DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

I've mostly been reading Brubaker's Captain America and Bendis' Daredevil.

Brubaker's Captain America is one of the most cinematic comic books I've ever read. It reads like a film. It has the most beautifully choreographed fight scenes of any superhero book I've read, and no matter who the artist is, the book has the same look. Even the coloring adds a lightning effect similar to the visual tone of a film or television series. It has an incredibly realistic feel to it, right down to the detail in Captain America's costume. I don't know how many years ago it was released, but to me, this is a cutting edge comic and what modern comics should aspire to surpass. Another notable thing about it is how drawn out the storylines are. It feels like Brubaker is playing the long game, which writers aren't always allowed to do when they're given the keys to a Marvel character. 

Bendis' Daredevil isn't as good, but it's piqued my interest enough that I actively want to read it. Daredevil is one of my favorite characters, but I haven't read any of the modern runs on the title. The hook for me in Bendis' run so far is the idea that all this tragedy follows Matt every time he puts on the Daredevil costume, and the notion that he should retire as Daredevil and never wear the costume again, which of course plays into the idea of how much of Matt's identity is made up of the Daredevil persona, and vice versa. The art is kind of unusual for a Marvel comic, but I keep reminding myself that I grew up on Frank Miller/Sienkiewicz comics. Some of Maleev's art is really beautiful, and some of it is awkward and poor storytelling. Bendis' over-writing isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sometimes he'll throw in a reference to a song or something that makes me cringe a bit, but that's about it. 

I am slowly discovering that there is value in comics post-2000.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Brubaker's Captain America is one of the most cinematic comic books I've ever read. It reads like a film. It has the most beautifully choreographed fight scenes of any superhero book I've read, and no matter who the artist is, the book has the same look. Even the coloring adds a lightning effect similar to the visual tone of a film or television series. It has an incredibly realistic feel to it, right down to the detail in Captain America's costume. I don't know how many years ago it was released, but to me, this is a cutting edge comic and what modern comics should aspire to surpass. Another notable thing about it is how drawn out the storylines are. It feels like Brubaker is playing the long game, which writers aren't always allowed to do when they're given the keys to a Marvel character. 

Bendis' Daredevil isn't as good, but it's piqued my interest enough that I actively want to read it. Daredevil is one of my favorite characters, but I haven't read any of the modern runs on the title. The hook for me in Bendis' run so far is the idea that all this tragedy follows Matt every time he puts on the Daredevil costume, and the notion that he should retire as Daredevil and never wear the costume again, which of course plays into the idea of how much of Matt's identity is made up of the Daredevil persona, and vice versa. The art is kind of unusual for a Marvel comic, but I keep reminding myself that I grew up on Frank Miller/Sienkiewicz comics. Some of Maleev's art is really beautiful, and some of it is awkward and poor storytelling. Bendis' over-writing isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sometimes he'll throw in a reference to a song or something that makes me cringe a bit, but that's about it. 

Ed Brubaker's Captain America is one of my favourite comic book runs ever. You bringing up value in comics post-2000, I'd recommend the following runs:

• Grant Morrison's Batman run (2006-2013). Best comic book run ever.
  • Batman: The Black Mirror written by Scott Snyder, artwork from Jock and Francesco Francavilla.
  • American Vampire by Scott Snyder/Rafael Albuquerque.
  • Batman by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo.
  • Gotham Central by Greg Rucka/Ed Brubaker.
  • Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy trade.
  • All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison/Frank Quietly.
  • Nick Spencer/Steve Lieber's The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.
  • Jason Aaron Thor.
  • Deadpool by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn.
  • Joseph Michael Strazczynski Amazing Spider-Man. High highs and the lowest of lows.
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

I am reading the same!  Are you reading the comics or the omnibus books?  If you are reading the Omnibus books  "Captain America Lives" goes on sale every couple of days on Amazon.   

Have you read Brubaker's Daredevil??

Also, 

I just was in Orlando and checked out Marvel island.  Very underwhelmed with the Marvel store and the Comic shop.  No DD tee shirts, Very limited merch.  Was expecting to drop a couple hundred on shirts and only spent $15 on a Punisher bottle opener. 

Marvel Solicts 

Avengers 2099

sm2099exodus2022003-cov.jpg?auto=webp&wi

Jane is back as Thor, well with the costume and hammer not the name. Hulk also becomes Thor with blond hair.

GENIS-VELL is back and written by Peter David again. Also as Captain Marvel again.

Edited by Blue Dragon

Roy Thomas

XMLEGENDS2022002.jpg

I noticed Marvel is publishing multiple mini series again.

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #1 (OF 5)
JANE FOSTER & THE MIGHTY THOR #1 (OF 5)
X-MEN UNLIMITED: X-MEN GREEN #2 (OF 2)
GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 (OF 5)
DEFENDERS: BEYOND #1 (OF 5)
WILD CARDS: THE DRAWING OF CARDS #1 (OF 4)
THE VARIANTS #1 (OF 5)
ANT-MAN #1 (OF 5)
DEADLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 5)
IRON CAT #1 (OF 5)
MECH STRIKE: MONSTER HUNTERS #1 (OF 5)
THUNDERBOLTS #2 (OF 5)
NEW FANTASTIC FOUR #2 (OF 5)
GAMBIT #2 (OF 5)
SABRETOOTH #5 (OF 5)
WOLVERINE: PATCH #4 (OF 5)
X-MEN ‘92: HOUSE OF XCII #3 (OF 5)
VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #4 (OF 5)
SPIDER-GWEN: GWENVERSE #4 (OF 5)
WHAT IF…MILES MORALES #4 (OF 5)
SAVAGE SPIDER-MAN #5 (OF 5)
MOON KNIGHT: BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD #3 (OF 4)
CAPTAIN CARTER #4 (OF 5)
IRON FIST #5 (OF 5)
SPIDER-PUNK #3 (OF 5)
MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M #5 (OF 5)
STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #2 (OF 5)
STAR WARS: THE HALCYON LEGACY #5 (OF 5)

On 3/17/2022 at 8:45 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

I am reading the same!  Are you reading the comics or the omnibus books?  If you are reading the Omnibus books  "Captain America Lives" goes on sale every couple of days on Amazon.   

