DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIES (2022)

22 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Really wish we could come up with a different pronoun to represent this. It just feels wrong to the grammar part of my brain to use a plural pronoun to denote a singular human being. I understand and have no issue with someone being non-binary. But the verbiage just sounds off to use they / them.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm pretty sure trying to introduce a new personal pronoun would create even more cognitive resistance than repurposing "they/them".

20 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

It's also been around as a singular pronoun since at least 1375, and "grammatically correct" in most modern dictionaries since the mid -1990s, after having fallen from use in the 1920s

Well, it's been used as a singular pronoun in certain constructions, like "everybody is entitled to their own opinion", for centuries. Using it to refer to a specific known person is in fact novel, and it's therefore understandable IMO that it'll encounter resistance.

I'm not arguing against it, mind. People who aren't comfortable with "he" or "she" exist, we need some pronoun to cover them, and "it" is for things, not people. "They" is the least bad option to me.

The pronouns debate has already occurred. We don't need to talk about whether or not you should respect other people's preferred pronouns, because quite simply you should respect other people's preferred pronouns. Settled issue. 

Unless you're 100% happy to be siding with the neo-fascists, Men's Rights Activists and Transphobes, obviously. Although if that's the case, you should probably say so, so the mods can ban you.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The pronouns debate has already occurred. We don't need to talk about whether or not you should respect other people's preferred pronouns, because quite simply you should respect other people's preferred pronouns. Settled issue. 

Unless you're 100% happy to be siding with the neo-fascists, Men's Rights Activists and Transphobes, obviously. Although if that's the case, you should probably say so, so the mods can ban you.

You can respect people's rights and feelings while also wanting to use proper grammar. It's not an either or thing. I support trans rights and people's choices to be binary / non-binary / whatever else comes up over time. Whatever makes someone happiest about themselves has my full support. Full stop. I have no preference to what genders a person identifies with / feels most comfortable living life as / etc.

Just because I commented about wanting a better way to word it, from a grammatical standpoint, shouldn't lump me in on the same side as neo-fascists & transphopes. I know at this point that's everyone's first reaction because of troll culture. But sometimes it's an actual, honest, no ill intent intended person trying to make conversation / get an understanding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

This "all or nothing" stance is ridiculous and is what turns away potential allies. Pointing out that "they" can lead to misunderstanding or make for awkward grammar does not make one a bigot or an enemy.

Edited by Swift
  • Like 3

It's not a debate. You're being educated.

Only you're not being educated, because you're refusing to learn.

Fascists like to play the faux-naivety game. So when someone is "Just asking questions", the questions get answered. Not debated.

But if proper English grammar (in a language that is constantly evolving, where words are defined by their current use) is so important, feel free to use "They is" rather than "They are" when referring to a single person of unknown or non-binary gender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swift said:

This "all or nothing" stance is ridiculous and is what turns away potential allies. Pointing out that "they" can lead to misunderstanding or make for awkward grammar does not make one a bigot or an enemy.

If someone has decided not to be a "potential ally" because people are direct about their grammar preferences and expect you to respect them, then they were never a potential ally.

"I would have supported trans rights, but someone semi-forcefully corrected me on grammar rules, so fuck all that!" Come on, now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

If someone has decided not to be a "potential ally" because people are direct about their grammar preferences and expect you to respect them, then they were never a potential ally.

"I would have supported trans rights, but someone semi-forcefully corrected me on grammar rules, so fuck all that!" Come on, now. 

That line was more in response to the attitude that if you're not supportive of every single aspect of trans culture, then you're automatically a transphobic bigot. That's an obviously ridiculous point of view.

In this thread, NoFistsJustFlips asked a question about pronouns and AxB labels him a fascist. How is that helpful for getting people on your side? Apart from fascists, you know who else asks questions? People who want to learn and increase their understanding and knowledge.

I believe most people are generally okay with the idea of transgender, but don't necessarily know everything there is to know or the correct terminology. Faced with confrontational posts when just wanting to discuss the topic, people are likely to just back away completely and lose the opportunity to learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Fascists like to play the faux-naivety game. So when someone is "Just asking questions", the questions get answered. Not debated.

I'm sorry. I didn't know this would turn into a whole thing. While I agree with you that is a thing that happens, that's not what this was. I was just musing out loud about it. I didn't know there was so much conflict behind what I was saying. I accept that that is ignorance on my part and I'm sorry for bringing it up at all.

