DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

If it sticks, it will be what the golden age to silver age was for change, from the JSA to JLA. Seems it's only for the new Earth 0 JL and not the solos.

Edited by Blue Dragon

15 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

If it sticks [...] Seems it's only for the new Earth 0 JL and not the solos.

which pretty much guarantees that it will NOT stick. 

i mean, i hope it finds an audience and blows up huge and does awesome in sales. But to me, it just comes across as the latest sales stunt. Then again, i'm not buying or reading JL anyway, so who cares what i think?

What value are even in the comics at this point? There have been a lot of animated DC projects but the movies tend to be more director-driven to the point that only so much ever gets tapped into. From a corporate standpoint, you already have a million stories you can mine in the can. The value is in creating new characters/iterations of characters to market and license. With Marvel, the media being produced seems more extensive and centralized so there's more value in focusing on new stories with the core characters. With DC, maybe they should just ignore sales numbers and focus on new entities (even if they're all just new Batman entities: the upcoming CW show is going to be about Harper Row, I guess?).

The comic line is profitable said Jim Lee, helps they reduced workers and reduced producing titles that won't sell for long. He did mentioned wanting to focus on newer characters, new stories etc.

The threat of many characters entering the public domain in the next decade is looming as well....

You do wonder what creators would be wiling to create new characters WFH these days, instead of the endless multiverse variations of characters. 

I saw an interview with Joe Kelly recently where he was slightly disappointed in hindsight that he created America Chavez for Marvel instead of using her in a creator owned project. 

I know plenty of folks have expressed similar sentiment. 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, odessasteps said:

I saw an interview with Joe Kelly recently where he was slightly disappointed in hindsight that he created America Chavez for Marvel instead of using her in a creator owned project. 

This amuses me since she likely would have failed miserably on her own, and the creator that actually made her work was Gillen. I think this is the case for many new characters in Marvel/DC. Really what they need to do is more figure out deals to make sure they get decent residuals for their creations

• Like 2

I don't read enough current big 2 books to know how many "new" characters have broken out recently. I know there are a couple of newer Bat characters (faces and heels)  that have been pushed, like Punchline, but not many after that. 

Also, the last issue of Batman/Scooby-Doo was this week and it's a who'd who of B and C list villains having cameos. Made my day. 

46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't read enough current big 2 books to know how many "new" characters have broken out recently. I know there are a couple of newer Bat characters (faces and heels)  that have been pushed, like Punchline, but not many after that. 

The big 3 were Ghost Maker, Punchline, and Clown Hunter under Tynion's Batman run last year. Doesn't really feel like any of them have fully broken out and Punchline who was pushed the hardest was legit the least interesting one of the bunch. On the non-Batman side there is Naomi and a Brazilian WW. Don't think either have broken out big yet either though Naomi at least has a CW series.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:16 PM, Eivion said:

The big 3 were Ghost Maker, Punchline, and Clown Hunter under Tynion's Batman run last year. Doesn't really feel like any of them have fully broken out and Punchline who was pushed the hardest was legit the least interesting one of the bunch.

I agree with your assessment of the three. Neither do anything for me. Ghost Maker or Clown Hunter is my favourite but that's not saying much considering what we've both said.

@Brian Fowler: What did you think to Batman: The Long Halloween SpecialWe were both looking forward to it.

I really enjoyed going back to this time period, a sequel to Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory. My favourite thing from Batman: The Long Halloween Special is when Jim Gordon asks Batman if Robin can trick or treat with Barbara but he pulls his disappearing act so Gordon's surprised to find both at his front door.

Edited by The Natural

Dark Crisis is ahead in the timeline. Nothing has been mentioned about what DC will eventually do to Bruce's, Diana, Clark solos. Maybe 1 year in their respective prison dream worlds where they can't crossover?

Edited by Blue Dragon

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

One for me and @WholeFnMachine, Batman: Beyond the White Knight. Video contains spoilers for Batman: White Knight and Batman: Curse of the White Knight. We'd recommend both. Need to read the Harley Quinn spinoff.  What's that spinoff about and who by, Christopher? Cheers mate.

The Harley Quinn spinoff takes place directly after Curse and co-written by Sean and his wife Katana Collins, who is lovely by the way, ever so charming, and drawn by Mateo Scalera. I bought both covers as Sean did them and then Mateo did the variant covers. Really fun series. I have every issue of the Murphyverse signed by Sean and the Harley spinoff signed by Sean and Katana as well as the Von Freeze one shot signed by Sean and Klaus Jansen. 

• Thanks 1