DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You might as well do Tales of Suspense for the Cap stuff before the numbering change and Cap takes over. 

are these "current" stories or are they 50's Cap/golden age stories? i think i have them downloaded but if they're just reprint/retold adventures i'm not really that interested. If they're semi-relevant to the 60s ongoing stories then i will definitely include them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, twiztor said:

my next big reading project is shaping up to be the Avengers. starting with #1 and leading until the end of Vol. 1 (#402/Onslaught). i'm also likely to incorporate the Captain America series (#100?- the same ending point [454?]) and any minis that i feel are relevant (open to suggestions!!!).
Anyway, i'm also interested in the multiple Namor series over the same point, but curious if it would read better to skip these series unless i was also reading the F4 series. i would be open to reading the fist 100ish issues (the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run) but wouldn't really want to go further than that.

thoughts?

i am ~10 issues into reading the Avengers (plus a handful of side/solo stories) and realize i have made a huge mistake. Rick Jones seems to be a pretty important secondary character, so i need to go back and read v1 of Incredible Hulk (luckily it's only 6 issues). Hawkeye apparently debuted in an Iron Man solo story, so i need to go back to that one. Actually, i probably just need to add Iron Man to my list, as he/Tony Stark are pretty damn involved in the narrative. There's been multiple mentions of something that happened in F4 (Namor re-debut, which i did read, a Hulk/Thing brawl that is relevant to the ongoing story, Kang's debut (as Rama-Tut), etc.) and i'm only 10 issues in. this read just got even huger than it already was. I knew the Marvel Universe was interconnected, but i guess i didn't realize just HOW tied together everything was, and how soon it started. my reads of Spider-Man and X-Men did not give that impression.

adding Hulk v1 1-6, F4 (1-102, the Lee/Kirby run), and Iron Man (Tales of Suspense and his later solo run). 

not adding: Thor solo stories, Ant-Man solo stories. If anybody knows of some super important and relevant reason to also have to read these, or anything else, please let me know before it is too late.

edit: hoo boy, can i also mention that i'm already WAY over the way Stan Lee writes the Wasp? she hasn't had a meaningful thing to say yet. All she has done is pine over the handsome men, and apply her makeup. Well, she also talked about going shopping once. absolutely dreadful.

Edited by twiztor

When the Marvel output was only like 8 books, it was easy to read everything every month and likely why it was so interconnected. 

I love Hank Pym, but TTA is skippable for the most part, unless you want to see villains debut like Egghead and Whirlwind. 

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

There's been multiple mentions of something that happened in F4 (Namor re-debut, which i did read, a Hulk/Thing brawl that is relevant to the ongoing story, Kang's debut (as Rama-Tut), etc.)

Was Kang established to be Rama-Tut right in his first appearance? I always assumed that was a later retcon.

28 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Was Kang established to be Rama-Tut right in his first appearance? I always assumed that was a later retcon.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Retcon

i haven't read the F4 issue yet, but in the Avengers issue (#8) he specifically calls it out, by name.

IMG_1634.jpg 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 4:53 PM, twiztor said:

i am ~10 issues into reading the Avengers (plus a handful of side/solo stories) and realize i have made a huge mistake. Rick Jones seems to be a pretty important secondary character, so i need to go back and read v1 of Incredible Hulk (luckily it's only 6 issues). Hawkeye apparently debuted in an Iron Man solo story, so i need to go back to that one. Actually, i probably just need to add Iron Man to my list, as he/Tony Stark are pretty damn involved in the narrative. There's been multiple mentions of something that happened in F4 (Namor re-debut, which i did read, a Hulk/Thing brawl that is relevant to the ongoing story, Kang's debut (as Rama-Tut), etc.) and i'm only 10 issues in. this read just got even huger than it already was. I knew the Marvel Universe was interconnected, but i guess i didn't realize just HOW tied together everything was, and how soon it started. my reads of Spider-Man and X-Men did not give that impression.

adding Hulk v1 1-6, F4 (1-102, the Lee/Kirby run), and Iron Man (Tales of Suspense and his later solo run). 

not adding: Thor solo stories, Ant-Man solo stories. If anybody knows of some super important and relevant reason to also have to read these, or anything else, please let me know before it is too late.

edit: hoo boy, can i also mention that i'm already WAY over the way Stan Lee writes the Wasp? she hasn't had a meaningful thing to say yet. All she has done is pine over the handsome men, and apply her makeup. Well, she also talked about going shopping once. absolutely dreadful.

When I first started doing my journey through Avengers, I went through the same situation. Somehow it exploded into me reading most of the Marvel books from the 50s and I'm currently trying to finish 1978 (did the same thing with DC but starting from the 40s). I loved how connected all the books were to one another from cameos to things from one book tying into another book.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Daredevil: End of Days. I'm not sure if this book is still canon. It was at the time it was released. Anyway, Daredevil is killed by Bullseye in the first issue, and Ben Urich goes on a long crusade to uncover the meaning of Daredevil's final word ala Jerry Thompson in Citizen Kane. The series has some ugly, but visual striking, artwork by Klaus Jansen and Bill Sienkiewicz. Unfortunately, the meaning of Daredevil's final word isn't that interesting, but it's a decent coda to Bendis' work on the character. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

So I've been ok with the current Spidey arc and willing to see how it plays out (although I still think they're going to run into continuity issues by having Johnny Storm show up in his 'unable to flame off' state).

