DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Would you believe I am a huge, huge batman fan and never read Dark Knight Returns?  I own it but haven't read it.  Maybe tomorrow I will do this. 

Please check this out. Cheers.

Also:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I finished a few miniseries.

I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League is the final Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire JLI miniseries. Lots of banter. The plot is secondary but there is some emotional growth to the characters (I imagine it was strictly limited to the Giffen/DeMatteis Bwahaha-universe, however.) Maguire's art is as good as ever.

Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo wasn't the Michael Fleisher Jonah that I know, and the supernatural bent wasn't handled the way I expected, but Truman's art was nice. Jonah looked too much like Grimjack though. 

Sword of the Atom was decent. It felt like a pitch for an ongoing series. Not sure it would've had the legs for that, but as an experiment in turning Atom into a sword and sorcery title, it was pretty cool. I was surprised by how quickly things turned sour between Palmer and his wife. It happens only a few pages in, and it's pretty ugly. Gorgeous art by Kane. I was impressed at the effort Strnad & Kane went to to describe the physical effects of the Atom shrinking. That was really cool. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:16 PM, The Natural said:

Please check this out. Cheers.

Also:

I started Dark Knight Returns.  Really liking it so far.   I've read a good bit of Morrison's run. I have the 3 vol omnibus set and finished vol's 1 and 2.   I think after I read vol 3 I am going to read his Superman Omnibus. I picked it up but haven't read it.  I have so much shit to read it's wild.  I wanted to read everything from the backstory to big event so I picked up  Flashpoint and Blackest Knight Omnibus books.  Have never read either.   Same with Infinite Crisis.    If you check Amazon.com often you will see some pretty good deals on Omnibus comics.   I may be in the minority but I love reading the older stories with the flashy art and glossy paper.  Knightfall, Knightquest, and Knightsend really stick out to me in Omnibus form. 

• Like 1

New Earth Prime book, the CW universe coming soon. The writers of the book also write the shows. 

The Death of JL event won't effect Clark? I can only assume he is a clone.

New Batman Beyond book. Bruce is dead.

FLASH movie tie in book with Batman.

Thought of Sam Keith for the first time in... a decade or two, lol.  Promptly ordered the complete Maxx (softcover reprints) and noticed that Keith wrote & drew a number of Batman minis and graphic novels in the mid-2010's.  Opinions?  I vaguely remember liking the Maxx 20 years ago or so, but my memory is hazy and I don't think I read the end of the series, so what I read was probably the first couple years of the book when William Messner-Loebs was co-writing/scripting.

Anyway, if anyone read any of Keith's Batman books and has some feedback, I'd appreciate it.  I assume the art is great, but not sure of Keith as a writer.

My fav Kieth thing were the Epicurus the Sage he did with Messner-Loebs he did for Piranha/DC.  It was a weird philosophy/mythology satire featuring a bunch of folks like Aristotle, Plato, Alexander and so on, very funny at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a random youtube post that got pushed to me that said that currently, 48 of the top selling 50 DC comics, most of which are way down the list as only 4 of the top 18 comics in total are DC comics are Batman related. The exceptions are Wonder Woman: Historia and Justice League Incarnate (which has Thomas Wayne).

Not 48 of the top comics in general for the month, but 48 of the top 50 DC comics are Bat-titles.

That's insane.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I saw a random youtube post that got pushed to me that said that currently, 48 of the top selling 50 DC comics, most of which are way down the list as only 4 of the top 18 comics in total are DC comics are Batman related. The exceptions are Wonder Woman: Historia and Justice League Incarnate (which has Thomas Wayne).

Not 48 of the top comics in general for the month, but 48 of the top 50 DC comics are Bat-titles.

That's insane.

there's milking your cash cow dry, and then there's DC pushing Batman over every single other title they publish, by far. F U Superman. F U Green Lantern. F U Flash. F U Aquaman. And don't get me started on the "will they/won't they" publish a JSA title. it's like they don't even try. 

The Great Darkness has been tied up to and behind the first Crisis and Anti Monitor and the Final Crisis and Extant, Super Boy Prime Dr.M and more.

Flashpoint Thomas Wayne is dead, killed by the Omega Beams. He will probably will be reborn in the reborn Flashpoint universe.

The next Crisis is about The Great Darkness.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:10 PM, The Natural said:

Please do.

little more than half way through. Not bad by any means. I like the concept. The art is kind of getting to me.  I also saw they have the cartoon movie on HBO Max  Thinking of getting HBO Max and checking this out.

