DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

I love Godard films. La Chinoise and Week-End for me. Seeing Goodbye to Language in 3D in theaters was the most awe-inspiring cinematic moments I’ve ever had. His use of text within the image and as a part of the experience was very artistically inspiring to me and is a big part of my personal art.

Top 3 in the favorite filmmakers category.

• Like 5

Before I became a puroresu nerd, I was a capital-C Cinephile. My attention span has plummeted in the last five years so I haven't watched movies that often as of late. But this is a big deal for me.

I was a huge Godard fan. And not just the 60s stuff, either (although Pierrot through Weekend might be my favorite stretch of his filmography), I mean the hard shitHistoire(s) du cinéma, Dziga Vertov Group, the 80s comeback, et cetera. I had even been going back to some of the video stuff like Numero deux lately, because I was considering making an AJPW history video essay series and was looking for inspiration to expand the grammar beyond other work in that vein. (Yes, I realize how dumb this sounds.)

Most of my other favorite directors were dead by the time I got into them. Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Bresson(, Oshima, Angelopoulos, Mizoguchi, Ozu, and on and on). My other favorite French New Wavers, Resnais and Rivette, also died around the time I entered my big film phase. (Also, sadly, Akerman.) But Godard, (like until recently, Varda,) was still hanging on. I admired the late modernist that he had grown into, even if it infuriated others (and even if my brain probably couldn't focus enough to watch that stuff today). 

I think I'm going to put Passion on tonight. Always liked that one. RIP

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KinchStalker said:

I had even been going back to some of the video stuff like Numero deux lately, because I was considering making an AJPW history video essay series and was looking for inspiration to expand the grammar beyond other work in that vein. (Yes, I realize how dumb this sounds.)

For the record, I don't think that sounds dumb at ALL. In fact, I'd love to see it. It sounds fascinating.

When I was shooting news, I would try to get inspiration from things other than news stories for that same reason. I'd encourage new photographers to do the same. I think it's important to look outside your given field for inspiration.

• Like 3

Silva gradually became typecast playing mobsters, robbers and other criminals. In 1956, he appeared as a hitman in the episode "Better Bargain" on Alfred Hitchcock Presents. And in 1963, he starred as a mobster in the episode "An Out for Oscar" on The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. However, he did play a comic role as one of the stepbrothers in the 1960 Jerry Lewis film Cinderfella, a parody of Cinderella with Lewis in the title role.

Other TV appearances include featured roles on two episodes of The Outer Limits television series plus roles on episodes of The Untouchables, Rod Serling's Night Gallery,  Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Mission Impossible, as well as Boris Karloff's suspense series Thriller.

Hitchcock, Night Gallery, Outer Limits. Just missing TZ. 

he also once played Mr Moto. Wild

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Mr. Moto?  I thought for sure that you'd be the one to bring up his supporting role in CinderFella alongside Jerry Lewis.

Well, it is mentioned in that quote box. 

wiki also tells me he made over 25 spaghetti westerns and crime films.

• Like 1

Y, the mr moto movie is on YouTube. And it’s about oil wells being sabotaged in the Middle East. So, two ethnic sterotyprs for price of one. But Silva doesn’t sound like he’s doing a bad Chinese accent, so that’s something. 

• Like 1