DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Hearing some of what Hickman wanted to do but couldn't get done disappoints me. He was trying to do an Imperial Guards comic again, and apparently he always had a master plan to lure Ewing and Gillen into the Krakoan fold. Pity it didn't happen at the very beginning. Feels like those two would have worked best with him.

10 hours ago, J.H. said:

Once Frge's Neutralizer was brought in to play I kinda had a feeling something like this might happen, just not with Moira being revealed as a traitor.

James

Eh, that's a pretty strong read unless I'm missing something. Disillusioned. Her heart not in it. Frustrated to the point of despair. I read it as her having desperately hoped everything would work but realizing that it didn't once she saw the execution. But she was knows she only has a few lives left so she had to ride this out to the end and try to learn as much as she could or make the best of it and try to make it work.

Moira has lost faith in Xavier's dream and come to the conclusion that

Spoiler

a future dominated by either humans or sentient machines is preferable to a future where the struggle to realize Xavier's dream leads to decades (centuries) of civil war and bloodshed, and ultimately results in a future where Xavier's vision is sort of realized and things still turn out badly.

She's not a mustache-twirling villain.  She's just  disheartened and disillusioned and makes (again) a personal choice to reshape the future herself.  I feel like the story has a lot of potential and a fair number of shades of gray, but I don't have a lot of confidence on how it will be followed up once Hickman is gone.  I trust Gillen to follow up, but a lot of writers will simply reduce her to the bad guy

Spoiler

After all, she's presumably going to try to recreate the cure she found in another timeline which eliminates the mutant gene before powers manifest, therby eliminating the "you took my identity from me" talking point of previous cures.

Traditionally, in X-Men, anyone who doesn't subscribe to Xavier's dream ends up being the villain.

All in all, I like what Hickman set up and am fairly interested to see how it goes from here.  Not sure it's an improvement on where he seemed to be going, though.  For quite a while, it seemed like the ending was to the run was going to be Mystique burning down the mutant utopia - probably literally - because the Quiet Council wouldn't resurrect Destiny and her (Mystique's) own greed and self-interest prevented her from seeing the big picture.  That's a pretty simple story, but not a bad one.  There's a reason writers keep coming back to it.

I am planning to buy Ewing's X-Men Red series and the Gillen book so there's that.  Pretty much only read books Hickman actually scripted and ignored everything else during his tenure as "showrunner."

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

thor2020024_cover.jpg

This April, the halls of Asgard will erupt with thunder as its greatest legends return home to tell thrilling new tales in an oversized spectacular honoring 750 issues of Thor!

THOR #24 will take place in the aftermath of “GOD OF HAMMERS,” the latest epic in writer Donny Cates and artist Nic Klein’s hit run on the title. After a scorched-earth victory, Thor and all of Asgard reel from a brutal loss. And as Thor and his allies come together so will fan-favorite creators from throughout Thor’s history! In addition to the main story by Cates and Klein, join some of Thor’s most acclaimed writers and artists as they revisit their landmark runs with all-new adventures:

• Writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Oliver Coipel reunite for a story set during their redefining Thor saga
  • Legendary comics creator Dan Jurgens writes and draws an incredible Thor and Balder teamup
  • Comics icon Walter Simonson writes and draws an all-new adventure starring his beloved creation, Beta Ray Bill
  • Al Ewing and Lee Garbett collaborate for the first time since LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD to bring you an all-new chapter for the god of mischief 
  • Superstar team Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz are back together to captivate you with an Enchantress story
  • And prepare for a revelatory tale about Odin that only writer Jason Aaron and artist Das Pastoras can deliver!

Celebrate the long and storied history of the God of Thunder with the writers and artists who helped build his legacy when THOR #24 hits stands in April.

Quite the celebration for Thor's 60th Anniversary. Biggest draw of it is the return of the great Walter Simonson. I think Spider-Man will get a similar format for his 60th this year.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:40 AM, The Natural said:

I'm all for this. Hope we find out the next writer on The Amazing Spider-Man ASAP. John Romita Jr is in my top five Spider-Man artists with Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Mark Bagley and Todd McFarlane.

