DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

Is anyone watching ONE FC? Them boys are knocking each other out with flying knees and left hands.

Oh, cool.  I'm sure you'll cover the basics like how he got into announcing and stuff.  I'd love to hear his favorite Bellator fights to call and what he considers the best fights he's seen live (outside of Alvarez/Chandler).  Also if there was a time he felt that Bellator made a significant leap up in terms of being a UFC rival and what he feels they do as announcers that set them apart from the UFC.  I'd also love to hear his thoughts on Bellator switching around opponents so much and the times they don't adhere to their tournament format.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Ask him why Bellator feels the need to erase past champs from history once they leave. Does he think Askren leaving for a smaller promotion and not trying to resign him hurts the legitimacy of the welterweight division?

Guest Edwin

Yeah, Koreshkov one upped that in the following fight with that brutal flying knee.

It looks like Warren's on his way to beating Rafael Silva and becoming the Bellator interim BW champ.

A gif if James McSweeney's flying knee KO from earlier today's ONE FC event:

James_McSweeney_vs._Chris_Lokteff.gif

Not sure if that qualifies as a flying knee KO and not just simply a knee KO,  I think you have to leave the ground more then an inch or two to be a flying knee, not saying that it's not an impressive KO.

Guest Edwin

Cause Bjorn thinks he's the 135 lb. Chael Sonnen which is incorrect.

Unlike Sonnen, he's won titles.

Unlike Warren, he sells fights.

Gonna take awhile to transcribe since we talked for half an hour, but Sean Wheelock is an awesome guy. Even though he gave me carte blanche on my questions, I didn't want to have the first time we talked consist of me bashing his employer. I did get his thoughts on the tournament format being de-emphasized, the "season" system they run, the differences between FSN and Spike, when he thinks Bellator took "the leap" into being a legitimate rival, how he'd describe Bellator to a casual fan, and lots of stuff on the PPV. Also, he compared TIto Ortiz to Zuluzinho and Giant Silva, which killed me.

We can stop pretending Pat Barry doesn't suck, and is racking up massive brain damage now right??? I just don't understand what people were thinking when they said he'd be great for kickboxing, he was getting concussed in MMA on the feet all the time. 

• Like 2

We can stop pretending Pat Barry doesn't suck, and is racking up massive brain damage now right??? I just don't understand what people were thinking when they said he'd be great for kickboxing, he was getting concussed in MMA on the feet all the time. 

Hardcore fans are so into Barry and his goofy personality that they ignore these things.  When he was like, "I suck at MMA because I'm scared of wrestling and grappling and I will do better at kickboxing again because I don't have to worry about wrestling or grappling anymore," I was like, "OK, well good luck with that."  His last three UFC losses were all knockout losses that did not come at the hands of grappling aces.  He's got a bad chin, plain and simple.  And the media and his groupies bought into his words.

Unlike Warren, he sells fights.

Meh, no one sells fights in Bellator.  Could only get an 8,000 seat arena about half full for Bellator 106.

Zack Mwekassa, Barry's opponent last night, got the gig by emailing the company and asking to fight.  Ouch, that reeks of sacrificial lamb.  Anyway, it totally backfired.  Looking up some info on him, there is a pretty good profile on Bloody Elbow.  Man, talk about a rough life.

http://hhttp://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/2/5675474/mwekassa-i-come-from-a-land-of-war

• Like 1