DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

Original Sesame Street cast member Bob McGrath has passed away. He was a regular cast member from the first episode until... geez sometime in the early 2010s I think

He sang almost every well known song on the show that didn't require a Muppet in the lead voice position.

Bob was an institution as much as the show itself was!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I think why Bob resonated so much with me was because he always came across as genuine (not that the rest of the cast didn't).

Apparently, he was a big crossover act in Japan before Sesame Street. 

The fact he was regular cast until 2017 is incredible. I remember there was a small media stink when CTW/HBO didn't renew his contract

James

I literally sat and listened to like 10 different Sesame Street versions of "Sing" ladt night just to hear Bob's voice stand out. 

I was a blubbering mess after each version. I get the feeling I will not be listening to that song for a very long time

James

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

When we saw the re-release of ST 2 in September. , it did bring back memories of young Kirstie Alley. 

I wasn't a fan of her as Shelley Long's replacement on Cheers but she'll always have a place in my heart for WoK, probably because she brought so much personality to her Lt. Saavik. Which is another way of saying that she sucked at portraying a Vulcan but it still worked. I also remember liking the first season of Veronica's Closet but didn't follow it beyond that. RIP

Edited by Execproducer

41 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I wasn't a fan of her as Shelley Long's replacement on Cheers but she'll always have a place in my heart for WoK, probably because she brought so much personality to her Lt. Saavik. Which is another way of saying that she sucked at portraying a Vulcan but it still worked. I also remember liking the first season of Veronica's Closet but didn't follow it beyond that. RIP

Her showing emotion was later retconned by saying Saavik was half-Romulan.

• Like 1