Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Round Robin fan tournament is back:

Why is it called "Round Robin" when the graphic appears to show brackets for a single elimination tournament?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

The Harley Quinn spinoff takes place directly after Curse and co-written by Sean and his wife Katana Collins, who is lovely by the way, ever so charming, and drawn by Mateo Scalera. I bought both covers as Sean did them and then Mateo did the variant covers. Really fun series. I have every issue of the Murphyverse signed by Sean and the Harley spinoff signed by Sean and Katana as well as the Von Freeze one shot signed by Sean and Klaus Jansen. 

Thank you my friend xxx.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 10:20 AM, The Natural said:

One for me and @WholeFnMachine, Batman: Beyond the White Knight. Video contains spoilers for Batman: White Knight and Batman: Curse of the White Knight. We'd recommend both. Need to read the Harley Quinn spinoff.  What's that spinoff about and who by, Christopher? Cheers mate.

 

On 3/30/2022 at 1:13 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

The Harley Quinn spinoff takes place directly after Curse and co-written by Sean and his wife Katana Collins, who is lovely by the way, ever so charming, and drawn by Mateo Scalera. I bought both covers as Sean did them and then Mateo did the variant covers. Really fun series. I have every issue of the Murphyverse signed by Sean and the Harley spinoff signed by Sean and Katana as well as the Von Freeze one shot signed by Sean and Klaus Jansen. 

 

On 3/30/2022 at 5:34 AM, The Natural said:

Thank you my friend xxx.

Ordered the TPB of Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn and it arrived 15 minutes ago. I now have Batman: White Knight, Batman: Curse of the White Knight and Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn in TPB. It's one of the few comic book runs I've set out to complete. The others? Grant Morrison's Batman run, Scott Snyder/Rafael Albuquerque American Vampire, Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo Batman and Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

DC-Round.Robin-Bracket-1920x1080-R2-01.j

Quote

Hawkman & Hawkwoman: The Changeling by writer Cavan Scott and artist Fico Ossio, 
Constantine & The Demon: Vacation from Hell by writer Frank Allen and artist Nik Virella, 
Suicide Squad: Dark by writer Zac Thompson and artist Garry Brown, 
Kid Flash: The Speed of Fear by writer Brandon Easton and artist Travis Mercer, 
Green Lantern: The Birth of Conspiracy by writer Scott Bryan Wilson and artist Skylar Patridge, 
DC Horror: Ghost Tour from Hell by writer Tee Franklin and artist Dominikie "Domo" Stanton, 
Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow by writer Kenny Porter and artist Jahnoy Lindsay and 
Green Lantern: A Light at The End of Forever by writer Si Spurrier and artist Marco Santucci.

further descriptions and info can be found at:

https://www.cbr.com/round-robin-round-2-creative-teams-expanded-descriptions-dc/

some interesting concepts, but nothing i'm terribly interested in personally.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

e3QZpxo_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

DC Comics’s namesake title is getting a new creative team. The publisher has announced that writer Ram V, artist Rafael Albuquerque, and color artist Dave Stewart will take over the reins of Detective Comics starting in July. Kicking off in Detective Comics #1062, the team’s first four-issue story arc finds Batman embroiled in a music-themed mystery. Writer Si Spurrier will provide the ongoing backup stories for the monthly series, with the first story, illustrated by Dani, following Jim Gordon on his return to Gotham as a private investigator.

Here’s how DC describes Detective Comics #1062:

The story starts with “Gotham Nocturne” part 1 of 4: “Overture.” Something is terribly wrong with Batman. No matter the tests Bruce takes, nor the numbers he counts, the greatest detective in the world can’t pin down the source of this creeping dread—of his own inner demons and a looming mortality. He’s not alone in the grips of this terror, as it seems real demons are creeping through the shadows of Gotham City, answering the clarion call of a strange melody that’s haunting Gotham…and seems to be turning its denizens into something else.

The curtains are rising on a new, terrifying mystery as Batman tries to figure out what’s happening to both the city he protects and his own mind in this lush, operatic mystery.

