DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, The Natural said:

Batman #125-126. The main story, Failsafe is written by Chip Zdarsky and drawn by Jorge Jiminez. The backup called Two Birds, One Throne is also written by Zdarsky and the artist is Belen Ortega. I pre-ordered Batman #125 a while ago when the news broke Chip Zdarsky was on Batman as he wrote the wonderful Finale in Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 which me and @Matt D always talk up, My Dinner With Jonah from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 which is great and his Daredevil's really good also. Batman #125 came out last month and Batman #126 today. In the main story, Batman talks about his mission and the cost that this life won't allow for him or his soldiers happiness and there's the titular Failsafe as a new adversary. In the backups, Catwoman has to deal with the ramifications over what happened to the Penguin. I really liked both. There's a huge last page reveal to the main story of Batman #126. Zdarsky has balls bringing that back with how brilliant the two stories are using that concept. One for, @Brian Fowler and @twiztor.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, The Natural said:

The last page reveal:

Reveal hidden contents

FZKbCjPXgAYXnO_?format=jpg&name=medium

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. First appearance since Batman RIP in 2008, part of Grant Morrison's epic Batman run. Batman of Zur-En-Arrh debuted in the story Batman - The Superman of Planet-X!.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:40 AM, twiztor said:

haven't followed Batman for a few years (too caught up on other stuff!) but read 125 & 126 because of this post. Decent enough story. Even with your lead that they were bringing someone or something back, i didn't expect this one! thanks for the shout!

On 8/3/2022 at 5:53 AM, The Natural said:

Thank you for reading Batman #125-126 because of my post. I didn't expect that concept either. Genuine surprise. You're welcome for the shout, my friend.

Chip Zdarsky, Jorge Jiminez and Belen Ortega on Batman #127:

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/batman-127-chip-zdarsky-jorge-jimenez-belen-ortega-interview-dc-comics-failsafe/#11

With what Chip Zdarsky has done here, it's interesting going back to Grant Morrison's Batman run, the best Batman comic book run by far and best comic book run ever finding this:

ygnocNa_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #6.

Batman #127 preview was released yesterday, makes me want to read the issue out next week even more:

Spoiler

ngcb1

ngcb1

ngcb1

ngcb1

ngcb1

Great getting a reference in an epilogue to JLA: Tower of Babel, one of the best Batman books ever. Gutsy of Zdarsky taking on Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, only third time this iteration has been used. The previous two using the character are two of the most memorable Batman stories.

• Like 1

I finished Jim Shooter's run on Adventure Comics. It loses its charm when Curt Swan leaves. Win Mortimer isn't a bad artist, but I was used to the aesthetic Swan gave the book. Shooter was getting older too, and didn't have quite the same youthful enthusiasm. It's a great run, though, with some classic stories and a ton of folklore. The first appearance of Mordru is a brilliant two-parter and the peak of the run to me. I understand that Shooter continued to write some backup Legion stories in Action Comics, but I can't imagine that they're much better than the final Win Mortimer stint. 

Dark Crisis 4

The ominverse is false. And Pariah brings back the Infinite Multiverse. Something is corrupting the great darkness.

Flashpoint Beyond 5,

Spoiler

Revealed Jokers real name,  and tied to 3 jokers. 

A shot of Thomas has him crashing through the windows with different hypertime timelines of Robin events on glass. 

Noticed the old pre crisis Rip Hunter is back. Or something close to him.

Have to see what Flashpoint 6 does. While neither FB or DCOIE are doing reboots, they are debooting things. 

Constant reboots were Didio's regime thing. Prior to that we had only Crisis and Zero Hour, and post Zero Hour only changed few things.

21 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

OK i am all about this. while some of Stan's redesigns/origins weren't great (Batman), some were pretty decent and i was interested in them (Green Lantern, Wonder Woman). I wish we could have gotten to see what Stan would have come up with for Martian Manhunter. If i had ever gotten to meet him, that would have been my question to him.

• Like 1

Have to see if there is one infinite Multiverse going forward, if so then Stan Lee Earth 6 overrides pre crisis Lady Quarks Earth 6. I don't think everything from post crisis will all be undone someday.

Some soliction news:

Batman Urban Legends ended.

Helena Wayne is back via Hypertime maybe. 

I have to go through the solicts with laggy websites.

I finished Mark Waid's first run on The Flash. It was okay, but it was full of generic superhero stories. I don't see why it's considered a landmark run. I guess Mike Baron and William Messner-Loebs' runs may be considered weird to some folks, but to me, they were far more brilliant. There were some positives to Waid's run. He was good at multi-part storylines, and he did a lot of nice stuff with Wally and Linda. To his credit, his writing was solid enough that it didn't really matter when the art was subpar, but I don't get what the big deal was, other than the fact that it was long. Perhaps the appeal is that it was a solid superhero run in a decade not known for its solid superhero runs, but you'd think it was the equivalent to Peter David's Hulk run the way some people go on about it. I guess other folks are way more into the Speed Force thing than I was. I must really like Wally West, though, as I intend to keep going through the Morrison and Millar run and back to Waid, and maybe even Johns. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

I think a lot of it does have to with grading on a curve at the time. Also, some things at the time were prob more “impactful” because it hadn’t been done before, like the Return of Barry Allen and the subsequent swerve.

BTW, Waid should be doing the pod before the end the year. #plug

Edited by odessasteps

Superman Son of Kal El ends at no. 18. New series Adventures of Superman will continue his adventures, appearing are Ultraman of Earth 3 and Val Zod of Earth 2.

New Superman book staring Kal El starts after.

Action Comics becomes the Super Family book.

So DC is offering an upgrade to their DC Universe Infinite subscription which will have new books one month after direct market release. $99 is the introductory price(no word on what it'll be after that) which is $15 more than what their normal annual cost is. Ultra will apparently also be the future home of some of the collections and Vertigo/Black Label stuff. Unrelated to the Ultra stuff they'll be adding issues of Mad Magazine to the service.

As someone who already subscribes, I'll wait for the upgrade details but I figure it's a no-brainer for me. Between the six months for DCUI and the lag time on their collections, it's been kinda a killer to jump into new DC stuff without buying single issues.