DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

I've found a series I can binge read, and that's Fables. I've had a poke around and a lot of people seem to think it's an allegory for Bill Willingham's questionable politics, but to me it's a damn good yarn. I guess when I need something to binge read, I always end up turning to Vertigo. First Preacher, then Ennis' Hellblazer, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Y: The Last Man. There's this buzz I get whenever I open a Vertigo book that makes me feel right at home. I guess I was a target reader for the imprint, or perhaps it's nostalgia since the imprint was launched right around the time I got into more serious comics. 

Another mini-series I read was James Robinson's Golden Age. I have no affinity for the DC Golden Age characters, but for some reason I like reading 1990 reinventions of them (Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, etc.), which is strange because post-Crisis reboots have been bothering me so much lately. Golden Age started strong but lost steam halfway through. In the end, it wasn't anything that Alan Moore hadn't done better in Watchman and Miracleman. 

peacemakeropeningcreditsblog-16421738130

IGN can exclusively announce that original Flashpoint writer Geoff Johns is returning to this world in a new limited series dubbed Flashpoint Beyond. Along with co-writers Jeremy Adams (The Flash) and Tim Sheridan (Teen Titans), Johns will delve deeper into the world of Flashpoint and continue the story of its most tragic figure, the Thomas Wayne Batman.

First up, Johns is teaming with Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance artist Eduardo Risso for Flashpoint Beyond #0, which focuses on this twisted Dark Knight and the circumstances surrounding his return to the Flashpoint reality. From there, each issue of the series will feature the three writers working with Injustice: Gods Among Us artist Xermanico, as Batman hunts for a mysterious villain known as the Clockwork Killer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/flashpoint-beyond-preview-geoff-johns-batman

Flashpoint and what it led to in The New 52 is one of the most controversial moments in comic book history.

Edited by The Natural

So the Flashpoint World is back somehow.

Nice to know 5 Gen is mostly averted but I already knew that. 5G being averted screws up the Doomsday clock ending for Superman.

The board also has stuff on it about JSA and multiple Legions.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

oh good, another Batman book! i was afraid we wouldn't get our quota this month. 

I forget if it was this week or last week, but DC recently had a week where 11 or 12 comics shipped - and they were all related to Batman in some way.  Ugh.  Nothing against Batman, but he doesn't sell me comics and I would prefer to see writers I like not shackled to the Bat family. 

And DC (& Marvel) wonder why creators are fleeing back to Substack & the indies. 

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Flashpoint and what it led to in The New 52 is one of the most controversial moments in comic book history.

I have trouble blaming that on Flashpoint seeing that Johns never intended it to lead New 52.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Nice to know 5 Gen is mostly averted but I already knew that. 5G being averted screws up the Doomsday clock ending for Superman.

5G was pretty much dead when Dido was fired. Wouldn't be surprised if its another case where Johns changed shit up for what Didio wanted. 

I have a soft spot for The New 52 as I started reading Batman comics with a three month delay by Batman Legends. A UK publication reprinted Batman Incorporated by Grant Morrison, Batman by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo, Batman by Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason and Robin and Batwoman by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman. I only read Flashpoint a year or two ago.

The Bat books were so better to what we wound up with in Rebirth. Very few gems: Super Sons by Peter J Tomasi and the Batman Annuals by Tom King, Tom Taylor. I thought Tom King's Batman run was mainly bad.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

What Flashpoint has going for it *SPOILERS*

Spoiler

Thomas Wayne as Batman.

Martha Wayne as the Joker.

The letter from Thomas Wayne delivered by the Flash to Bruce Wayne. Moving moment.

Amazons vs. Atlanteans.

The miniseries called Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #1–3.

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

What Flashpoint has going for it *SPOILERS*

Reveal hidden contents

Thomas Wayne as Batman.

Martha Wayne as the Joker.

The letter from Thomas Wayne delivered by the Flash to Bruce Wayne. Moving moment.

Amazons vs. Atlanteans.

The miniseries called Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #1–3.

i don't disagree, but if the best things to come out of your FLASH story are all BATMAN-related, you've done something wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I just read the reveal. Wilingham kind of telegraphed it, though, as I'd already guessed it. 

Spoiler

The original plan was for it to be Peter Pan, but it was changed due to problems with Great Ormand Street Hospital.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, The Natural said:

https://www.cbr.com/dc-batman-frank-miller-year-one-dark-knight-returns-best/

Batman: Year One. Batman: Year One is my #1 Best Batman Book of All Time. The Dark Knight Returns is #5.

Would you believe I am a huge, huge batman fan and never read Dark Knight Returns?  I own it but haven't read it.  Maybe tomorrow I will do this. 

• Like 1