DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

More Info on the previous page of this thread

I expect Bruce to be the one to break away from the Pariah worlds and "survive". Seems Black Adam survives before all that.

There won't be any reboots, retcons, or rewriting time and space. Never said anything however about adding or subtracting or destroying.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

i always enjoy the Crisis events. i'm in.

but LOL at Bruce being the one to survive. of course. he's so far past LOLCENAWINS that it's not even funny. i'm slowly making my read of Dark Metal, and my primary thought is "of course Bruce is a better Flash than Wally and Barry. and a better Martian Manhunter than J'onn. and a better everything than everybody." i'm sure i will have a big Snyder post once i finish the series and its spinoffs, but come on dude. i don't even follow DC comics on a regular basis, and i'm batman'd out. 

P.S. i was also informed that Robins #5 came out this week, making 10 of the 15 comics Batman-related. Literally 2/3 are Bat-centric. 

Batman sells the most, so it is to be expected. The other characters do well digitally.

Green Lantern is probably wrapping up, expect Hal probably to get his book back. He isn't getting killed by these guys below

BmWvtHByToPJvV8aypqvN.jpg

14 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Geoff Johns hanging out with disgraced racist collaborator EVS in public again makes me wonder if Flashpoint 2: Electric Boogaloo is about to go the way of Generations.

Hey, @The Unholy Dragon. Long time no see. How are you? Who's EVS?

Edited by The Natural

so i finished Scott Snyder's run from Justice League up through Death Metal.

Overall, i very much enjoyed it. but i have some thoughts...

Snyder is excellent at coming up with these big, high-concept scenarios. The Omega Titans, the alien gods during "Drowned Earth", the Totality, Perpetua, and all that. My favorite part of reading his run was finding out what he would come up with next. But that leads into the other side of the coin. All of this was arguably TOO big. What's the difference between when the Earth dies (Drowned Earth), the universe dies (Omega Titans), or when all of everything dies (Death Metal)? I think it was supposed to be kind of an escalating threat, but once the Earth and its heroes are dead/gone, the story is over. Whether the rest of the universe/multiverse/omniverse also ceases to exist is superfluous.

And maybe it's just the cynic in me, but when the stakes get this high, there's only one outcome: the good guys win and everything will be reset.  Back in 1985, when the original Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, stuff changed. The Flash DIED. Supergirl CEASED TO EXIST. the stories continued, but those characters didn't there were consequences that were felt. dozens of characters died over the course of Snyder's story, but at the end, they're all back. no repercussions. And because this was always the only outcome, then does the threat even matter? It's hard to get personally connected to a story that will always exist in its own bubble in the middle of a raging sea of stories.

The Batman Who Laughs was a great character in the beginning. A Batman with the coldness of the Joker? Excellent idea (see also: Mark Millar's Nemesis, a 4 issue miniseries that i really loved when it came out). Even that initial push of alternate dark Batmen was a fun take. But by the time Death Metal was rolling, there were HUNDREDS of evil Batmen. and it was really lame. Some of them even had promising setups (Batman's consciousness takes over the whole of Gotham City), but still never developed. They were all background characters and didn't amount to a damn thing. You could've accomplished the same thing with generic super powered robots and it doesn't change the story one iota.

OK, big picture complaints aside, i thought it was a pretty great run and i'm glad i read through it all. I don't know if Snyder has written anything since, but if he has i will check it out in the future. after a long break of going back to shorter, character-driven stories. Comics, like wrestling and most other things, work best when they follow the buffet philosophy- there's always something there for everyone. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, The Natural said:

Hey, @The Unholy Dragon. Long time no see. How are you? Who's EVS?

I'm good thanks!

I got out of habit checking the forum around the time I got into the habit of working seven days a week so oops.

Anyway, apparently Van Sciver just posted a pic of Johns with podcast hype to stir shit up as he is truly garbage. 

Johns' path to being the 2000s John Byrne but only a writer returns to a slow boil.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, twiztor said:

so i finished Scott Snyder's run from Justice League up through Death Metal.

Overall, i very much enjoyed it. but i have some thoughts...

Snyder is excellent at coming up with these big, high-concept scenarios. The Omega Titans, the alien gods during "Drowned Earth", the Totality, Perpetua, and all that. My favorite part of reading his run was finding out what he would come up with next. But that leads into the other side of the coin. All of this was arguably TOO big. What's the difference between when the Earth dies (Drowned Earth), the universe dies (Omega Titans), or when all of everything dies (Death Metal)? I think it was supposed to be kind of an escalating threat, but once the Earth and its heroes are dead/gone, the story is over. Whether the rest of the universe/multiverse/omniverse also ceases to exist is superfluous.

And maybe it's just the cynic in me, but when the stakes get this high, there's only one outcome: the good guys win and everything will be reset.  Back in 1985, when the original Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, stuff changed. The Flash DIED. Supergirl CEASED TO EXIST. the stories continued, but those characters didn't there were consequences that were felt. dozens of characters died over the course of Snyder's story, but at the end, they're all back. no repercussions. And because this was always the only outcome, then does the threat even matter? It's hard to get personally connected to a story that will always exist in its own bubble in the middle of a raging sea of stories.

