DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Wondering if I’d enjoy Jeff Parker’s X-Men: First Class book.  The all-ages tag is sort of scaring me off.   I’m also not a fan of lighthearted series like Batman 66.  Giffen and DeMatteis’ JL stuff are some of my least-liked comics ever, if that helps.

On the other hand, I did enjoy Superior Foes of Spider-Man an awful lot.  And a few of thr DC/Hanna Barbera crossover books will eventually make my reading list.

Also, pretty much everyone should go back and read Parker’s Agents of Atlas run.  Great run that deserved to be more widely read.

Most of the "all ages" books in that era are good, done by Parker, Tobin, Van Lente, be it Spidey,Avengers, FF or what have you. Often better than the mainline titles of the same time, much like the TAS books at DC. 

• 3 weeks later...

From solicts 

Norman is now Gold Goblin.  Spiderman is teaming up with NightSpider, another Felicia from another universe, sometimes i think writers rather play around with versions of characters they want to write about.

Evil Clones Ben and Maddy in Dark Web. Spiderman/X-Men event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Ace said:

A reminder that Kieron Gillen will ALWAYS break your heart.

A.X.E.?

I read his first 12 issues of Eternals a couple weeks ago and thought it was fantastic.  I try to avoid getting sucked into events, but I’m guessing I’ll grab up A.X.E. as soon as it gets collected.

Are he and Ribic still going to be on Eternals after A.X.E. wraps up?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, Red King said:

The new costume was ugly.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yes, it was.

Costume designs are so difficult particularly replacing a popular one. Some characters are fortunate to get a great costume from Day One like Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen.

I read the original Marshal Law limited series last month. It kind of fell apart in the final two issues, but in the wake of Kevin O'Neill's passing, I'd rather emphasize the great artwork. I really liked the coloring too. I'm mostly used to reading O'Neil's work in black and white. The color made his art pop on Marshal Law. RIP, Kev. Torquemada is still one of my all-time favorite villains. 

On 8/20/2022 at 3:34 AM, The Natural said:

3843847-AB.jpg

3843847A.jpg

Fantastic Four will kick off this November from the creative team of writer Ryan North (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl) and artist Iban Coello (Venom). Amazing Alex Ross' covers for the first issue.

Trailer:

Crime and Punishment: Marshal Law Takes Manhattan is a 48 page one-shot that offers us Patty Mills' irreverent take on some of the most famous Marvel superheroes. Originally, Mills wanted to use the actual characters, but Marvel wouldn't let him. I think I prefer it that way as it lets O'Neill cut loose with some unhinged versions of Marvel's heroes. The story is standard "superheroes are bad" fare with a generous helping of bloods and guts. O'Neill's artwork is every bit as demented as you'd hope, and Mills provides some zingers, especially if you're a longtime fan of the Marvel supes.