DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIES (2022)

There’s a TV spot for Black Adam where they talk about heroes and villains and show the Batarang from BvS, Superman symbol, Harley Quinn. There was also a split second shot of Steppenwolf from Whedon’s JL (couldn’t even make him out) and Snyder fans were so mad, they complained to The Rock and it was reuploaded without the shot. Now they are somewhat upset it was not replaced with a Snyder shot. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am gonna post this here since folks have started posting thoughts in the spoiler thread

Black Adam was originally rated R and took 4 rounds of cuts before the MPA lowered the rating to PG-13

Basically, the producers had to slice in half the number of on screen deaths

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) turned ten in July 2022. I haven't gotten round to talking about it till now because it's by my least favourite film from The Dark Knight Trilogy and there's quite a number of Batman films I prefer to it: The Dark Knight (2008), Batman Begins (2005), Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993), The Batman (2022), Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000), Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010), Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013).

I need to begin with December 2011, one of the most surreal movie experiences I've had because me and my Dad were going to see a short prologue from The Dark Knight Rises at the IMAX in the National Media Museum. Before admittance, we had to leave our phones and go through a scanner. Only time we've ever done that. Afterwards we each got a random t-shirt, the Legend one with the Bat symbol.

20th July 2012, The Dark Knight Rises opened. Me and my Dad got there early but didn't expect to be where we found up in the queue. This was before assigned seating like there is now. As we got into the IMAX theatre, I saw somebody holding up two fingers so managed to get a great spot in the centre. I thanked the guy.

So onto the film itself. The prologue lines by Bane were redone from December 2011 with the exception of "Crashing this plane". That chosen voice by Tom Hardy is still something to this day. I liked how we got an older Bruce Wayne back as Batman including the fight with Bane as no music played, a wise choice. I liked how Bruce Wayne escaped the Pit climbing up to parallels of him falling down the hole as a child which will become the Batcave. I liked Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. My favourite thing from the film and the trilogy is Batman as a symbol to inspire others, myself included. I felt the film tried to fit too much in, needing more space. Bane's plan didn't make sense, getting excommunicated from the League of Shadows but still wanting to carry that out. Talia al Ghul was a disappointment. So many people find out Batman's supposed secret identity with the exception of Commissioner Gordon making him look stupid. The character was mostly written badly unlike his previous appearances.

The Dark Knight Rises had high expectations because of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and that works against it. Both are better films and better written. Batman Begins as Bruce Wayne finds his purpose as Batman, to fight criminality/corruption while The Dark Knight tests Batman's limits, his rules. I'd give both films *****/***** or 10/10 whereas The Dark Knight Rises ****/***** or 7-8/10.

• Like 1

filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran have been chosen to head up DC’s film, TV, and animation division as co-chairs of a newly formed division within Warner Bros. Discovery.

The announcement (via The Hollywood Reporter) sees both Gunn and Safran named as co-CEOs of the newly formed DC Studios, a division within Warner Bros. Discovery that will replace DC Films. The deal will run for four years, with Gunn exclusively working with DC within those four years. The move also puts an end to a months-long search by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to try and find a replacement for former DC Films head Walter Hamada, who left the studio.

While it’s unconventional that a filmmaker is given a top executive role overseeing an entire division, Gunn’s success in the DC world — his film The Suicide Squad and HBO show Peacemaker have been massive hits — as well as his success in the larger world of comic book movies (with the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise) were likely a huge boon to him. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gunn will focus on the creative side with Safran — a producer with credits on a ton of films, including past DC films Aquaman and Shazam! — will focus on the business and production side of the division.

The report mentions that both are still expected to continue directing and producing other projects. Also important to note is the fact that, according to early reports, the separate universes established at DC — including that of Todd Phillips’ Joker films — will not be overseen by Gunn and Safran. At this point, it’s unknown if Matt Reeves’ The Batman films will be, but any future DC project will be overseen by Gunn and Safran moving forward.

• Like 1

If Gunn was truly done with Marvel then it makes total sense. Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were both extremely well received and if they want to get away from the unending bleakness that is Hack Snyder, Gunn's about as far away from him as you can get.

• Haha 1