DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

This show flew by quick but another fun one. Glad to see Jinh Yu Frey get the win this time around and Alexa Grasso looked great again. Was hoping Andrea Lee would pull off the win over Roxanne, looked good in the first two rounds. Enjoyed Bennett/Maia, Tonya Evinger was impressive again with another armbar. Main event was awesome. Definitely didn't expect Waterson to lose, much less get submitted. Loved all the reversals and transitions in the first two rounds.

I know they probably owe fights to people and bouts fell off of this card, but an Invicta card with 8 fights (9 at the most) is the right length. Even though I don't agree with Luke Thomas' "Now the UFC portion of the card begins" line most of time, I think it kinda applies to the quality of Invicta bouts. The disparity in the level of skill in fight one compared to the main event is absurd. With their fighters getting picked off randomly by the UFC, it would be best to keep the number of debuting fighters to a minimum and allow the girls who can actually fight to take up 100% of the card space. Otherwise you end up with a card like last time, which was rough as hell to get through. Friday's card only had one fight like that (the opener). Maybe two (I was watching something else during the Peggy Morgan fight). That's an easy fix to optimize card quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the fight. Fitch did all that talking and then got kneebar'd in 90 seconds. Phenomenal.

Dude has really fallen off. Getting put to sleep by Hendricks and then getting backpacked by Maia really killed his career.

I think it's a case of a lot from column A and a lot from column B. It is the MMA Circle of Life. Fighters go on 2-3 good career runs, lose a couple fights, go to another gym to try to revive their career, and end up being used to build up other guys anyway. This is what happened to Fitch. You have to remember Kos, Swick, and Fitch weren't exactly spring chickens when they started fighting for the UFC. Swick was like 25 when he had his first official UFC fight, but the UFC is signing guys who are 20 and 21 now.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I would be a tad concerned if those three guys were still quintessential UFC welterweights. The influx of new talent has been consistent enough at 170 where we don't have to worry about that. It's going to be guys younger than Fitch (Askren, Hendricks, Thatch, Lima, Rory, Woodley, Lim) or guys moving down from 185 (Lombard, Lawler, Palhares, Maia, Tarec). If you fight those guys one after the other, you're going to get come out on the bad end more often than not. Plus, you add in the fact that MMA fans have the "what have you done for me lately" attitude. If you're not picking up quality wins on TV or PPV, you're going to look like a depreciating asset anyway. Even in his current state, Fitch can still lay and pray or smash people from top position in the UFC. However, it's going to be the William Patolinos and Sheldon Westcotts of the world that are too raw to beat him. That's not exactly a miserable existence considering he is expected to beat guys way better than that outside the UFC. I like Erick Silva, but you don't think Fitch gets by Mike Rhodes? Silva would probably merc Fitch now, but I still think Fitch would 30-27 (or a clear 29-28 3x) Rhodes easy. A win is a win either way.

Can anyone recommend something on the Invicta youtube channel?

I think their channel InvictaFC is mostly all interviews and build up videos currently, but all the All Angles videos are pretty good as are some of the face/off interviews that Julie Kedzie hosted. If you were looking for fights, their old channel Invicta FC MMA still has some full fights from Invicta 2-4, my favorite fight of the ones up is Michelle Waterson vs. Lacey Schuckman.  Jessamyn Duke vs Marceia Allen, Joanne Calderwood vs Ashley Cummins, and Leslie Smith vs Raquel Pennington are some impressive performances from Jessamyn, Joanne, and Leslie. I think most of the fights are pretty good. Shayna Baszler vs Sara McMann, the main event from Invicta 2 is up too as well as Carla Esparza vs Bec Hyatt in the main event of Invicta 4

• 3 weeks later...

Shields BJJ is very good and he's a pretty fun grappler when competing in grappling tournaments as he gets to grapple against higher quality opponent than in MMA and he's not afraid of getting punched and kicked in the face.

I see a lot of people cutting him short against Toquinho already, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to cancel out Toquinho's leglock attempts and was able to use his sub defense from the top to gas out and beat him by a boring 25 minute decision.

Can he get Shields? I always hear Rogan & Eddie Bravo talking about how good Sheilds BJJ is, and he did shut down Maia. 

Not saying that he couldn't do it, but I think it's two totally separate games. Maia can be aggressive, but he chooses to wait until something opens up before he chains stuff together. I think that played into Shields' own style because he knew Maia had to respect his grappling game as well. If you look at Shields's fight with Lombard, it showed he can be baffled by a much more powerful grappler. Fortunately for Shields, Lombard was more or less looking to dominate top position time after round one. With Toquinho's game, you can go from "Yeah, I'm doing good on the feet" to "Oh shit! He has my leg!" almost instantaneously.

Shields BJJ isn't all that great when it comes to MMA considering he went five years without getting a submission.  

His striking has always been terrible and has never gotten better.  Had an absolutely piss-poor gameplan where he opted to stand with GSP, where it seemed like his whole edge would be to possibly deal with GSP on the ground.  

Shields BJJ isn't all that great when it comes to MMA considering he went five years without getting a submission.  

Unfortunately, you have it incorrect.

BJJ just isn't just about getting submissions.

Him not getting submitted and being able to dominate by keeping top position, if anything, indicates his BJJ skills are good.