DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Flashpoint beyond has interesting nihilistic take. Thomas doesn't want to save the flashpoint world and he wants to bring back the real world so his son can live. Someone else bought the flashpoint world back, so nots Barry or Thawne

Suicide Squad removed the bombs that kept them enforced. Task Force X and the Suicide Squad are disbanded and the Belle Reave prison is destroyed. Anyway they're all gonna work for Lex now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Flashpoint beyond has interesting nihilistic take. Thomas doesn't want to save the flashpoint world and he wants to bring back the real world so his son can live. Someone else bought the flashpoint world back, so nots Barry or Thawne

Flashpoint Beyond #0 or Flashpoint Beyond #1? The latter, right?

2 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Thought so as I read #0 but it didn't do enough to add the series to my pull list. Shame as someone who really liked the original Flashpoint and Flashpoint Batman...well apart from the hatchet job Tom King did on him.

Edited by The Natural

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thought so as I read #0 but it didn't do enough to add the series to my pull list. Shame as someone who really liked the original Flashpoint and Flashpoint Batman...well apart from the hatchet job Tom King did on him.

He has been reverted back personality wise. What Tom King did to him can just be labeled as Thomas having a mental breakdown.

Someone else will have to further retcom stuff out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

He has been reverted back personality wise. What Tom King did to him can just be labeled as Thomas having a mental breakdown.

Someone else will have to further retcom stuff out.

That's good to know. Cheers. Almost said D.Z!

• Like 1

I finished Fables today, a series I first began reading back in December. It had its ups and downs as you’d expect any series to do that lasts 150 issues, but it consistently entertained me day in, day out for a solid five months. I read that Willingham originally envisioned the series running for one issue longer than Cerebus. I don’t know if Willingham had that many stories left to tell, but now I hear that the book is returning for another 12 issue arc, so we’ll see how that goes.

A lot of people comment on how the book should’ve ended after the first 75 issues, and would have been better as a standard 60-75 issue Vertigo series. I never really felt that way reading it. In fact, I didn’t find the reveal of the Adversary’s identity, or the final battle against his Empire, to be hugely momentous. I actually felt that the conclusion to a lot of the arcs were anticlimactic. It got to the point where I started wondering if it was intentional on Willingham’s part or a weakness of his as a writer. What held the book together for me was the rich cast of characters and the uniform look that Buckingham and Leialoha gave the series. Willingham was lucky to have the same artists on the book for the majority of its run.

Many people had strong opinions about this series. It almost rivaled the type of feedback you see from a television show. As I read the complaints, I began to develop a type of mentality of “Ok, let’s see what the writer chooses to do with these characters” instead of worrying about what I wanted to see happen. I didn’t agree with every decision Willingham made, but I wasn’t incensed by any of them, and I remained invested in the characters. Nobody’s forced to like the direction an artist goes in, but I sometimes think we lose track of an artist’s right to take things in a new direction.

That said, I’m not sure where Fables would rank in my echelon of great comic book runs. Probably in my top 25 If it had been a bit more emotionally satisfying instead of intellectually stimulating it may have ranked higher. There were a few moments that were genuinely emotional, and well built, but the highs weren’t quite as high as other runs I’m fond of. Still, a remarkable achievement for any creative team to last that long, and now they want to come back for more?

• Like 2

Batman: One Bad Day Series of One-Shots

I'll likely pick these up even the Tom King one as his best Batman stories are one and dones in Batman Annual #2 and Batman Annual #4. You'd think the Joker would be included with his popularity, not having Scarecrow for October is surprising and needs more women - the Phantasm/Poison Ivy.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff I read in May:

Darwyn Cooke's DC: The New Frontier wound up being one of the best things I've read in quite some time. I don't have a strong affinity for DC Silver Age characters, so I don't know how others would view his take on the era, but I thought it was fantastic. I wasn't sure at first whether I liked his Batman: The Animated Series style artwork, but he won me over by the end of the first issue and I wound up loving it. I haven't read Kingdom Come, but I thought it was easily better than James Robinson's The Golden Age and one of the best superhero books I've read in a mightily long time. 

I also really liked Batman and the Monster Men. I'm sure some people might find the idea of taking a single issue Golden Age story and turning it into a six issue mini series to be of dubious merit, but I really like Matt Wagner's version of Batman and he has a great feel for the era. Personally, I found it to be one of the more interesting Batman stories I've read in a while. 

The other series I finished this month was Terminal City, which was decent but somewhat confusing. I still have trouble following Dean Motter's writing at times. Nice art by Michael Lark, though. I also read the first Lucifer mini-series, which was okay but didn't leave me hankering to read the ongoing series. Not just yet. 

Howard Chaykin and Jose Luis García-Lopez' Twilight was really good. The story is a bit dense, but you really get to see Garcia-Lopez cut loose and show his penciling chops. I was super impressed. There's a couple of other lesser known projects of his I'm hoping to check out where I'm hoping he does the same. 

I reached the point where Shade, the Changing Man starts getting good after a rough first year that is somewhat similar to the first Sandman storyline or the early Hellblazer in terms of being a little shaky. 

I really really hated Twilight at the time, since it was more of that late 80s darkening of Silver Age characters that was very overdone, even though it’s Chaykin and JLGL.

I was a big fan of Terminal City, as mentioned when we talked about Mr X. Lark might be one of my favorite modern artists.

have you watched the New Frontier animated movie?