Don't remember reading Ram V before. Rafael Albuquerque on art, great. One of my favourite artists. Premise sounds interesting. Batman fortunes are looking up with Chip Zdarsky/Jorge Jiménez on Batman #125 and this creative team. There was only a few things I liked Batman related from DC Rebirth: The Button, Batman Annual #2 - Some of These Days, Batman Annual #3 - Father's Day, Batman Annual #4 - Everyday and Super Sons.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, The Natural said:

Don't remember reading Ram V before. Rafael Albuquerque on art, great. One of my favourite artists. Premise sounds interesting. Batman fortunes are looking up with Chip Zdarsky/Jorge Jiménez on Batman #125 and this creative team. There was only a few things I liked Batman related from DC Rebirth: The Button, Batman Annual #2 - Some of These Days, Batman Annual #3 - Father's Day, Batman Annual #4 - Everyday and Super Sons.

I thought Tamaki's Detective run was solid, but missing something to make it truly interesting and memorable. Never read Ram V, but I have heard good things about his current Swamp Thing run so hopefully this delivers. Right now though I have to admit I find myself more interested in the backs from Spurrier.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at the shop today and couldn't find anything new I wanted to buy. (Admittedly, I had already bought the new Gillen and Ewing X-books.) 

I think the only current DC book I'm currently reading is One Star Squadron, now that Batman/Scooby-Doo is over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed Camelot 3000. Ordinarily, I would hate this sort of premise -- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table are resurrected and fight space aliens in the future -- but Bolland's art was brilliant. I understand there were all sorts of delays with the book because of how slowly he worked, but it left me wishing that he'd done more interior work during his career. Probably more of a triumph in collected form than it was off the shelves. Nonetheless, DC's 80s experiments were a fertile time in mainstream American comics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I really enjoyed Camelot 3000. Ordinarily, I would hate this sort of premise -- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table are resurrected and fight space aliens in the future -- but Bolland's art was brilliant. I understand there were all sorts of delays with the book because of how slowly he worked, but it left me wishing that he'd done more interior work during his career. Probably more of a triumph in collected form than it was off the shelves. Nonetheless, DC's 80s experiments were a fertile time in mainstream American comics.

IIRC, there was a long gap at the end, maybe a year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, there was a long gap at the end, maybe a year?

There were multiple long gaps.  First eight issues took 11 months to publish (3-month gap between 5 & 6), then scheduling went off the rails.  9, 10 & 11 all shipped 3-4 months after previous issue and 12 was released 10 months after 11.  All in all, it took about  2 1/2 years to release all 12 issues. 
 

lol, Brian Bolland was ahead of his time.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't even sure if he still existed in modern continuity. 

I wonder if there's a thought piece to be done about why a lot of LBGT heroes seem to be second generation legacy characters. 

Less potential for controversy than it being a long established character? More likely to attract newer fans who don't have the attachment to 50+ year old characters? More diverse creators also more attracted to newer characters? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 4:54 PM, odessasteps said:

I wasn't even sure if he still existed in modern continuity. 

I wonder if there's a thought piece to be done about why a lot of LBGT heroes seem to be second generation legacy characters. 

Less potential for controversy than it being a long established character? More likely to attract newer fans who don't have the attachment to 50+ year old characters? More diverse creators also more attracted to newer characters? 

I think a lot of it's the first one.

You can use characters who have established names without changing the headline characters.

Like, you can't suddenly make Ollie ace. We know damn well he's not, nobody is gonna accept that. But Connor? Why not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Green Lantern Jason Todd on another Earth. All I can say.

JSA to appear again in Flashpoint Beyond. 

The Earth 0 JSA to appear in StarGirls 6 issues series later. With Huntress for some reason.

Anyway Pariah wants to destroy Earth 0 and bring back the pre crisis multiverse. Ollie seems crippled up and alive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pjimage-2022-04-29t150629-136-1651259193

lnbg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

R.I.P. Neil Adams. A legend. When I think of Batman, Dennis O'Neil/Neil Adams run comes up. Thoughts go out to Adams' family and friends at this sad time xxx.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...