DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

Oh man, that's awful.  Supposedly it was a car crash, but that's TMZ reporting that so who knows.  (EDIT -- a car crash while he was having a medical episode, and trying to drive himself to a hospital?? Christ.)

He was always so sweet and a vocal presence in the Palm Springs LGBT+ community.   Rest in peace. ? 

"I said to the Red Bull, 'I must have them! I must have all of them, all there are! For nothing makes me happy but their shining and their grace.' So the Red Bull caught them. Each time I see the unicorns, my unicorns, it is like that morning in the woods, and I am truly young in spite of myself. You are the last."

"If Precious asks it and it doesn't answer... then we eats it.  But if it asks us and we doesn't answer, then we shows it... the way.. out..."

Rankin-Bass - Producing quality nightmare fuel for kids since 1960.

RIP

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Douglas McGrath, the Oscar and Tony-nominated writer, actor and director, died Thursday in New York City. He was 64.

McGrath died of a heart attack, according to a report from the New York Times.

McGrath was born and raised in Texas before moving to New Jersery to attend Princeton.

He began his career at “Saturday Night Live,” which he joined in 1980, working alongside actors including Chevy Chase, Laurie Metcalf and Al Franken.

McGrath garnered credits on shows including “L.A. Law” and “The Steven Banks Show” before turning to feature films. His first feature screenplay credit was for “Born Yesterday,” starring Melanie Griffith, John Goodman and Don Johnson and his second, co-written with Woody Allen, was “Bullets Over Broadway,” which featured John Cusack, Dianne Wiest and Jennifer Tilly. The film earned McGrath and Allen an Oscar nomination for best original screenplay.

His next project was “Emma,” an adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel starring Gwyneth Paltrow in the lead role alongside Toni Collette, Alan Cumming and Ewan McGregor, which he also directed. The film saw McGrath nominated for a USC Scripter Award and a WGA award for best adapted screenplay.

He later adapted Charles Dickens’ “Nicholas Nickelby” starring Charlie Hunnam, Jamie Bell and Christopher Plummer, which he also directed, and wrote “Infamous,” which featured Daniel Craig and Sandra Bullock. He also wrote, directed and appeared in “Company Man” alongside Sigourney Weaver.

His most recent directorial project was a documentary about filmmaker Mike Nichols, which was nominated for an Emmy.

As well as writing, McGrath acted in a number of projects, including the cult TV series “Girls,” in which he played Principal Toby Cook, Woody Allen’s “Cafe Society” alongside Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart and Steve Carell, and most recently Allen’s “Rifkin’s Festival.”

McGrath also had a long association with Broadway, and had been nominated for a Tony Award for his work on “Beautiful,” a musical about Carole King. At the time of his death, McGrath was starring in off-Broadway show “Everything’s Fine.” The autobiographical one-man show, which was directed by John Lithgow, shut down following McGrath’s death.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/douglas-mcgrath-dead-dies-emma-1235429115/

Had the chance to meet Conroy at a comic con several years back. They had to bring him out early to start his meet & greet because the line was so long it was starting to block access to other areas of the convention. I was like the 4th person in line and he was super nice. Gave me a couple autographs, posed for a photo and didn't charge a thing. 

• Like 4

John Aniston, father of Jennifer and a daytime TV icon in his own right, has died at 89.

My wife watched Days religiously for 20+ years before her death, and I got roped into watching as well. Anything with John as Victor Kiriakis was gold --- he could have taught a few pro wrestlers the art of being a tweener. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, colonial said:

John Aniston, father of Jennifer and a daytime TV icon in his own right, has died at 89.

My wife watched Days religiously for 20+ years before her death, and I got roped into watching as well. Anything with John as Victor Kiriakis was gold --- he could have taught a few pro wrestlers the art of being a tweener. 

Damn. I was wondering how long he'd continue appearing on the show at his age and was still on just this past week. Terrible news, Stefano DiMera and Victor Kiriakis both gone. RIP to the Days Legend.