DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I'd love to see Daley on TUF...

I've always enjoyed watching Daley fight and wish he wouldn't have done the stupid late punch on Kos but I'm fairly certain he'd get completely worked by like ten guys in the UFC WW division right now.  He'd have no chance of sticking around unless he were fighting the bottom of the barrel.  

There are enough sluggers in the middle of the division for him to stick around and collect a few bonuses.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally watching the last Glory Show... Jesus Christ Zimmerman got KTFO... I honestly dont understand why the ref thought it was a good idea for Zimmerman to stand up and not just wave it off straight away... Ghita looked fantastic.

Because a lot of referees are not very good.

"Pat Barry, you've been badly concussed. I'm going to let you stumble around the octagon."

Bellator 111 on March 7 adds the following:

Bantamweight title bout: Eduardo Dantas vs. Rafael Silva
Heavyweight tournament: Lavar Johnson vs. Ryan Martinez
Heavyweight tournament: Peter Graham vs. Mighty Mo
Heavyweight tournament: Alexander Volkov vs. Mark Holata
Heavyweight tournament: Blagoi Ivanov vs. Rich Hale

Dudu's got this and Ivanov should take the heavyweight tournament.

It's sad this is one of their stronger heavyweight tournaments.

This just proves how pointless the tournament format can come to be. 2 immediate title rematches with more than one tournament waiting for the title shot they won.

It's funny/sad how fast Bellator's running through 2 quick title rematches they could possibly build to and use better in the future. I'm expecting they announced Newton/King Mo III soon.

Is Pitbull injured?  Or is this just more creative matchmaking from Bellator?

Epwar, all that went out the window when Spike TV got involved.  And you know it.

I think the tournaments really should just be phased out.  Maybe do them every once in a while.  Tournaments clearly don't matter anymore in Bellator.

It's funny how they give Curran a quick title shot when he doesn't really deserve one since Strauss beat him handily and Patricio Pitbull doesn't get one even though his fight with Curran was close.

Pitbull was the last guy to beat Straus in Bellator.  He beat him in the finals of a previous tournament in 2011.  

So yes, this is bullshit.  From Daniel Straus' own Facebook account:

My perception is that Bellator wants him as champ so bad not only does he get immediate rematch but gets it in his hometown damn near. Any thoughts?

He's not really in a position in his career where he can turn down fights for Bellator of all places.  Just because he's featherweight champion doesn't mean he has Fuck You Money.  Guys that turn down fights for Bellator get sued or have to buy out their contracts.

Plus Bellator didn't toss him out after the drug arrest.

EDIT:

Bellator tournament winner Patricio Pitbull Freire, the only guy who has beaten Daniel Straus in Bellator, is not happy:

Patricio Freire @PatricioPitbull
"Where title shots are earned, not given." Really???

Scott Lagdon ?@laggers82 8m
@PatricioPitbull are you injured??

Patricio Freire ?@PatricioPitbull 5m
@laggers82 no

"That whole ‘where the title shots are earned, not given’ is pure bulls--t now. That doesn’t exist anymore," Freire told MMAFighting.com. "Bellator is eating its own words. They didn’t respect my wins in the tournament."

[...]

"I won’t fight again. I will wait for my shot at the title to shut Bellator up," he said. "Whoever has the title, I’ll beat with a knockout. Nobody will take this away from me. I will get the title with a knockout."

There is a reason I've omitted those three. First off, the only thing really Aguilar was asked in interviews prior to her fight with this old lady who had no chance was about not signing with the UFC. You think that's going to stop? The UFC signed most of her competition, if not all of the fighters anyone who gives a damn about women's MMA cares to see her against. Unless they plan on doing all the shows in the Broward County and Dade County areas, no one is going to get behind mismatches like she had last night.

With Gaethje and Karakhanyan, I don't see them in WSOF in a year without ironclad contracts. The same goes for Moraes. Even with those, who are they going to put them against? You saw the sad state of affairs when Bollinger and Nam fought. You can make fights with talent that's treading water until they jump ship, but that doesn't mean anyone wants to see those fights.

In the case of Anthony Johnson, it appears (at least according to Helwani) that Glenn Robinson wants Johnson to reup his deal with WSOF and the money problem is no longer an issue. The UFC doesn't want any part of Newell right now. Those are the only two assets, if Johnson decides to come back, I see sticking around for awhile.