DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to 2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

I love Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II. My 2011 Fight of the Year and in my top three Greatest MMA Fights of All Time. I liked how the scoring split opinion between those who thought Edgar won, Maynard won or a draw. The first round was at least a 10-8 and probably a rare 10-7.

Searched for that answer a few weeks back. Not surprising but still disappointing. World class on the ground but getting modern caliber fighters there was going to be a struggle with his lack of standup and takedown ability. 

• Like 1

Dave Meltzer:

Miesha Tate is officially moving down to 125 pounds in an attempt to get a title shot after losing a decision at bantamweight to Ketlen Vieira in November. Tate is expected to face Lauren Murphy on the 4/9 show. Murphy just lost to Valentina Shevchenko in a flyweight title fight. Given there are no strong challengers for Shevchenko right now, a win by Tate has a very good chance of getting her a title fight, although she'd be a heavy underdog since Shevchenko is probably the best pound-for-pound woman fighter in the promotion, if not the world.

Miesha Tate dopping down a weight division having needed to use a towel on the scales at Bantamweight doesn't sound good. Then again look at Jose Aldo, we couldn't believe he was going down to Bantamweight after finding it difficult making Featherweight but he's made them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Miesha Tate dopping down a weight division having needed to use a towel on the scales at Bantamweight doesn't sound good. Then again look at Jose Aldo, we couldn't believe he was going down to Bantamweight after finding it difficult making Featherweight but he's made them.

it seems like Miesha has really changed her body since her pregnancy. She seems much healthier, and i don't think she's had any issue cutting weight since her return. i think 125 will still be an effort tho. Even so, a fight with Lauren Murphy is no cakewalk, even if her chance to win is good. But Shevchenko will dominate Tate any way you think about it.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 8:40 PM, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Miesha Tate is officially moving down to 125 pounds in an attempt to get a title shot after losing a decision at bantamweight to Ketlen Vieira in November. Tate is expected to face Lauren Murphy on the 4/9 show. Murphy just lost to Valentina Shevchenko in a flyweight title fight. Given there are no strong challengers for Shevchenko right now, a win by Tate has a very good chance of getting her a title fight, although she'd be a heavy underdog since Shevchenko is probably the best pound-for-pound woman fighter in the promotion, if not the world.

Not sure how that will go with her considering she's had trouble with the 135 weight cut in the past. Plus...Valentina Shevchenko. But no one is unbeatable.

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"Fuck it...just going to train myself." is always an interesting strategy.

Should make for a good quip on Dynamite. That gym is loaded though and I wonder how they divvy up allotting focus and time for so many stars. There can only be so many top level coaches to go around, right?

38 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Should make for a good quip on Dynamite. That gym is loaded though and I wonder how they divvy up allotting focus and time for so many stars. There can only be so many top level coaches to go around, right?

Usually the well known and more prominent fighters get the most attention regardless of how many fighters are there. It's the exact opposite in boxing because boxers change trainers like people change out of their clothes even if said boxers make a ton of money. 

I'm guessing Nunes felt like she has peaked after spending several years there. However, unless she plans on stealing Mike Brown or Dyah Davis away from ATT, I'm not sure how much this will improve her. She can obviously still beat a bunch of people, but I don't see her going on another amazing run.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm guessing Nunes felt like she has peaked after spending several years there. However, unless she plans on stealing Mike Brown or Dyah Davis away from ATT, I'm not sure how much this will improve her. She can obviously still beat a bunch of people, but I don't see her going on another amazing run.

same. Hell, she's been a double champ and successfully defended both belts. She beat both of the top women (Cyborg, Rousey), and did it convincingly. She ain't got shit to prove anymore. If this is part of her exit strategy from fighting, then more power to her.