This isn't the right thread for all of this anyways. So if there's more to it that I haven't grasped please feel free to DM me. But again I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to provoke anything and this wasn't me playing the intellectually dishonest "just asking questions" card. There's no way for me to prove that, so you'll either just have to believe it or not believe it. I hope you choose to believe it, but it is what it is man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Swift said:

That line was more in response to the attitude that if you're not supportive of every single aspect of trans culture, then you're automatically a transphobic bigot. That's an obviously ridiculous point of view.

In this thread, NoFistsJustFlips asked a question about pronouns and AxB labels him a fascist. How is that helpful for getting people on your side? Apart from fascists, you know who else asks questions? People who want to learn and increase their understanding and knowledge.

I believe most people are generally okay with the idea of transgender, but don't necessarily know everything there is to know or the correct terminology. Faced with confrontational posts when just wanting to discuss the topic, people are likely to just back away completely and lose the opportunity to learn.

Nobody argued that if you're not supportive of every single aspect of trans culture, then you're automatically a transphobic bigot. What people said was that how you feel about grammar rules is far, far less important than respecting someone's wishes about what you call them

@NoFistsJustFlipsis AFAIK a good person who said something that unfortunately is a common line for bigots who are "just asking questions" and will use any reason to disrespect the wishes of trans people.

@AxBmight have a harsh tone, but he's right. There are, in fact, two sides to some things, and this is one of them. You either respect someone enough to call them what they ask you to call them, or you don't. 

If someone read that and their fee-fees were hurt enough that they now are less supportive of giving basic respect to trans people, they probably weren't going to support that anyway. That's it. 

As for tone-policing, it's tiresome. I'm not trans, but maybe I have a bit of empathy for what trans folks have to put up with because I'm black. I have pleaded for, listened, debated, discussed, and argued about my humanity with people for too long in a misguided attempt to help other people avoid hurt feelings, like that's my job to do. It's not on anyone to make sure that they're really really nice to you when you say some shit out of pocket (whether you know that you're parroting dumb bigoted talking points or not). It's on you to learn or not learn. If you choose "not learn" because of your fee-fees, let's be real: You were always going to choose "not learn" eventually. 

If someone's feelings are hurt, they can think about how that pales in comparison to the feelings of people who are just trying to live and are harshly treated on the daily. 

• Like 6

@NoFistsJustFlips, I'm not a man, but the hallmark of honesty is being open to new information, and adjusting to it as it comes.  So thank you for that, and I believe you.

Everyone else: It's easy to think people are being too defensive about pronouns, coming at it from the outside.  I cannot tell you how many conversations I've seen that start out about pronouns and end up in the dissolution of friendships because at some point the mask always comes off, so you start getting shell-shocked and jumpy when people argue against them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Can we all agree that Jennifer Connelly is amazing and move on?

I think she looks great at 51, and she's good in Top Gun Maverick.

Edited by TheVileOne

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think she looks great at 51, and she's good in Top Gun Maverick.

I think I said something similar when I learned she was in that movie. Not planning on seeing it, but glad she is still working. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think I said something similar when I learned she was in that movie. Not planning on seeing it, but glad she is still working. 

It's very sad that once actresses sort of hit that age, a lot of them are put out to pasture in Hollywood. I'm glad Tom Cruise was finally paired up with a female lead closer in age to him for once.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swift said:

Explain.

In this thread, NoFistsJustFlips asked a question about pronouns and AxB labels him a fascist.

That's not what happened. Although it's very interesting that you think that's what happened.

Yes, very interesting ?

Y'know, I did begin typing a good faith response to you but you seem to be angling for an argument for some reason. I think you've misread my posts somewhere here because you appear to be insinuating something that is not borne out by my posts. We're in agreeance on the topic at hand. I was just pointing out that an immediately combative tone doesn't lead to an engaged audience. You feel different obviously.

The left eating the left, plus ça change.

5 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Can we all agree that Jennifer Connelly is amazing and move on?

I have had a major thing for her ever since 14 year old me saw her on the poster for "Career Opportunities"

Edited by BrianS81177
had the movie title wrong

17 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Rumor going around that DC is scrapping all other Superman projects and going back to Cavill:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/rumor-warner-bros-scrapping-all-superman-projects-to-bring-back-henry-cavill/

Can't see it happening as long as Cavill still wants more money and pull. The Rock apparently wanted him back and they are both represented by Dani Garcia and they still couldn't come to an agreement. 

11 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

Can't see it happening as long as Cavill still wants more money and pull. The Rock apparently wanted him back and they are both represented by Dani Garcia and they still couldn't come to an agreement. 

Hello, Bat Bud. Great seeing you appear here. Miss your presence.

• Like 1