The Batman Who Laughs was a great character in the beginning. A Batman with the coldness of the Joker? Excellent idea (see also: Mark Millar's Nemesis, a 4 issue miniseries that i really loved when it came out). Even that initial push of alternate dark Batmen was a fun take. But by the time Death Metal was rolling, there were HUNDREDS of evil Batmen. and it was really lame. Some of them even had promising setups (Batman's consciousness takes over the whole of Gotham City), but still never developed. They were all background characters and didn't amount to a damn thing. You could've accomplished the same thing with generic super powered robots and it doesn't change the story one iota.

OK, big picture complaints aside, i thought it was a pretty great run and i'm glad i read through it all. I don't know if Snyder has written anything since, but if he has i will check it out in the future. after a long break of going back to shorter, character-driven stories. Comics, like wrestling and most other things, work best when they follow the buffet philosophy- there's always something there for everyone. 

I always get Dark Nights: Metal and Dark Nights: Death Metal mixed up. I've read the former and not the latter. I'd like to as I really enjoyed Metal. I like The Batman Who Laughs, a combination of Bruce Wayne/Batman's attributes with no restrictions driven insane by the Joker toxin turning into what he's fought against. I just think TBWL was overused in quick succession. I recommend Dark Nights: The Batman Who Laughs, a disturbing tie-in showing the character's origin. It's a disturbing book. Have you read it? Speaking of recommendations, Scott Snyder/Rafael Albuquerque American Vampire is a must read. One of the best comic book runs ever.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:04 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

I'm good thanks!

I got out of habit checking the forum around the time I got into the habit of working seven days a week so oops.

Anyway, apparently Van Sciver just posted a pic of Johns with podcast hype to stir shit up as he is truly garbage. 

Johns' path to being the 2000s John Byrne but only a writer returns to a slow boil.

Glad you're good and thanks for filling us in.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:46 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Cheers.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Anybody read anything from the creative team?

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers.

Anybody read anything from the creative team?

Gary Whitta hasn't done much comics work, but has written several screenplays (Book of Eli, Rogue One) and the story/script for several video games.  He co-wrote the story and dialogue for Telltale's first Walking Dead game.  I thought that was rather well-written.

He's also written a couple novels.  His debut novel, Abomination, got good reviews and I liked it a good deal.  It's traditional D&D fantasy but the setting is Europe during the Dark Ages (instead of, say, Narnia) and the monster stuff leans way into H.P. Lovecraft body horror.  The real-world setting was used to good effect and gave the book some grittiness I don't usually find in fantasy novels.

Darick Robertson is best known as the artist on Transmetropolitan (w/ Ellis) and the Boys (Ennis).  He's not the fastest artist in the world, so I'm expecting he'll only be on the book for six issues or have a lot of fill-in arcs.  Assuming the title is an ongoing and not a miniseries, of course.  In any case, I'm a big fan of Robertson's art.

Edited by Mario
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mario said:

Gary Whitta hasn't done much comics work, but has written several screenplays (Book of Eli, Rogue One) and the story/script for several video games.  He co-wrote the story and dialogue for Telltale's first Walking Dead game.  I thought that was rather well-written.

He's also written a couple novels.  His debut novel, Abomination, got good reviews and I liked it a good deal.  It's traditional D&D fantasy but the setting is Europe during the Dark Ages (instead of, say, Narnia) and the monster stuff leans way into H.P. Lovecraft body horror.  The real-world setting was used to good effect and gave the book some grittiness I don't usually find in fantasy novels.

Darick Robertson is best known as the artist on Transmetropolitan (w/ Ellis) and the Boys (Ennis).  He's not the fastest artist in the world, so I'm expecting he'll only be on the book for six issues or have a lot of fill-in arcs.  Assuming the title is an ongoing and not a miniseries, of course.  In any case, I'm a big fan of Robertson's art.

Thank you, @Mario!

I am gonna need this space

Dc May Solicits

Teen Titans Academy is axed, not a very good book imo, and I think DC has so many young heroes already. Should focus on the others created before those newer ones.

Suicide Squad ends at issue 15.

Prometheus is back to face Batman.

Jurassic League. Yes..Dinosaurs.

Some kinda psychological triller book with Aquaman as the monster undersea.

Any new non Batman books have to be launched after Dark Crisis.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thank you, @Mario!

Just realized that Whitta and Robertson did a book together for Image.  Title is Oliver,  It is apparently a sci-fi steampunk retelling of Oliver Twist.  Ran four issues.

Haven't read it.  I'm going to call the lcs later and see if they have the tpb in stock.  if not, I'll be ordering it from Amazon later today.

• Thanks 1

New creative team for Batman with Batman #125, Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Jimenez. Great news to wake up to buy its a shame Joshua Williamson's run was so short. I'd have shortened Tom King's and James Tynion IV to get more of Williamson. Zdarsky's been one of my favourite writers since Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 and Jimenez's art on Super Sons.

Probably could expect DC to shrink their non Batman line down in the future. So only other worlds, adaptations, crossovers, Flash, GL, Superman, Wonderwoman and the Justices brand of books.

There isn't much demand for DC C listers anymore to publish monthlys for them in 2022.

Edited by Blue Dragon