DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV (2022)

On 5/20/2022 at 7:52 AM, AxB said:

Lots of people on Social Media are upset that She Hulk is so lean, and not inhumanly overmuscled. Not quite Sonic the Hedgehog levels of social media fury, but it's something.

I get it to a degree, but I also think its kind of funny considering she isn't super muscular in the comics normally either. It kind of switches depending on the writer/artist tastes and story from what I have gathered.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

This.

Has Disney/Marvel themselves actually confirmed a new season? Whatever we get probably won't be matching up to the Netflix version completely anyways so I'm not sure how useful the outline would be.

Disney/Marvel haven’t confirmed it (and probably won’t until after She-Hulk anyway), but Deadline and the Hollywood Reporter are pretty reliable on these sorts of things.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

For what its worth - Steven DeKnight, the showrunner for the first Netflix season, said he wouldn't have been available if asked because he is “unavailable for the next few years due to other commitments.”

And

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For what its worth - Steven DeKnight, the showrunner for the first Netflix season, said he wouldn't have been available if asked because he is “unavailable for the next few years due to other commitments.”

And

Erik Oleson is a class act. Really wish he was brought back for Daredevil.

Embargo is up on the first two Ms. Marvel episodes, and from what I've read it's mostly pretty positive.

And if the plot leaks I've read about the show end up being true... ? ? ?

I'm 'bout to be real active in this thread come next week.

Anyway, last night/today they uploaded a little 4 minute docushort called A Fan's Guide to Ms. Marvel. Not really essential, but I found it heartwarming and very sweet. It's just behind the scenes stuff, really. But they did show Iman Vellani in a homemade Ms. Marvel cosplay that she did before she was ever cast as Kamala, and wore to school.

I mean, honestly, her suit should just be that right there but made to look a little better for the screen. Not a huge fan of her MCU outfit but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, Craig H said:

Look, I'm a sucker for Law and Order, so I just really want half of this to really be some courtroom drama stuff. I think I can look past how Shrek-y she looks as long as everything else is good. I'm still more pumped for Ms. Marvel, but I'm also looking forward to this a lot.

Forgot my password for a while and missed the recovery emails going to spam, so I’m just now catching up on these threads, but I immediately thought some of the She-Hulk CGI looks like the really early CGI Barbie dvds my daughter got from a neighbor. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of getting confused by these Marvel TV shows. Ms. Marvel kind of started off promising, now it's kind of meandering and now we're five episodes in and very little has actually happened. 

Moon Knight was a dumpster fire. Hawkeye was a disappointment and badly executed.

Where is Kevin Feige's guiding hand and influence on these shows? I'm not really feeling it anymore. It's starting to remind me of the later Netflix seasons.

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed all the shows for the most part, although Moon Knight is easily at the bottom of the list for me.

I can’t quite put my finger on what’s “wrong” with the shows, but I keep thinking about those early PPVs in the Network era when they’d do free preview months and the ending of the PPVs that month always led more to Raw the next night than any sort of real resolution. 

The shows are basically like an event comic limited series tie-in. They’re mostly standing on their own, could have their own tone, while also being connected (but ultimately non-essential) to the main event.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’ve enjoyed all the shows for the most part, although Moon Knight is easily at the bottom of the list for me.

I can’t quite put my finger on what’s “wrong” with the shows, but I keep thinking about those early PPVs in the Network era when they’d do free preview months and the ending of the PPVs that month always led more to Raw the next night than any sort of real resolution. 

The shows are basically like an event comic limited series tie-in. They’re mostly standing on their own, could have their own tone, while also being connected (but ultimately non-essential) to the main event.  

I think you nailed it. Aside from WandaVision (which setup Dr Strange) and Loki (which could have huge ramifications in the multiverse timeline) nothing has really affected the main event players in the MCU much. The Disney shows are Rampage or Sunday Night Heat to use the wrestling analogy.

Edited by keith_h
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, Ms. Marvel is going to connect to The Marvels (and Secret Invasion is rumored to be a two part series, airing before and after that movie) and Falcon & Winter Soldier set Sam up as the new Captain America after having imposter syndrome immediately after Endgame.

Moon Knight and Hawkeye were pretty much exclusively setting up four new characters (Moon Knight, Kate Bishop, Echo and Kingpin). Hawkeye had connections to Black Widow through the post credits scene, and kind of semi-retired Clint/was a passing of the torch moment as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think what's wrong with them, other than Loki and WandaVision, they're not structured and written very well. They don't have satisfying payoffs or executions. A lot of buildup and table setting and then lots of meandering and waffling. 

Like the first season of Amazon's The Tick had better world building and setup along with doing a superhero origin for Tick and Arthur, plus giving them a compelling threat, and Jackie Earle Haley chewing the scenery as The Terror.

Also, The Tick live action show was highly underrated and was cancelled far too early.