DVDVR Message Board

What Ya Reading in 2022?

Dolfan in NYC

I read Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler in, like, 8-10 days 'round January and February. I totally hyperfocused binge read them. I couldn't put them down. 

I also read the second Dune book. Shit went sideways this year, but I'm lookin' to get back in the saddle in 2023. Jordan Harper has a new book out and another one coming out in January, and I'm gonna read more Octavia Butler. Probably gonna throw in some Toni Morrison and Assata Shakur's autobiography. 

Aaaaaand I just remembered I have Gary Hart's book on my computer. That, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Gotham Central = great series. Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker reimagine the Gotham Central Police Department as The Wire, or more accurately, Homicide: Life on the Streets. Spectacular ending too. Best Bat-book I've read in a long time.  

Gotham Central RULES. I saw the whole run in a single issue "boxed set" at a comic shop in Chicago over ten years ago and I still kick myself for not buying it. I HAD THE MONEY. 

I just recently discovered that the law career of Vincent LaGuardia Gambini has been continuing in the literary world since 2017. Last week I finished reading "Back to Brooklyn" which takes place right after the film ends, although it updates things to modern times. It's clearly a labor of love for the author. He perfectly captures the spirit of the Vinny and Lisa characters, to the point that I was reading it in Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei's voices.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with Dan Clowe's Lloyd Llewellyn series, though suitably impressed that he went from that series to the mind-bending brilliance of Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron and the rest of Eightball. 

Even more disappointing was Six from Sirius, which I'd have to classify as a dud. It's one of those sci-fi comics where the author tries to explain everything through expository dialogue instead of captions, which made it confusing and difficult to follow. There also wasn't a ton of story to fill a four issue limited series. Gulacy's art felt a bit static to me and didn't have the level of composition I've come to expect from him. I'd be interested in hearing from a fan of this series. 

I quite liked the early issues of Jemm, Son of Saturn, where Jemm first arrives on Earth, and Colan is being inked by Klaus Janson, but the story lost its way when it became a space epic, and I didn't think there was enough story to justify a 12 issue maxi-series. I mostly read it because I'm interested in Colan's 80s output. There seemed to be a huge difference between street level Colan and outer space Colan. I can't really claim that the Jemm character is all that interesting, either. He seems kind of redundant in a world where there's already a Martian Manhunter. 

On 12/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, JLSigman said:

I'm done through Reign of X 14, and I'm not sure how much more my library has available at this point. It looks like the Trial of Magneto is collected, but that only seems to be 5 issues of X-Men and nothing more. I'll have to look up what the next batch of story is called.

Trial of Magneto: absolute garbage. They put a man who didn't commit the crime into Krakoa hell prison for what?
Mauraders vol 4 (22 - 27): Not too bad, looks like they're shaking up all the rosters.
New Mutants vol 2 (finishing the Shadow King arc): Excellent stuff. I love it when they get mystical.

Marked to borrow when I get borrows tomorrow: New Mutants vol 3, and S.W.O.R.D. vols 1 and 2.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, JLSigman said:

Meanwhile, I had borrowed a copy of the Mahabharata, translated by Carole Satyamurti

I'm most of the way through this. It's really good if you're interested in Indian epics.