DVDVR Message Board

What Ya Reading in 2022?

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 8:07 AM, JLSigman said:

Taking a break from comics and reading Beren and Luthien. Lots of neat stuff from Christopher Tolkien about how the story became so integral to the rest of the Silmarillion, and how much it changed from the first inklings of it in 1917.

This is lovely, and a real good look at how Tolkien's writing process worked. I definitely want to read a physical copy at some point, the illustrations are gorgeous (it's Alan Lee, so duh), and the poetry will flow better when it's not weirdly chopped up by my iPhone screen. ?

Dawn of X vol 4 was so good. The dinner scene with Xavier, Apocalypse, and Magneto? Holy shit. I still like what they're doing with Marauders and X-Force. New Mutants needs to get back to the folks I care about but it's even these other folks are well written.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotten through vol 6. RIP Fallen Angels, WTF was that? Excalibur continues to be ignored. I love Mauraders. X-Force is a bit uneven, but snarky Jean Grey is always Good. X-Men is setting us up for something that is going to make me be on Mystique's side, isn't it?

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Gotten through vol 6. RIP Fallen Angels, WTF was that? Excalibur continues to be ignored. I love Mauraders. X-Force is a bit uneven, but snarky Jean Grey is always Good. X-Men is setting us up for something that is going to make me be on Mystique's side, isn't it?

Yes.

• Like 1

Read Dawn of X #7, which was wildly uneven, and finished by absolutely punching me in the face with the whole Crucible thing. There are certainly a lot of Choices being made here, and I don't think I like all of them, but they are incredible for storytelling purposes.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd be curious to hear how you think Hickman ends things before you get around to reading them. 

I'm guessing this is not really Xavier, somehow. That "Cerebro" has become it's own entity and is riding the meat suit. Also, there's something off about resurrection, to explain the way a few characters are acting (to me) out of character.

I think it's going to come down to finding out why Kate Pryde can't use the gates.

• Like 1

Dawn of X #8 done, and this one was just kinda there. Why does Wolverine need his own series when that story could've been told in the other two series he's already in? And when, exactly, does the Emma/Jean thing take place, because Storm was fine a minute ago.

I know these should've been read in a specific order (I've seen the posts), but they really could've put these collections together better.

I'm also reading Hiroshima, one of the few things I have that my mother's father owned (he wrote his name in the front cover). It's heartbreaking.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, JLSigman said:

Just finished Dawn of X #9, and not knowing who Broo was really made the ending not make any sense. It also seems to be the last collection the library has available through Hoopla. I'll have to dig around and see how else it's collected.

Ugh my library is annoying. Available through Hoopla are also the collections of the individual series, but the numbering is weird. Volume 1 is 1 - 6, volume 2 is 7 - 11, then volume three starts with 16. A little more digging and the missing issues are in a big X of Sword omnibus, which OK fine whatever. So I'll probably get the Mauraders and XMen ones, then X of Swords, then try to see what else I like from there.

For my birthday I got myself the Encyclopaedia Eorzea vol 2, and it is making my nerd lore brain very, very happy.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:25 AM, JLSigman said:

Ugh my library is annoying. Available through Hoopla are also the collections of the individual series, but the numbering is weird. Volume 1 is 1 - 6, volume 2 is 7 - 11, then volume three starts with 16. A little more digging and the missing issues are in a big X of Sword omnibus, which OK fine whatever. So I'll probably get the Mauraders and XMen ones, then X of Swords, then try to see what else I like from there.

For my birthday I got myself the Encyclopaedia Eorzea vol 2, and it is making my nerd lore brain very, very happy.

Marauders vol 2 - boy the art got shitty with issue #12. And that was the biggest non-explanation of why the resurrection wasn't working that made everyone involved look like complete fucking idiots. And Kate is absolutely the Whitest White girl to get very stupid knuckle tatts.

Encyclopaedia Eorzea vol 2 was amazing, but the print is kinda small, and my bifocals are old, and I spent half a day barely able to see.

Slowly making my way through X of Swords. This is good writing! I hate how Magneto treats Polaris (now the vilification of Scarlet Witch makes more sense). Knew there was going to be a betrayal, was not expecting that first one. Xavier and Magneto rubbing that in Apocalypses' face will surely never backfire, no, it's not like he has ever held a grudge for thousands of years....

On 9/22/2022 at 8:35 AM, JLSigman said:

Slowly making my way through X of Swords.

That was EXCELLENT. Only thing I didn't like was Hellions, and that's because I do not get this weird new Mister Sinister personality. Everything else was amazing. I may have to get a physical copy of that someday, because some of those panels/pages are incredible.

I'm out of Hoopla borrows until Oct 1, so I'll have to see what my physical Pile of Shame looks like.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, JLSigman said:

I'm out of Hoopla borrows until Oct 1, so I'll have to see what my physical Pile of Shame looks like.

Grabbed my copy of Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier off the shelf. I haven't read this in 15 years, probably. It's a retelling of the seven swans fable, and the first in what ended up being 5 or 6 books. I remember loving this one, but becoming less into the series as it went on.

Had to go to the library to prove I still live in the neighborhood and grabbed Stephen King's newest, Fairy Tale. So far, I've seen reviews that it both is and is not like The Talisman, which happens to be one of my favs of his. We'll see.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, JLSigman said:

Had to go to the library to prove I still live in the neighborhood and grabbed Stephen King's newest, Fairy Tale. So far, I've seen reviews that it both is and is not like The Talisman, which happens to be one of my favs of his. We'll see.

Couple hundred pages in now and we're firmly in "I like this" territory.

Grabbed Reign of X #1 through Hoopla after I got my library card sorted. Not going to give any amount of fucks about Hellion, but S.W.O.R.D. #1 had some absolutely amazing art, and the final quote from Doctor Doom absolutely took me out.

• Like 1