DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So with Russia now cut off from the rest of the world and that, any chance UFC bans Russian fighters? Because Alexander Volkov is fighting on the London show soon, but there’s every chance Priti Patel won’t let him into the country.

i can't see the UFC banning Russian fighters over this. Unless the fighter/gym/management team comes out with some pro-Putin statement, which would be really stupid, but it is MMA, so who knows.  They may be selective on who they book fights for, and who they sign, but i would imagine the larger issue will be travel. Will Volkov and other fighters be able to find flights out of Moscow (or wherever he trains at)?  I haven't really heard of that being an issue to this point, but if everything continues to escalate i could see potential problems. 

And i can't imagine the negative crowd reaction that any Russian fighter will get. Here in the States, i could easily see that extending to anybody from the former Soviet Union countries (Georgia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, etc.) or any of Russia's Republics (Dagestan, to name a relevant one).

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So with Russia now cut off from the rest of the world and that, any chance UFC bans Russian fighters? 

Slim and none. And slim just left town.

They will just shuffle around cards like they always do.

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Yeah rumors of a major Cain heel turn may have been premature

Also given how much Dana and the UFC loves them some Trump and how much Trump loves him some Putin, I doubt the UFC is going to take any stand on Russia.   

What is there really to take a stand on? They are not going to punish the athletes who had nothing to do with this situation. And why should they? Plus, I don't think they're running Russia anytime soon anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

What is there really to take a stand on? They are not going to punish the athletes who had nothing to do with this situation. And why should they? Plus, I don't think they're running Russia anytime soon anyway.

I agree that fighters or athletes tied to Russian shouldn't be punished because their leaders are scumbags.  Unless these athletes are open cheerleaders for them.  Which are kind of few right now.  My point was more that Dana is probably in the pro-Russia or "I don't give a fuck" camp given his leanings and fanbase leanings

Edited by hammerva

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

I agree that fighters or athletes tied to Russian shouldn't be punished because their leaders are scumbags.  Unless these athletes are open cheerleaders for them.  Which are kind of few right now.  My point was more that Dana is probably in the pro-Russia or "I don't give a fuck" camp given his leanings and fanbase leanings

Maybe, at best. I would certainly say no on the pro-Russia part just because if anything it's fucking up their (meaning UFC's) money. Based on what's happening in boxing, there has been cancelled shows in Russia and it's gotten so bad that Oleksandr Usyk is no longer rematching Anthony Joshua. That's been put on hold, which as a result puts a potential Fury vs. Joshua/Usyk match on hold until maybe late 2022/early 2023 at the earliest. Bellator would definitely love to go back to Russia for another Fedor fight, and since Bellator is a bit more leftist given how they handled the pandemic compared to the UFC, I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I think Dana would be pro Russia if it didn't cut into their bottom line or human life wasn't being lost. However, that's not the case on both fronts. Dana tends to be pro whatever makes the UFC the most money and apolitical on stuff that is more complex than being an unabashed cheerleader/mascot. So as is, he's likely going to shut the fuck up and wait until it's all over. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Ferguson is going to have mushed brain in no time if he doesn't already. Who wants to see him fight these days? He's going to take so much damage that I'm hoping his chin is shot at this point so it at least doesn't go long. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Tony Ferguson is going to have mushed brain in no time if he doesn't already. Who wants to see him fight these days? He's going to take so much damage that I'm hoping his chin is shot at this point so it at least doesn't go long. 

This. The Justin Gaethje fight was hard to watch for the beating Ferguson took and how his body reacted near the end as he felt his head.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

They're trying to get to that Pereira/Izzy fight fast.

Strickland is a tough out though, which makes me wonder what the thinking is with that matchup. I'm guessing Cannonier is the next title challenger, and Strickland being the odd man out drew Pereira duty. That's a high risk, high reward fight though. 

Been watching a lot of ONE.  Itsuki Harata is a little menace.

Plus I love her nickname:

42a4a8609314f9b15e30fefe59a5c2e3.png

She relies on her chin too much in the stand up, though.  Sooner or later, she's going to get punched by someone whose power she may be forced to respect.

Edited by J.T.