Quick question.  Does anyone know if the Commercial version of HBO Max puts commercials during the movies or just the TV shows?  Is it worth paying the extra $50 to go commercial free?  I want to pay for the year in one payment.   Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:09 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

Would you believe I am a huge, huge batman fan and never read Dark Knight Returns?  I own it but haven't read it.  Maybe tomorrow I will do this. 

On 1/20/2022 at 2:10 AM, The Natural said:

Please do.

17 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

little more than half way through. Not bad by any means. I like the concept. The art is kind of getting to me.  I also saw they have the cartoon movie on HBO Max  Thinking of getting HBO Max and checking this out.

Quick question.  Does anyone know if the Commercial version of HBO Max puts commercials during the movies or just the TV shows?  Is it worth paying the extra $50 to go commercial free?  I want to pay for the year in one payment.   Thanks in advance!!

I've always preferred the smaller scale first half of The Dark Knight Returns to the second part. First time I read TDKR, it didn't feel like it merited the acclaim it's held in but a second read through did the trick. I liked the premise of an elder Bruce Wayne back as Batman, no longer in his prime.

We don't have HBO Max in the UK but you definitely need to watch Batman: The Dark Knight Returns which is split into two parts.

When it comes to animated Batman movies, my top five:

5. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013).

4. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013).

3. Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010).

2. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000).

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993).

Honourable mentions to Batman: Year One (2011), The Batman Superman Movie and Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020)

Edited by The Natural

solid last, @The Natural. my list looks similar but also quite different:

5. Brave and the Bold: Scooby-Doo (very underrated)

4. Death in the Family (specifically, i liked the multiple choice presentation of the blu-ray)

3. Return of the Caped Crusaders (i love the '60s series!)

2. Under the Red Hood

1. Mask of the Phantasm

i've never been able to get into Batman Beyond as a premise. Killing Joke would make the list if those first 30 minutes didn't exist (*shudders*). DKR is likely #6, followed by Year One.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

solid last, @The Natural. my list looks similar but also quite different:

5. Brave and the Bold: Scooby-Doo (very underrated)

4. Death in the Family (specifically, i liked the multiple choice presentation of the blu-ray)

3. Return of the Caped Crusaders (i love the '60s series!)

2. Under the Red Hood

1. Mask of the Phantasm

i've never been able to get into Batman Beyond as a premise. Killing Joke would make the list if those first 30 minutes didn't exist (*shudders*). DKR is likely #6, followed by Year One.

Cheers, @twiztor.

I haven't seen #4-5. I don't have Blu-Ray. I considered #3. Cool we have the same #1 while your #2 is my #3. Our Family Memories from the uncut Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. No punches pulled there. Yeah, I hated the prologue to The Killing Joke. I told Azzarello and Timm to fuck off here and @TheVileOne picked up on me saying that. I wanted TKJ to get an animated film for years but what we got? Fuck.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I forget if it was this week or last week, but DC recently had a week where 11 or 12 comics shipped - and they were all related to Batman in some way.  Ugh.  Nothing against Batman, but he doesn't sell me comics and I would prefer to see writers I like not shackled to the Bat family. 

And DC (& Marvel) wonder why creators are fleeing back to Substack & the indies. 

by my count, DC released 14 books this week. 9 of them are Batman-adjacent titles. Plus a Justice League Annual book that i assume includes Batman as well.

dc-02082022.jpg

Dark Crisis:

"Joshua Williamson and Daniel Sampere Team on Dark Crisis Seven-Issue Event

A Special Prelude Is Available on Free Comic Book Day with Dark Crisis #0 FCBD Special Edition

One-Shot Justice League: Road to Dark Crisis #1 Will Be On Sale May 31

In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, the homeworld of Pariah, along with the infinite Multiverse, was obliterated. Now this mad sole survivor has found a way to bring his homeworld and the entire infinite Multiverse back from the dead: Earth-0 must die. An ancient destructive force called the Great Darkness, first appearing in Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and Stan Woch, is the weapon Pariah will wield as he paves a path to rebirth and vengeance. In DC's next big event, DARK CRISIS, the heroes left behind must come together to combat this great evil and save the lost Justice League, but what happens when not everyone agrees to join the fight?"

hJ-J3kxmfYkjtNg8V6cNG4FuI4u2-mDVeSUzXx6awURroL050V-xveAU9LqxI0rw2wnPULW61nAxxOfc