DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIES (2022)

On 11/27/2022 at 7:05 AM, The Natural said:

Ordered tickets to see Batman Returns (1992) in a fortnight at the cinema. I hoped the film would get a re-release for it's 30th Anniversary like Batman (1989). When Batman was shown for the 30th Anniversary, I had the choice of seeing that or with Batman Returns, I should have picked the double bill. I've always preferred Batman to Batman Returns. The only Batman films I haven't seen at the cinema are Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993). I'd love to see the latter there.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, Log said:

I think I've seen Returns maybe once. I need to re-watch it. I've had it come up on a couple movie podcasts I listen to, and it sounds even more bonkers than I remember it.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, The Natural said:

Cheers, mate.

I didn't think I'd ever get to see Batman and Batman Returns on the big screen through re-release. I was 5 or 6 when I saw Batman on BBC as part of the Christmas schedules and 7 or 8 for Batman Returns. Thank you to my parents for letting me. I'm sure both were 15 on release but are now 12A.

Batman Returns (1992) was one of the only Batman films I'd never seen at the cinema until last Saturday for the 30th Anniversary. I hoped the film would be screened to mark the occasion like Batman (1989) was. I really enjoyed Batman Returns and watching it, appreciated it more. The performances by Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman, he's still in my top three live-action portrayals of the character, Michelle Pfeiffer IMO is still the best Selina Kyle/Catwoman and I liked Danny DeVito Oswald Copplepot/Penguin more than I once did. The dark tone to go with Danny Elfman's score. Batman as a killer, no, just no. I remember my parents hiring the VHS and buying me the sticker album. 

I've always preferred Batman to Batman Returns. Which do you prefer? Such a shame the film didn't perform as well as it's predecessor meaning there was no Batman 3 with Tim Burton/Michael Keaton and what happened afterwards.

My updated top ten Batman films:

10. The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
9. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013)
8. Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010).
7. Batman Returns (1992).
6. Batman (1989).
5. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000).
4. The Batman (2022).
3. Batman Begins (2005).
2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993).
1. The Dark Knight (2008).

• Like 1

Gunn said they want to work with him in the future in some capacity, maybe Crisis still. Or maybe they were just being nice. Said they want Affleck to direct a movie too. 

We'll never find out what Superman wanted to talk to Black Adam about. Dani Garcia, maybe.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:04 AM, The Natural said:

I've always preferred Batman to Batman Returns. Which do you prefer?

quite like both movies, but Returns gets my vote because of Catwoman. 

i have always loved Batman Forever. i know it's not a popular opinion, but i love everything about it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, twiztor said:

quite like both movies, but Returns gets my vote because of Catwoman. 

i have always loved Batman Forever. i know it's not a popular opinion, but i love everything about it. 

I have a soft spot for Batman Forever as it was the first Batman film I'd seen at the cinema. Tommy Lee Jones gave one of the best quotes ever in relation to Jim Carrey turning up to a restaurant while eating: I can't sanction your buffonery. One of the great soundtracks also thanks to U2 and Seal.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Never really been into Cavill as Superman so this doesn't bother me much outside of feeling sorry that he gave up another job for the role. Kind of hope they at least try to get him back as Geralt though I doubt it.

I think he gave a fin, if uninteresting, performance but was mostly hamstrung by the movies being written who has no idea what Superman is all about.

Anyway, sounds like Amazon is going to do a Warhammer 40K series with him in it so he'll be happy as a pig in shit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Black Adem debuts on HBO on Christmas Eve night at 8PM EDT.

Wait, Black Adam is already on HBO Max. So if for some reason someone isn't using HBO Max then they can't even watch it on regular HBO yet? That's weird.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wait, Black Adam is already on HBO Max. So if for some reason someone isn't using HBO Max then they can't even watch it on regular HBO yet? That's weird.

Not really.  People who are subscribed to HBO through a major cable provider probably have complimentary access to HBO Max already.  This is the case for me since I have HBO and use Xfinity.

What is cool is that I do not subscribe to Cinemax, but I have access to Cinemax series like Banshee and Warrior thanks to my complimentary HBO Max.

Edited by J.T.

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Not really.  People who are subscribed to HBO through a major cable provider probably have complimentary access to HBO Max already.  This is the case for me since I have HBO and use Xfinity.

What is cool is that I do not subscribe to Cinemax, but I have access to Cinemax series like Banshee and Warrior thanks to my complimentary HBO Max.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know how all of that works. You had said Black Adam debuts on HBO on Christmas Eve. I said it's already available on HBO Max so it's kinda weird to already have it available to watch on HBO Max and yet you can't even watch it on HBO yet. 

Speaking of which, we have a Black Adam update from Dwayne himself: The character will not be in "the first chapter" of the new DCU. Also, he has a thick skin and definitely didn't leak anything to Deadline.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1605322145768165376

This continues to be very funny. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know how all of that works. You had said Black Adam debuts on HBO on Christmas Eve. I said it's already available on HBO Max so it's kinda weird to already have it available to watch on HBO Max and yet you can't even watch it on HBO yet. 

It's a little bit weird.  I suppose HBO wants to get hooks into the market where people chose to have a selection of ala carte streaming services over traditional cable television bundles, as I know several people who subscribe to HBO Max but not HBO itself and stream Sling or YouTube Television instead of having cable.

Debuting Black Adam on HBO Max first doesn't negatively affect regular HBO subscribers who are the customers of major providers since they should already get HBO Max as a courtesy.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Speaking of which, we have a Black Adam update from Dwayne himself: The character will not be in "the first chapter" of the new DCU. Also, he has a thick skin and definitely didn't leak anything to Deadline.

He's unfollowed WB and Black Adam on his Twitter account and turned down a cameo role in Shazam 2.  Most people seem to think that he is on his way out of the DCEU right behind Cavill, only this might be by his own choice.

I have no problem with Cavill as DCEU Superman.  I have a problem with DCEU Superman being a murdering emo douchebag.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It's a little bit weird.  I suppose HBO wants to get hooks into the market where people chose to have a selection of ala carte streaming services over traditional cable television bundles, as I know several people who subscribe to HBO Max but not HBO itself and stream Sling or YouTube Television instead of having cable.

Debuting Black Adam on HBO Max first doesn't negatively affect regular HBO subscribers who are the customers of major providers since they should already get HBO Max as a courtesy.

I have HBO Max but not HBO. I think the World Cup was the first time I ever watched anything on cable. And most of that watched on Peacock/Univision while not home. 

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The only way for The Rock to recover from this is by wrestling Roman Reigns at WrestleMania.