FI7pZc3XEAYw0UF?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:40 AM, The Natural said:

I'm all for this. Hope we find out the next writer on The Amazing Spider-Man ASAP. John Romita Jr is in my top five Spider-Man artists with Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Mark Bagley and Todd McFarlane.

Details:

Underwhelmed by Zeb Wells. Spider-Man's sporting a broken leg turned that way.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Didn't realize DeMatteis was writing the book, so thanks.  Not really a fan of Ben Reilly the character, but I'll at least give it a try.  Was a big fan of JMD in the 80's.  

I run hot and cold on quippy, post-Justice League JM DeMatteis, but his Spectre series is one of my favorite books of the past 20 years and maybe my 2nd favorite "Nobody read this" DC book.

Zeb Wells/JRJR is on Peter is really underwheming to me.  I didn't quite believe it, but Hickman/Bachalo was the rumor.  Wells is an easy pass for me. 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Didn't realize DeMatteis was writing the book, so thanks.  Not really a fan of Ben Reilly the character, but I'll at least give it a try.  Was a big fan of JMD in the 80's.  

I run hot and cold on quippy, post-Justice League JM DeMatteis, but his Spectre series is one of my favorite books of the past 20 years and maybe my 2nd favorite "Nobody read this" DC book.

Zeb Wells/JRJR is on Peter is really underwheming to me.  I didn't quite believe it, but Hickman/Bachalo was the rumor.  Wells is an easy pass for me. 

Glad I could help. I haven't read JM DeMatteis Justice League, should give it a go. JM DeMatteis is one of the best Spider-Man writers ever with Kraven's Last Hunt, Best of Enemies (Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #200) and The Gift/The Morning After (The Amazing Spider-Man #400).

I'm with you finding the new creative team on TASM most underwhelming. I was hoping for Chip Zdarsky, Grant Morrison, Christopher Yost or Jonathan Hickman as writer. Glad Chris Bachalo isn't on art, I really don't like his artwork at all.

Edited by The Natural

i wish that article talked a little more about how long it took him and/or how many issues he read on average per day. also what his ending point was. i took me a couple years to read all of the X-Men related titles (from debut to 2000) and i'm about 1.25 years into Spider-Man (from debut, currently stalled out in 1996). 

that being said, i'm not interested in reading a book about somebody else reading comics. i also have serious doubts that he read every single superhero book. i have put a lot of time in to tracking down obscure issues and titles, and i still run into stuff i had no idea about (just found about a 3 issue Invaders storyline in a 1998 comic called "Marvel Universe", for example).

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

I remember in the lead up to Crisis, Pete Sanderson, who i think was DC Librarian at the time, was tasked with reading every DC comic up until then, to be a resource for Marv, George, theeditors, etc. I don't know if that included the funny books, the romance books, etc.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I remember in the lead up to Crisis, Pete Sanderson, who i think was DC Librarian at the time, was tasked with reading every DC comic up until then, to be a resource for Marv, George, theeditors, etc. I don't know if that included the funny books, the romance books, etc.

OMG that sounds terrible. Reading the occasional Golden Age book is fine. a small glimpse into how the writers/artists literally created the genre. reading ALL of them would be such a horrible, horrible slog. even when i was reading the GA Batman, i'd have to intersperse more modern stories just to break up the monotony. 

i had to search if he was forced to read the Golden Age stuff and this is what i found:

While [historian Hayden] White posits that historians must act as storytellers, Crisis, on the other hand, shows how storytellers must sometimes work as historians. In fact, in the pre-planning stages of the story, DC even hired a researcher to review the entire history of its comic book universe. This researcher, Peter Sanderson, spent three years reading all the comics that DC had published since 1935, taking extensive notes along the way (Crisis Compendium 6). Wolfman then took the reins from Sanderson, and instead of research-historian, worked as storyteller-historian. He grabbed the various narrative threads of DC history and tied them together into a larger tapestry, one that took a group of disparate concepts created by multiple writers and editors over half a century and turned them into a single, cohesive universe.