to be Grim Reaper's resident gorilla henchman if they keep Grim Reaper true to the comics.

If they bring in Black Talon in his evil voodoo rooster outfit as Reaper's co-conspirator, I may have to unsubscribe to Disney+.

Not familiar with that so had to look it up.  I'm all for it.  Bring out the crazy stuff.  I want every character on screen to be how they were in the comics.  Don't clean up any of it.  Need more flashy outfits like that.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 1:14 AM, J.T. said:

It looks like the Hollywood stunt man version.  Ben Kinglsey is reprising his role as Travis Slattery for Wonder Man.  Most likely the show will have Travis looking to make his comeback as an actor and cash in on his fame and goodwill following the events of Shang-Chi / Ten Rings.

How would he have fame and goodwill due to Ten Rings? Maybe if he wrote a tell all book and claimed he was forced to portray the Mandarin by AIM. But would people even believe it?

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You could Grim Reaper without the racial stuff. Just the bitter sibling who hates how the android and ionic man are pale imitations of his real brother. leave out the stuff with Nekra and being anti mutant and what not. 

With our luck, they will probably make some half-baked villain out of Raymond Sikorski portrayed by Nick Offerman.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

How would he have fame and goodwill due to Ten Rings? Maybe if he wrote a tell all book and claimed he was forced to portray the Mandarin by AIM. But would people even believe it?

New York was nearly blown off the map by the Chitauri and The Abomination was represented by the She-Hulk at a parole hearing.  Of course the people would believe it.

12 hours ago, roofiethebutcher said:

Not familiar with that so had to look it up.  I'm all for it.  Bring out the crazy stuff.  I want every character on screen to be how they were in the comics.  Don't clean up any of it.  Need more flashy outfits like that.  

Some things are better off left in the pages of ages.  That is one of them. 

Sometimes the whole "you couldn't make that today" is a sign of progress and not a sign of nostalgia for a time when people were not so easily offended.

I am all for the integration of Black Talon if it is done tastefully.  I'd even accept Geoffrey Holder's Baron Samedi look from Live & Let Die over the black rooster costume.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Trevor should be in prison.

I don't disagree as his abduction by Wenwu in the Marvel One-Shot, All Hail the King, is an almost identical scenario to what Wong did with the Abomination. 

That being said, Trevor had a part in thwarting Wenwu's dimension breaking plot and should either receive a pardon, have his sentence commuted to time served, or get paroled like Emil Blonski did. 

If the producers are smart and want to keep the continuity going, they will have Jessica represent Trevor in an episode of Wonder Man and get him off the hook.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Looks like Daniel Craig's scrapped Dr Strange / Multiverse of Madness character, Balder the Brave, may be getting his own gig.  

I was kinda hoping Craig would be on the short list of guys to play Dr. Doom.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

Looks like Daniel Craig's scrapped Dr Strange / Multiverse of Madness character, Balder the Brave, may be getting his own gig. 

If it ends with him getting taken out with mistletoe then Craig will be approaching Sean Bean territory for dying onscreen.

• Haha 2