DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIES (2022)

That was always the plan for Gunn with Marvel, at least after he was fired. The original plan was for him to take charge of the cosmic side of the MCU, but then the tweets came back to haunt him and he was fired and that changed everything.

Even if he wasn’t chosen to head up DC Studios, Guardians 3 was probably always his last MCU project.

What's ironic is about all the Snyder fans trashing is that James Gunn wrote Snyder's first movie. 

Best of luck to James Gunn, but he's inheriting this role at a very weird time for Warner Bros./DC

Not to mention, his role has had like a ton of turnover over the course of the last 10 years.

He still has to report to who is, by all accounts, a complete and total idiot. He may be co-CEO of DC Studios, but Zaslav could still muck up the works.

Edited by Craig H
  • Haha 1

I like Gunn, but everything he's done has had a very specific tone, and I'm not sure if that tone will work for a whole universe instead of the sort of palate cleanser it is now.  You can't actually build the whole plane out of the black box, y'know?

• Like 2

I thought The Suicide Squad was a notorious flop that didn't make it's budget back? It was the bad Suicide Squad film that was a hit, right?

On 10/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, odessasteps said:

The 2021 underperformed, partly blamed on the theater/streaming strategy. It streamed a week after debuting  in theaters. 

Not even a week, the same day. It was a day and date release. 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, AxB said:

I thought The Suicide Squad was a notorious flop that didn't make it's budget back? It was the bad Suicide Squad film that was a hit, right?

It was a day and date release, so you kind of have to grade it on a handicap. It was a horrendously dumb strategy, especially by that time of the year.

Edited by TheVileOne

• 2 weeks later...

James Gunn joined Mastadon and posted a pic of Lobo. Around the same time, Jason Momoa was saying it was the happiest day of his life and a dream had come true. He collects Lobo comics and thought that was the role he was being called for when he got Aquaman. 

Edit: Whatever Momoa's super happy about, he's confirmed it's not DC related.

Edited by Ligerbusa

On 10/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Zimbra said:

I like Gunn, but everything he's done has had a very specific tone, and I'm not sure if that tone will work for a whole universe instead of the sort of palate cleanser it is now.  You can't actually build the whole plane out of the black box, y'know?

Whatever they do to get out of this bleak garbage universe we’re stuck in now. 
It was ok when Nolan was doing it but Snyder is not a competent enough film maker to understand human emotions in a way that you can set a movie in a very dark tone and bleak setting BUT and this is the part Snyder has 0 insight on and that is a light at the end of that dark tunnel. 

Ordered tickets to see Batman Returns (1992) in a fortnight at the cinema. I hoped the film would get a re-release for it's 30th Anniversary like Batman (1989). When Batman was shown for the 30th Anniversary, I had the choice of seeing that or with Batman Returns, I should have picked the double bill. I've always preferred Batman to Batman Returns. The only Batman films I haven't seen at the cinema are Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993). I'd love to see the latter there.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:05 AM, The Natural said:

Ordered tickets to see Batman Returns (1992) in a fortnight at the cinema. I hoped the film would get a re-release for it's 30th Anniversary like Batman (1989). When Batman was shown for the 30th Anniversary, I had the choice of seeing that or with Batman Returns, I should have picked the double bill. I've always preferred Batman to Batman Returns. The only Batman films I haven't seen at the cinema are Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993). I'd love to see the latter there.

I think I've seen Returns maybe once. I need to re-watch it. I've had it come up on a couple movie podcasts I listen to, and it sounds even more bonkers than I remember it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Log said:

I think I've seen Returns maybe once. I need to re-watch it. I've had it come up on a couple movie podcasts I listen to, and it sounds even more bonkers than I remember it.

Cheers, mate.

I didn't think I'd ever get to see Batman and Batman Returns on the big screen through re-release. I was 5 or 6 when I saw Batman on BBC as part of the Christmas schedules and 7 or 8 for Batman Returns. Thank you to my parents for letting me. I'm sure both were 15 on release but are now 12A.

Edited by The Natural