Until this week's issue because I can't see

Spoiler

Kamala Khan working for Norman Osborn, even as an intern

ever remotely happening.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So I've been ok with the current Spidey arc and willing to see how it plays out (although I still think they're going to run into continuity issues by having Johnny Storm show up in his 'unable to flame off' state).

Until this week's issue because I can't see

Reveal hidden contents

Kamala Khan working for Norman Osborn, even as an intern

ever remotely happening.

10 hours ago, dogwelder said:
  Hide contents

He supposedly had all his sins removed by the Sin-Eater.

But it's Norman Osborn.  I just can't picture Kamala interning for a mass murderer.

Adding to the above:

Spoiler

Peter Parker working with Norman Osborn despite all what Osborn's done to him.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 6) #6/#900 written by Zeb Wells and drawn by Ed McGuinness. I was going to jump off with TASM (Vol. 6) #1 but seen as #6/#900 was so close, I waited for this. It's Peter Parker's birthday and he has to contend with the Living Brain and the Super-Adaptoid as his later ego, Spider-Man. This was the worst anniversary issue I've ever read. Since what I believe to have been editorial interference at the end of Nick Spencer's run on The Amazing Spider-Man, the book's gone to shit with Beyond and now this. What's worse is this is Spider-Man's 60th Birthday. I'm dropping the book.

Edited by The Natural

Marvel posted a list of the best Spider-Man moments as a way to celebrate his 60th anniversary:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...rom-the-comics

THE BEGINNING (AMAZING FANTASY #15)

FIRST SOLO SERIES (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1)

“IF THIS BE MY DESTINY…!” (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #31)

MEET THE SINISTER SIX (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1)

“THE NIGHT GWEN STACY DIED” (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #121)

BLACK SUIT SAGA (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252)

MARRIAGE TO MARY JANE WATSON (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #21)

RISE OF VENOM (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300)

KRAVEN’S LAST HUNT (WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #31)

MAXIMUM CARNAGE (SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED #1)

MEET MILES MORALES (ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4)

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1)

ENTER THE SPIDER-VERSE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9)

VERSUS THE RED GOBLIN (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797)

SINISTER WAR (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #70)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75)

900 ISSUE MILESTONE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6)

AMAZING FANTASY #1000

---

Agree with these:

These should be nowhere near:

My additions:

Mary Jane Watson first full appearance. TASM #42.
The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. TASM #248.
Death of Harry Osborn. Spectacular Spider-Man #200.
Confessions. USM #13.
Coming Home. TASM #30-35.
Spider-Men. Spider-Men #1-5.
Finale. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Marvel posted a list of the best Spider-Man moments as a way to celebrate his 60th anniversary:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...rom-the-comics

MAXIMUM CARNAGE (SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED #1)

AMAZING FANTASY #1000

---

Agree with these:

These should be nowhere near:

My additions:

Mary Jane Watson first full appearance. TASM #42.
The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. TASM #248.
Death of Harry Osborn. Spectacular Spider-Man #200.
Confessions. USM #13.
Coming Home. TASM #30-35.
Spider-Men. Spider-Men #1-5.
Finale. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310.

Do you have a favorite Spider Man writer?  I've been reading Roger Stern's run again. I come back to it often when I want a Spidey fix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Do you have a favorite Spider Man writer?  I've been reading Roger Stern's run again. I come back to it often when I want a Spidey fix.

Stan Lee. Honourable mentions to Gerry Conway and Joseph Michael Straczynski. I need to read Roger Stern's Original Hobgoblin Saga.

Best Spider-Man story by writer:

Stan Lee. Amazing Fantasy #15.

Gerry Conway. The Night Gwen Stacy Died. The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122.

Roger Stern. The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man #248.

John Mark DeMatteis. Kraven's Last Hunt. Web of Spider-Man #31. The Amazing Spider-Man #293. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131. Web of Spider-Man #32. The Amazing Spider-Man #294 and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #132.

Peter A David. The Commuter Cometh! The Amazing Spider-Man #267.

Joseph Michael Strazcynski. Coming Home. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol .2) #30-35.

Brian Michael Bendis. Confessions. Ultimate Spider-Man #13.

Jeph Loeb. Spider-Man: Blue.

Mark Waid. Unscheduled Stop. The Amazing Spider-Man #578-579.

Dan Slott. Big Time. The Amazing Spider-Man #648-651.

Christopher Yost. Doctor Octopus is Dead. Avenging Spider-Man #15.1.

Nick Spencer. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Tom Taylor. A Night Off. Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #14.

Chip Zdarsky. Finale. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310.

Some permanent changes to 616 reality

OMD

2099 changes 

Thor stuff with the Axe breaks old continuity.

Some loose canon before Secret Wars 2015.

Secret Wars 2015 and post it

Hickman's X-Men

They tried to reboot before with Spider-Man Chapter 1 and Hulk Chapter 1. Kinda with Heroes Reborn but that was pocket Earth.

Several previous attempts of 616 universe or Earth destroyed then brought back but came back the same in the past.

Marvel said they will never reboot, but they can still nip, tuck, add, combine, revise and more. Maybe during 100 years of Marvel... they will finally reboot.