DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

FTUwH44WYAEmb2j?format=jpg&name=small

Looking forward to Julianna Pena vs. Amanda Nunes 2. Nunes handily won the first round, got into a slugfest in the second getting gassed and tapping out to a rear naked choke in one of the biggest MMA upsets ever. What's up with Deiveson Figueiredo requiring an interim UFC Flyweight Championship. Is this another case of an Interim added to help the PPV buyrate? Expect Luke Rockhold to be Luke Outcold, all his five losses previous to this were by KO/TKO.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Expect Luke Rockhold to be Luke Outcold, all his five losses previous to this were by KO/TKO.

??

Figueredo pulled out of an (this?) upcoming fight with a finger injury, but i can't imagine that necessitates an Interim title.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

FTUwH44WYAEmb2j?format=jpg&name=small

Looking forward to Julianna Pena vs. Amanda Nunes 2. Nunes handily won the first round, got into a slugfest in the second getting gassed and tapping out to a rear naked choke in one of the biggest MMA upsets ever. What's up with Deiveson Figueiredo requiring an interim UFC Flyweight Championship. Is this another case of an Interim added to help the PPV buyrate? Expect Luke Rockhold to be Luke Outcold, all his five losses previous to this were by KO/TKO.

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

??

Figueredo pulled out of an (this?) upcoming fight with a finger injury, but i can't imagine that necessitates an Interim title.

Thanks for the Luke Rockhold to Luke Outcold reaction. I was chuffed at that quip. Cheers for filling me in on Figueredo.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It was announced on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that Bellator fighter Valerie Loureda has signed an exclusive contract with WWE. While Bellator retains her MMA rights should she come back to MMA, Loureda will begin training full-time at WWE’s Performance Center in mid-July and hopes to be on NXT by the end of the year.

I am totally unsurprised.

37602156_710548559296923_893684566750291

I have seen a couple of her fights.   She's an excellent striker, but she seems more preoccupied with flaunting her fitness on her socials than she is on winning MMA championships.   WWE circus might be a better fit for her than MMA.

She does not seem to have found the balance between Instagram darling and legit octagon grinder that Itsuki Hirata has.  Itsuki is coming for someone's title.

Watch her make a liar out of me and show up in STARDOM in three months.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Why are they giving Yan such tough fights? She's a good fighter but Esparza, Rodriguez, and Dern is ridiculous.

To be fair, look at who she beat before that. Unfortunately, once a prospect breaks through a certain level in UFC, rarely do they go back down the ladder in opposition unless they totally bottom out. If this was boxing, she would be thrown a 1 or 2 gimmes before fighting another tough fight.

This is totally off topic but ...

I've been on a classic UFC binge recently (as in the SEG-era UFC) and I remember there being a podcast series a while back where Jack Encarnacao was reviewing 10 events at a time with special guests on each episode. I know it was on Sherdog but I'm wanting to go back and listen to them as I watch these old shows to help fill in some of the gaps. I found the page for them on Sherdog but the links are disabled now. Does anyone else remember these? If so, does anyone know where/if I can find them to listen to? Or are they just lost to time now?

(EDIT: They were called "Rewind: Look Back" ... I think)

PS: Mods ... if this isn't the right place for this post, please feel free to move it to where it needs to be.

Edited by onelegbrynn

15 minutes ago, onelegbrynn said:

This is totally off topic but ...

I've been on a classic UFC binge recently (as in the SEG-era UFC) and I remember there being a podcast series a while back where Jack Encarnacao was reviewing 10 events at a time with special guests on each episode. I know it was on Sherdog but I'm wanting to go back and listen to them as I watch these old shows to help fill in some of the gaps. I found the page for them on Sherdog but the links are disabled now. Does anyone else remember these? If so, does anyone know where/if I can find them to listen to? Or are they just lost to time now?

(EDIT: They were called "Rewind: Look Back" ... I think)

PS: Mods ... if this isn't the right place for this post, please feel free to move it to where it needs to be.

I haven't listened to any Sherdog show about 4 or 5 years at least. I actually was scrolling through the radio section around the last UFC PPV and didn't recognize any of the names. I dunno who Sherdog still has a partnership with cause they changed ownership a few times, but you probably would have to dig a bit to find those shows if they're older.

I think I do remember those shows when Encarnacao was hosting them because I think Meltzer at least on one of those.

22 minutes ago, Jiji said:

hahahaha, I ain't going to predict shit anymore after how badly Yan got schooled by Aljo last time but man. hahaha.

Thinking about it a little, I would say O'Malley has a bit more than a puncher's chance but it's not a super favorable matchup.

• Like 1