DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

I long for the days of single issue stories that don't connect to jackshit!
When any Marvel character with a book could just have 3-5 issues of random super-villain chicanery in one issue and the the only thing that gets referenced is something in their goddam personal life with corner box in panel saying "Hey you Marvel Nimrods, remember this happened 2 issues ago? We're just reminding you because you skipped a month or some shit?"

Just Spidey randomly getting stuck in a fight with Steggron and Sauron because they got in a fight about who was the best dinosaur themed villain in the middle of Central Park while Peter was jogging while he worries about Aunt May stubbing her toe that morning or some shit

Fuck I miss 70s/80s Marvel

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

The Amazing Spider-Man relaunch is sliding down the schedules. The first issue was one week late, the second issue should have been out today and is now delayed until the 25th of May. And right now, Amazing Spider-Man #7 is delayed from the 6th of July to the 3rd of August, and Amazing Spider-Man #8 from the 27th of July to the 17th of August.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-getting-later-and-later-and-later/

D'oh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished Bendis' run on Daredevil, which was very good, and at times excellent. It didn't really break any new ground as it was more or less an extended take on Born Again, but I liked the way that Bendis did a deep dive into Matt's psyche, and I thought he did some really cool things with the comic book form. I especially liked the storyline that was basically a group of people sitting around in a support meeting. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

• 2 weeks later...

i see Marvel is releasing a slew of Miracleman variant covers in September. i hope that means we're one step closer to actually getting the conclusion of Gaiman's run.

also, once that's complete, i would really like a Miracleman/Sentry crossover. I have no idea what that would even look like or entail, but just the thought of it makes me smile.

FWmXm0HXoAQzdLJ?format=jpg&name=large

FWmXnWyXgAA8SEH?format=jpg&name=large

Spider-Man by Dan Slott/Mark Bagley, new ongoing series this October. Morlun is coming back illustrating the law of diminishing returns. I have no interest whatsoever in this even though Mark Bagley is one of my favourite Spider-Man artists. Slott is so hit and miss. Slott should have gone out on The Superior Spider-Man. That was the time to go. Only thing I liked from Dan post TSSM was the Renee Your Vows miniseries. Dan Slott's also doing End of The Spider-Verse. Get lost, Dan Slott.

Spider-Man is 60 this year and he's having a really shit Birthday. Hate how Spider-Man is now teaming with Norman Osborn after all he's done to him. The 50th wasn't good either but does in comparison to Spidey's 60th. The 40th anniversary was great thanks to Joseph Michael Straczynski on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey making his big screen debut.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I felt this way too during the brief period I had Slott's Iron Man and FF runs on my pull list.

Oof. I read a little of both and that was enough. So hit and miss is Dan Slott.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

FWmXm0HXoAQzdLJ?format=jpg&name=large

FWmXnWyXgAA8SEH?format=jpg&name=large

Spider-Man by Dan Slott/Mark Bagley, new ongoing series this October. Morlun is coming back illustrating the law of diminishing returns. I have no interest whatsoever in this even though Mark Bagley is one of my favourite Spider-Man artists. Slott is so hit and miss. Slott should have gone out on The Superior Spider-Man. That was the time to go. Only thing I liked from Dan post TSSM was the Renee Your Vows miniseries. Dan Slott's also doing End of The Spider-Verse. Get lost, Dan Slott.

Spider-Man is 60 this year and he's having a really shit Birthday. Hate how Spider-Man is now teaming with Norman Osborn after all he's done to him. The 50th wasn't good either but does in comparison to Spidey's 60th. The 40th anniversary was great thanks to Joseph Michael Straczynski on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey making his big screen debut.

I forgot the 50th anniversary had The Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish which I really liked but more importantly, Spider-Men crossover between the mainstream Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe.

• The 60th was going to have Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse movie till it was put back a year. Real shame that. Maybe Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) should have been saved for it.
  • The 50th had The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) movie.
  • The 40th had Spider-Man (2002).
Edited by The Natural

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Oof. I read a little of both and that was enough. So hit and miss is Dan Slott.

I think Superior Spider-Man was an outstanding run and his ASM run as a whole had a lot of high points - particularly early on - but i don't think of Slott as a good/great writer.  IMO, he's a fairly average writer who built his rep on one good book and one outstanding pitch.  I can't think of another book by Slott that i particularly like and putting his name on a book doesn't get me to pay any extra attention to the title, much less buy it.

I probably will give the new book a shot, less for Slott and more for Bagley.  i'm also interested in the Spider-verse stuff and Morlun.  The early part of Slott's ASM run was fun even when I thought the writing was average,  It really seemed like Slott ran out of ideas post-Superior and was probably burnt out.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I think Superior Spider-Man was an outstanding run and his ASM run as a whole had a lot of high points - particularly early on - but i don't think of Slott as a good/great writer.  IMO, he's a fairly average writer who built his rep on one good book and one outstanding pitch.  I can't think of another book by Slott that i particularly like and putting his name on a book doesn't get me to pay any extra attention to the title, much less buy it.

I probably will give the new book a shot, less for Slott and more for Bagley.  i'm also interested in the Spider-verse stuff and Morlun.  The early part of Slott's ASM run was fun even when I thought the writing was average,  It really seemed like Slott ran out of ideas post-Superior and was probably burnt out.

I liked early Dan Slott on TASM: Big Time, Spider-Island and The Superior Spider-Man (though nobody wrote SpOck as well as Christopher Yost) were great. Alpha was a real dud for the 50th anniversary. The Lizard story also. Didn't like Ends of the Earth either. I said in my original post, Slott should have bowed out after TSSM. TASM (Vol. 3) and (Vol. 4) were fucking terrible by Slott making me drop the book, I fucking loathe Silk and Spider-Verse is overrated.

my next big reading project is shaping up to be the Avengers. starting with #1 and leading until the end of Vol. 1 (#402/Onslaught). i'm also likely to incorporate the Captain America series (#100?- the same ending point [454?]) and any minis that i feel are relevant (open to suggestions!!!).
Anyway, i'm also interested in the multiple Namor series over the same point, but curious if it would read better to skip these series unless i was also reading the F4 series. i would be open to reading the fist 100ish issues (the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run) but wouldn't really want to go further than that.

thoughts?