DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIES (2022)

Mark Waid on FB discussing that rolling stone article about Snyder

On the first episode of "The Bear," a character calls a bunch of toxic fans "incel, four-chan, q-anon, snyder-cut motherf*ck*rs," and I haven't laughed that hard in months.

• Like 5

Saw Legion of Super-Pets with my daughter, and I really should have seen who one of the pets ended up with at the end coming.  Spoilered just in case. 

Spoiler

Of course the squirrel named Chip ends up with their own Green Lantern suit.

• Haha 2

I didn’t realize how in the bag I was for Legion of the Superpets until I was sitting in the theater and recalled my favorite Superman panel.

Spoiler

A50-B7-EDC-0-C5-F-43-CB-8-D9-A-83998-EB2

It’s mostly public domain superhero and animal humor that’s been in dozens of animated movies the past couple of decades, but it’s got a fun cast and the kids enjoyed it quite a bit. 

It does introduce (to me) the troubling notion of dogs on Krypton. The death of the planet has always been a tragic origin, but before I could say at least millions of dogs didn’t explode too. 

Special shout out to 

Spoiler

Keith David as Dog-El! 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I wonder if Blue Beetle dies too. What a wretched merger.

It may be saved because they want everything to be theatrical and they moved it from HBO Max to theatres.

it’s insane to think that a film with Keaton as Batman isn’t going to see the light of day. 

• Like 1

From Variety

“Batgirl,” the feature film adaptation of the DC Comics character, has been killed at Warner Bros., Variety has confirmed. It will not premiere on any platform at the studio — neither theatrically nor on HBO Max.

The $90 million production — starring Leslie Grace as Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl) and directed by “Bad Boys for Life” and “Ms. Marvel” filmmakers Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah — was greenlit in 2021 as part of a company-wide effort at Warner Bros. to create feature films specifically for HBO Max. But the new corporate regime at Warner Bros. Discovery has pivoted the company’s priorities back to theatrical features, leaving “Batgirl” without a proper home.

Studio insiders insist the decision was not driven by the quality of the film or the commitment of the filmmakers, but by the desire for the studio’s slate of DC features to be at a blockbuster scale. “Batgirl” was budgeted to screen in homes on HBO Max, and not for a major global release in theaters. The budget for the project, which finished principle photography earlier this year and was in post-production, reached $90 million due in part to COVID-related delays and protocols.

The decision still comes as a shock, as studios almost never shelve productions outright, preferring to get at least some return on their investment. It also comes as Warner Bros. is still contending with what to do about “The Flash,” a DC adaptation created — and budgeted — specifically for theatrical release in 2023 that has been utterly hamstrung by repeated allegations of abuse and misconduct by its star, Ezra Miller.

And it’s not like “Batgirl” was a small movie, either. Along with Grace, J.K. Simmons plays Barbara’s father, Commissioner Jim Gordon, and Michael Keaton reprises his role as Batman (as he also does in “The Flash”). Brendan Fraser plays the villain, Firefly, and  Grace told Variety in April that she had preliminary discussions with El Arbi and Fallah about what a sequel “could be.”

“There’s crazy stunts, crazy drops,” Grace said of the film. “She’s a biker chick, so you’re going to see her do a bunch of badassery. … There were a lot of long days, but it was so worth it.”

The New York Post first reported on Warner Bros. decision to not release “Batgirl.”

Assuming that Discovery and Discovery+ is just an endless collection of terrible reality shows, this entire merger really feels like a victory of dumb people over nerds or something. It's like Revenge of the Nerds but it's Revenge of the Frat People instead.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

The Batgirl scrapping makes zero damn sense. I didn't even have high hopes for it as something good, but I was looking forward to Keaton in the cowl again and Brendan Fraiser on the big screen again.

• Like 1

WBD is changing directions. We have to see if they axe the Flash movie and make the Snyder Cut the true new canon of the DCEU.  Or just reboot it all from scratch or just delete what they want.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Assuming that Discovery and Discovery+ is just an endless collection of terrible reality shows, this entire merger really feels like a victory of dumb people over nerds or something. It's like Revenge of the Nerds but it's Revenge of the Frat People instead.

Not even the frat people, because you have to go to college to be in a frat. Revenge of the Assholes Who Peaked in High School.

16 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

They just completely scrapped Batgirl. It was already filmed.

Wow. Not even streaming. Feel for those part of this that it won't be seen.

16 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't understand that at all. Why not just release it on HBO Max and try to recoup some of the money with blu-ray sales?

15 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Keaton returning as Batman would have moved enough blurays to make this worth releasing

@BrianS81177 nailed it twice. Ditto, @Ligerbusa and @Eivion.

Edited by The Natural

I get the sense that the new management doesn't want anything laid out by the old management to succeed, basically. If this turns into a surprise hit or a cult classic, it's just a headache that they have to deal with later if they want to go another direction.

If I'm Feige, I'm on the phone today snatching up El Arbi and Fallah for something else, even if it's a Red Dagger/Kamran spin-off mini show. Anything. I'd consider just giving them and Bishi K. Ali Young Avengers, frankly.

How does DC Studios hope to compete with Marvel Studios when they can't even get their EU off of the ground?  They may as well not release anything but Pattinson Batman and Phoenix Joker movies.