Have you read Brubaker's Daredevil??

Also, 

I just was in Orlando and checked out Marvel island.  Very underwhelmed with the Marvel store and the Comic shop.  No DD tee shirts, Very limited merch.  Was expecting to drop a couple hundred on shirts and only spent $15 on a Punisher bottle opener. 

I have been reading individual issues. I'll probably read Brubaker's Daredevil after I'm done with Bendis. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond. The Amazing Spider-Man #93 came out this week, chapter nineteen of Beyond. I've found Beyond a chore to get through even though I really like Ben Reilly ever since I read the 1990s Clone Saga as the Scarlet Spider, then Spider-Man. in this series, Ben's been written as gullible, losing his memories, broken and abrupt. TASM (Vol. 5) #93 was the nadir of Beyond.

Spoiler

Ben Reilly loses his memories and admits defeat, lying willingly in this goop that destroys evidence. Ben melts away only to find he's survived and he's taken up a new costume and identity, Chasm.

Ben Reilly and his fans been done dirty with The Clone Conspiracy, Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider and now The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond. The only bright spot we've had is in the current Ben Reilly: Spider-Man miniseries by legendary JM DeMatteis going back to the time Ben Reilly was Spider-Man in the 1990s. Apart from that, Ben should have stayed dead. Character assassination three times now. It's fucking shit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

i've been downloading the Beyond comics with the intent of reading them once the storyline concluded. but the universal disgust in the finish likely means i'll never actually read it. but man, it's been fun seeing people just tear it to shreds. Marvel hates Ben Reilly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Between the Spencer run and Beyond, it is like Marvel editorial has no idea how to handle Spider-Man anymore and that is a sad state of ffairs

James

Arguably, not much different than their poor handling of the X books after HOX POX.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck off, Marvel and The Amazing Spider-Man for a number of reasons:

• Nick Spencer's TASM (Vol. 5) run, the second half reeked of editorial interference.
  • The underwhelming creative team of Zeb Wells/John Romita Jr for the next volume of TASM (Vol. 6).
  • The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond was shit, doing Ben Reilly dirty...AGAIN.
  • Spider-Man working with Norman Osborn...even a redeemed one. "Goblin-Inspired?!" The man who murdered Gwen Stacy and has given him such grief.

All this reaffirms why I chose to drop the book after TASM (Vol. 6) #1. I'm only getting that to go with my TASM (Vol. 3) #1, TASM (Vol. 4) #1 and TASM (Vol. 5) #1. With the exception of the first half of Nick Spencer's TASM and Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man, Spidey's in a right state. I HATED TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4).

Edited by The Natural

On 4/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, The Natural said:

Fuck off, Marvel and The Amazing Spider-Man for a number of reasons:

• Nick Spencer's TASM (Vol. 5) run, the second half reeked of editorial interference.
  • The underwhelming creative team of Zeb Wells/John Romita Jr for the next volume of TASM (Vol. 6).
  • The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond was shit, doing Ben Reilly dirty...AGAIN.
  • Spider-Man working with Norman Osborn...even a redeemed one. "Goblin-Inspired?!" The man who murdered Gwen Stacy and has given him such grief.

All this reaffirms why I chose to drop the book after TASM (Vol. 6) #1. I'm only getting that to go with my TASM (Vol. 3) #1, TASM (Vol. 4) #1 and TASM (Vol. 5) #1. With the exception of the first half of Nick Spencer's TASM and Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man, Spidey's in a right state. I HATED TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4).

There's been a leak of TASM (Vol. 6) #1. Two pages in particularly hasn't pleased the fanbase, myself included.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 6) #1 written by Zeb Wells and drawn by John Romita Jr. When the creative team was announced, I was underwhelmed as no Spider-Man story of Wells has done it for me even though I like JRJR's art. The book opens with Peter Parker hunched over in a crater and we jump to six months later as Peter interacts with Aunt May, Randy Robertson and Mary Jane Watson. The worst thing about the book is how unlikable Peter Parker is particularly to Randy and MJ.

The editorial by Nick Lowe made me chuckle for condescension to the reader "Hoping, after what you've just read, that you've added ASM (what we shorten our title to) to your pull list". We know what it's shortened to. We then get an apology/plea wanting people to stick (no pun intended) around: "I know a bunch of you probably didn't like the last couple pages very much. Don't want to cause you pain, but we have a heck of a story that we're building that I hope that you'll all enjoy enough to make up for any anger and sadness you're feeling right now."

I wanted to be proven wrong by the creative team but I'm not. With what I'm sure was editorial interference at the end of Nick Spencer's run on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5), the bad Beyond butchering Ben Reilly for the third time and now this means it'll be off my pull list. Spider-Man deserves better and it's made worse that this is his 60th Anniversary for fuck's sake.

Edited by The Natural