DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I think the first season of the IFL was pretty much almost like a proof of concept for a bigger TV deal. Outside of maybe a few guys, I knew who largely everyone was who wasn't a coach. The issue was it was mostly fighters on teams on a lower tier that weren't good enough to be in the UFC. I mean that's fine and all, and I largely took it for what it was. I was already following Bodog Fight on ION, the WEC, and a whole bunch of other stuff on top of the UFC and Japanese MMA. It was an okay concept, and the fights generally weren't bad. However, I don't think it had any staying power at all. As soon as I heard they were spending a ton of money, I knew they were doomed. Maybe they were 12 or 13 years too early and could have gotten the same funding that PFL is. Maybe. Without stars in a niche sport though, what will insulate you from losing money? Combat sports isn't built to have the same type of team tradition as team sports. It just isn't. Thus, it will never have that type of following.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the first season of the IFL was pretty much almost like a proof of concept for a bigger TV deal. Outside of maybe a few guys, I knew who largely everyone was who wasn't a coach. The issue was it was mostly fighters on teams on a lower tier that weren't good enough to be in the UFC. I mean that's fine and all, and I largely took it for what it was. I was already following Bodog Fight on ION, the WEC, and a whole bunch of other stuff on top of the UFC and Japanese MMA. It was an okay concept, and the fights generally weren't bad. However, I don't think it had any staying power at all. As soon as I heard they were spending a ton of money, I knew they were doomed. Maybe they were 12 or 13 years too early and could have gotten the same funding that PFL is. Maybe. Without stars in a niche sport though, what will insulate you from losing money? Combat sports isn't built to have the same type of team tradition as team sports. It just isn't. Thus, it will never have that type of following.

fully agree. i can see why the team concept was worth trying, and like i said, correlating the teams to existing camps was absolutely the right move (probably by necessity, but still...). i can see why IFL execs thought it was a good idea, and there's definitely some meat on that bone. but in a team sport, you need the audience to connect and follow "their" team. IFL didn't provide any reason or real way to do that. and yeah, i think that while MMA popularity was definitely on an upswing at that point, it didn't have the pop culture penetration that would really be needed for something like this to succeed at the time.

in 2006-7 i was all aboard the UFC and Pride trains. i would catch any random MMA i found on TV but didn't otherwise seek it out. Saw a couple of WEC cards and quite possibly saw a random IFL show but i have no memory of it. Bodog Fight was something i didn't even know about until much later. i was pretty enthused with the rise of MMA popularity, but was all about looking backwards to whatever random ass 90s MMA/NHB tapes i could get my hand on.  RIP Battlecade.

i forgot to mention that the 4 minute rounds were weird. the Unified Rules were already in place, so deviations from that always felt funny here in the US. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, The Natural said:

Added 10 days ago. Only just seen this now. Great list.

My go:

10. Cheick Kongo punches to Pat Barry, UFC on Versus 4.

9. Joaquin Buckley jump spinning back kick to Impa Kasanganay, UFC Fight Night 179.

8. Valentina Shevchenko head kick to Jessica Eye, UFC 238.

7. Francis Ngannou uppercut to Alistair Overeem, UFC 218.

6. Conor McGregor punch to Jose Aldo, UFC 194.

5. Holly Holm head kick on Ronda Rousey, UFC 193.

4. Michael Chandler front kick to Tony Ferguson, UFC 274.

3. Jorge Masvidal running knee to Ben Askren, UFC 239.

2. Dan Henderson punch on Michael Bisping, UFC 100.

1. Edson Barboza spinning wheel kick to Terry Etim, UFC 142.

UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2 spoiler...

10. Valentina Shevchenko head kick to Jessica Eye, UFC 238.

9. Francis Ngannou uppercut to Alistair Overeem, UFC 218.

8. Chris Weidman punch to Anderson Silva, UFC 162.

7. Conor McGregor punch to Jose Aldo, UFC 194.

6. Holly Holm head kick on Ronda Rousey, UFC 193.

5. Michael Chandler front kick to Tony Ferguson, UFC 274.

4. Jorge Masvidal running knee to Ben Askren, UFC 239.

3. Leon Edwards head kick to Kamaru Usman, UFC 278.

2. Dan Henderson punch on Michael Bisping, UFC 100.

1. Edson Barboza spinning wheel kick to Terry Etim, UFC 142.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

Jose Aldo has retired from MMA.  sad to see him go. his WEC run was absolutely legendary.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/9/18/23359417/jose-aldo-retires-from-mma-released-from-ufc-contract

Wow. I was hoping for Jose Aldo vs. Dominick Cruz. Those leg kicks. That WEC run. The UFC tenure. A legend of the sport. Thank you, Jose Aldo.

Edited by The Natural